• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ranked Battles Season 8

stringzzz

Banned
    Years
    As I've seen on here, not that many people are even doing the ranked battles anymore, but I decided I wanted to see the team builds and strategies of people that actually are doing them.

My experience so far is that they are now allowing several mons that I hadn't even seen prior to taking part in this season, so I often have no idea how to handle them. I was Master Ball rank in the previous season, so I started out season 8 midway through rank 9. That being said, it's been so brutal for me that even after about 50 battles, I still haven't gotten to Master Ball rank. XD

The following is my current team for this season. Yes, using ghost types only is somewhat of a disadvantage, but I like using a theme team like this, so I won't be changing that. Also, assume all IVs are flawless minus the hindered stat:
    Spoiler:

So, that's the rundown of it for my Season 8 Team. I am hoping to see others' team builds if they are participating in these ranked battles, it would be interesting to see how they chose to build theirs. It would be nice to hear how successful others have been in this season as well, anyone reach Master Ball rank yet? Also, I would be happy to hear any suggestions for my own team, as I'm sure it could be improved in many ways that I'm just not seeing right now. As mentioned earlier, however, I will not be using any non-ghost types, this is just my thing and I refuse to change it. 8P

Last edited:

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Well, I personally don't have much good to say about your team regarding its structure. I love monotypes, but they have to be well-built for me to really enjoy them. Yours isn't. I wouldn't say that it's your fault, though. It's just that you certainly picked one of the hardest types to make a good monotype team out of, especially considering that Ghost is weak against itself and doesn't have much resistances, no matter what type it is combined with. My personal monotype is Water, by the way. Also, you're only using five Pokémon? That is interesting. I thought you would include Dragapult. Why not a 6th Pokémon?

Why did you consider this team specifically, by the way? The vast majority of this team is weak to other Ghost-type Pokémon and Dark-type Pokémon. If I were running a Ghost monotype, I definitely wouldn't use this. If you're only going to use five Pokémon, why not consider using Gholdengo, Spiritomb, Hisuian Zoroark, Flutter Mane, and Sableye? This is a slightly better team, with type combinations that circumvent Ghost's common weaknesses. That way, you can use your Pokémon's Tera Types for other reasons instead of wasting them playing defense against other Ghosts. You also don't have to worry about getting swept by Ghosts and Dark-types. Regarding your strategies, you can also do much of the same thing with this team, as well as use Prankster shenanigans with Sableye and stall with Spiritomb. Even this team's still pretty bad though, don't get me wrong.

Also, please don't take this post the wrong way. I'm just giving honest criticism. Either way, it is your choice if you wish to use it. I am always in favor of players attempting to win with their favorites. Don't mind me. Also, what are you playing, Singles or Doubles? If you clarify, I can give you information on what I use when I do ranked battles. To answer your question, yes, I have reached Master Ball rank in both Singles and Doubles. I am currently trying to go for the #1 rank, but for Pokémon Violet, I never can. It's okay though. If I fail this season, there is always next time!

stringzzz

Banned
    Years
    Well, I personally don't have much good to say about your team regarding its structure. I love monotypes, but they have to be well-built for me to really enjoy them. Yours isn't. I wouldn't say that it's your fault, though. It's just that you certainly picked one of the hardest types to make a good monotype team out of, especially considering that Ghost is weak against itself and doesn't have much resistances, no matter what type it is combined with. My personal monotype is Water, by the way. Also, you're only using five Pokémon? That is interesting. I thought you would include Dragapult. Why not a 6th Pokémon?

Why did you consider this team specifically, by the way? The vast majority of this team is weak to other Ghost-type Pokémon and Dark-type Pokémon. If I were running a Ghost monotype, I definitely wouldn't use this. If you're only going to use five Pokémon, why not consider using Gholdengo, Spiritomb, Hisuian Zoroark, Flutter Mane, and Sableye? This is a slightly better team, with type combinations that circumvent Ghost's common weaknesses. That way, you can use your Pokémon's Tera Types for other reasons instead of wasting them playing defense against other Ghosts. You also don't have to worry about getting swept by Ghosts and Dark-types. Regarding your strategies, you can also do much of the same thing with this team, as well as use Prankster shenanigans with Sableye and stall with Spiritomb. Even this team's still pretty bad though, don't get me wrong.

Also, please don't take this post the wrong way. I'm just giving honest criticism. Either way, it is your choice if you wish to use it. I am always in favor of players attempting to win with their favorites. Don't mind me. Also, what are you playing, Singles or Doubles? If you clarify, I can give you information on what I use when I do ranked battles. To answer your question, yes, I have reached Master Ball rank in both Singles and Doubles. I am currently trying to go for the #1 rank, but for Pokémon Violet, I never can. It's okay though. If I fail this season, there is always next time!

First off, I don't know what happened when editing the mistakes in my post, but somehow I deleted the part involving my Dragapult, it has been fixed. Second, more importantly, I take all criticism towards my team in the constructive sense, so don't worry about possibly being harsh, I take careful note of any ideas towards my team. Yeah, my team is generally not well-built in the cohesive sense. For the most part, I practically consider each team member to be a separate entity, with very little cohesive setup involved with switching between them. Just a side note in regards to your personal Water monotype, my team has been totally destroyed by a Belly Drum using Azumarill that also Terastalizes to the Water type AND uses Aqua Jet, lol.

As for how I considered this team... Purely the ones I liked most out of the available Ghost types in SV, hah! I thought that it was also a good idea to have 3/3 Special and Physical attackers, for some balance. Also, playing Singles, I definitely don't have the setup for Doubles. You know, I hope you realize what you've done... I've always liked the shiny form of Spiritomb, but always considered it to be useless for my team given it's not so varied moveset... But... The shiny hatching is on! XP

In all seriousness, I will explore some options with Spiritomb, will realistically go for the shiny just because. Not sure which one I will replace, but I will explore some options. Lastly, I should make clear... The whole point of this game is fun, and that is what I have really gotten out of it using such a team. As long as it stays fun, it's worth it to me.

Also... It's cool that you are shooting for the #1 spot. Why not go for the top in these kinds of games? Best of luck to you! :D

Played several more ranked battles since the first post, keeps hovering around rank 10 XD

Back