• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Game Journal] Retro Game Collecting (And Extras)

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
  • Retro Game Collecting (And Extras)

Introduction

I plan to of course (sporadically) update this with my own stuff but I would also love to hear from others about collecting and anything. I've not been active in a while, so I guess blogs went away when I wasn't looking aha. Not planning anything fancy, but just... rambles and stuff.

My first post is going to a super long read though, sorry about that. I really do hope that anything video game related that's more specific to me is allowed? I wouldn't really know where else to post it other than just making it a separate post without the Journal tag. If there are issues, just let me know, thanks :)

So uh, I guess this first introduction post is under construction really. I'll probably find some old posts I've made and recycle the CSS from there and then eventually improve it?

Currently Playing (And possibly may not finish):

Final Fantasy VI Advance - GBA
    Last Bible II - GBC
    The Nightmare Before Christmas: The Pumpkin King - GBA
    Oriental Blue: Ao no Tengai - GBA
    Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux - 3DS
    Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster - Switch
    Shin Megami Tensei V - Switch

StarCraft: Remastered - PC I give up, I suck too much at RTS games lol

Games Finished since starting this thread:

Another Bible - GB
    Black Matrix Zero - GBA
    Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled - DS
    Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart - GBA
    Fragrant Story - 3DS
    Math Patrol: The Kleptoid Threat - GBA
    Pokemon: Green Version - GB
    Pokemon: HeartGold Version - DS
    Tomato Adventure - GBA

Usually copyright goes here or something

Last edited:

tabor62

Years
  • 10 Years of Collecting, A Retro Retrospection

Retro Game Collecting (And Extras)

This is the earliest photo of my collection (circa late 2012, early 2013). It's the only picture I have ever posted of my collection to the wider internet (and if I recall correctly it was taken because of a post here talking about game collections, RIP the old video game forum). It's also an ugly mess. I've even got some random junk in-frame like Yu-Gi-Oh! cards and hair ties. But it's the closest representation of when I first started collecting retro video games. The forum I originally posted this on still is around, but they've long since reorganized some of the sections within it causing the original post to be essentially inaccessible unless maybe I manually search through each post I have made? That would take too long.

My interest with retro games really started with a friend of mine I had met at a summer program. I hadn't really bothered with such things, sticking only to playing older games I had already tried or l already owned. But their interest spilled over to me, and I started emulating games I wouldn't have previously thought about like Earthbound. I ended up having a lot of fun and checking out YouTubers like the Angry Video Game nerd.

It was the AVGN and his amazing game room that inspired me to start collecting and eventually checking out forums like NintendoAge and Digital Press looking for like-minded people. Like the AVGN, I had decided to go for some of everything. And so, with my meager amount of money as a kid, I purchased as much as I could, targeting the cheaper items that I was able to afford easily and bulk out my collection with. Some of the items in that photo are no longer with me, like some of those boxed SNES games. I had won them in a raffle thinking it would be the start of my boxed SNES collection, but I've only retained 1 of them for gameplay reasons (Raiden Trad, which is a great shmup series by the way.). Skylanders figures exploded in number and I very quickly gave up on that.

(Side note, that red pencil case is a wonderful way to store loose GBA carts by the way. I purchased a second one from a thrift store years later to separate any games I would play and games I would just own. Or I thought I purchased a second one. It was a knock-off lookalike that honestly feels cheaper and more brittle.)

I want to say I regret my cheap early scattergun approach but I don't. Yes, I wish I bought certain sets of games for ultra cheap compared to current prices, I didn't actually have that kind of opportunity. I didn't really go to things like swap meets on my own. A lot of buying was done in my immediate area like through GameStops and Craigslist listings, which heavily limited my pickings. I still remember when I was in high school, taking the bus to a GameStop farther away from my in order to purchase a cartridge only copy of Final Fantasy IV Advance, then walking 20-30 minutes to another GameStop nearby to pick up a cart only copy of Riviera: The Promised Land. It was my first time going so far out on my own, and on a bus line I had never taken before so that was nerve wracking. Also massive shout-out to the GameStop employee who let me buy Riviera even though I ended up 10 cents short, it would have been soul crushing to have to go out so far on my own and pay for bus fare only to be denied at the last hurdle so you really did me a solid.

That was years ago. People change, and so do collections. I no longer collect anything except GameBoy games, with a little more focus on the GameBoy Advance. Why the GameBoy? Because I have tons of nostalgia with that family of systems. I have an attachment to it unlike other game systems, of which the only similar system would be the DS which I don't collect for. And with that decision, I also started focusing on collecting strictly boxed games so that it could be displayed rather than squirreled away in storage. And no, I'm not into sealed or graded games. Unless I purposely plan to open it myself or I find it at a reasonable/lower than boxed price I do not buy sealed games. In addition, I open all sealed games I own eventually, just so I can have the experience and to see what items come with the game in a new state. Now, my ultimate goal is to collect for all 3 systems, every single release, every region variant, even stuff like games that were imported into countries with no official release of that game. Much like my copy of Bratz: The Movie that was imported into Portugal featuring a translation of the back box text into Portuguese that was stuck on the back. I will never finish my collection, but I will always have something new to chase and that is wonderful. The goal is there, but it really is about the journey for me.

After I had graduated from high school was when I first started working, which meant actual disposable income and not just what I could scrounge up as a kid. I was able to use Paypal instead of the occasional overpriced GreenDot purchase I allowed myself. I could finally start surfing eBay for items on a regular basis. I initially gorged myself on Japanese games and cheap $5 sealed games like Unfabulous and Zoey 101, stuff you could find for a lot cheaper than everything else. Now, this time period is when I would look back and actually regret going to shelf fillers over stand-out titles I personally enjoyed and would probably see go up in price. I had gotten hand-me-down shelves from someone I knew and I really wanted to start filling them out with games. I've got some of those kinds of games on my shelf now, but I still beat myself up for the decisions younger me made.

In August 2015 I started using a website called VGCollect to track which games I had owned. Some games I had to add to their database myself, my Japanese games mostly. At the time, I felt annoyed with their rules on how to format things within the database and quickly gave up on adding new items. Around the same time I had also taken to using Google Sheets as another way to track which games I owned and I decided to go with it after kicking VGCollect to the curb. This went on for a few years, and during that time I didn't share any more photos with the internet other than a few "recent purchases" photos on this very blog.

In 2019 I realized that there are a lot of things that aren't scanned or recorded on the internet. Sure there are scans of manuals and boxes for popular games like Fire Emblem that are online and even Nintendo themselves has provided manual scans of certain games, but there are so many that just don't get a chance. After all, who would care about scanning and sharing stuff like the box art of a Danish variant of Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy on the GBA? And so I returned to VGCollect hoping to start filling in missing information where I could, primarily for items I owned for easy verification purposes.

I say scans, but at this point in time I didn't even have a scanner. I used my phone camera, which led to blurry photos with terrible lighting. I also did not use GIMP until recently, which led to poorly cropped photos as the Photo Editor in Windows 10 only allows you to rotate images by whole degrees unlike GIMP which allows by tenths and hundredths, very very useful. To add onto this fact, I started to attempt to fill out more information into VGCollect that I had not previously, like IDs that would help identify different parts of the game (like for the boxes and manuals independently of the carts), and transcriptions of the back box art text.

After doing this for a short time I finally decided that I was going to get a scanner (and Acrobat Pro for those sweet sweet offline pdf editing tools). Put my money where my mouth was and actually invest some money into a cheap EPSON scanner to help archive box art and such. Now, even with this my scans (especially my earlier scans) are not the most amazing. But I think they fly okay, they're not horrible. They help preserve details that may have been lost just due to the lack of interest. In May 2021, I started to upload full box art scans (including the flaps and sides of boxes), entire manual scans, and insert scans to The Internet Archive. Nearly a year later I am still uploading what I can and still have much to go before I even exhaust every single box and manual I currently own.

And so that brings us to the present. Posting to Instagram. Uploading material to the Internet Archive. Adding what I can to VGCollect. There is always more to archive, more to add to databases, more that needs to be saved before it's lost forever. And it's why I do what I do. It really just started out as wanting to be like the AVGN and other retro game collectors online, ultimately leading to my efforts to catalog and upload information so that people could have the information accessible. Always more to do, always so much more to do.

As you can see, my collection has grown substantially since 2012 (please ignore any signs of untidy areas behind the shelf). The majority of my collection is made up of North American and European GBA games, but I've got an okay amount of GB/GBC games as well as Japanese titles. I like to think I've done pretty well for myself. The only thing not showing in this picture really are my consoles (of which I have little) and my GBA Video releases (which I don't have too much space for on the shelf at the moment, might need to see about clearing out that bottom shelf which isn't pictured).

So, where do I see myself in the future? Well, I will continue collecting boxed GameBoy games, maybe one day having enough games to have multiple filled shelves like all the YouTubers do. I will continue adding and scanning information to various places online. I will continue sharing various bits and bobs on my Instagram. But most importantly, I will continue having fun and enjoying myself. Maybe I seem like a shelf collector to some, but my love for retro games goes beyond just playing and collecting the greats and the underdogs. I will continue to show my love for all that shovelware.

Last edited:

tabor62

Years
  • Well, I beat a game for the first time in a few months, Math Patrol. Not... the best game. Or even a good game. But it's an edutainment game for the GBA, what can you really expect? I'd be more blown away if it was amazing. The controls were clunky and even with just basic math, having to do that while shooting at the correct targets was not a good time. But it was short and I finally got around to it after starting it like a year ago.

There was supposed to be a sequel but it never panned out for whatever reason.

Last edited:

tabor62

Years
  • Oh boy, I have beaten a number of games since the last post I just never posted here, so let's just go down the list in alphabetical order shall we?

Black Matrix Zero:

It was a cool Isometric SRPG (think FF Tactics). The English Translation was an extremely basic one, not even doing all of the menus. However, as pointed out to me previously, if you have played strategy games before the patch is plenty enough to get through the game even if you cannot read Japanese. It doesn't save at the end so I probably spent 12-12.5 hours on the game overall.

I preferred the system of being able to revive down teammates by using a healing spell on them when at 0 HP. Not really an issue in Strategy RPGs, but I so hate how in some RPGs when someone dies after you've already targeted them with a healing spell and it gets wasted. I also like that you can set a default response to attacks for individual members without needing to learn it (defend, counter, or dodge). Also, you're allowed to use any combo of attack, move, or magic plus item as a free action which allows for a lot of flexibility.

It's also more basic than FF Tactics games as all members of the same side will move at the same time rather than alternating based on stats. In addition, the chances of missing a move is next to non-existent unless they are set to dodge. Teammates only take 1 damage from friendly fire in-case you need to attack through them with a spear for example.

However there are some issues. A more minor issue is that if you attack a line of 2 enemies with a spear, if you target the one closest to you, it will only hit them whereas I'd expect it to hit both by default. So make sure to always target the further one. This game is incredibly linear and fast. There are 0 side missions and I was able to beat the game in about 12 hours including minimal grinding. It primarily goes from mission to story to mission. On certain occasions it takes you to a town. It is the only times you can buy items and weapons from a shop which really sucks that you aren't allowed to just waltz in anytime you want honestly.

I say you should give it a go if you can, but don't lose sleep if you don't want to import a copy.

Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled:

I enjoyed it for what it was but the constant encounters and occasional soft-lock glitches kind of ruins it. I can't recommend it unless you really want another Chrono Trigger-like RPG battle system.

I overgrinded, but the constant encounters made it necessary in my eyes. Running guarantees each enemy gets 1 action so you get hit a ton just exploring an area.

Also really like the color scheme and design of the final area.

Perhaps one day there will be a sequel from the previous studio members that addresses these sorts of issues.

Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart:

Technically I haven't beaten it as there is a post-game second story as it were.

The game itself can be quite annoying at the beginning. As you are a caravan, there are rations to be considered meaning that initially, traveling anywhere runs the risk of running out of food. It's easier as later as you get characters whose "attacks" are to find money out of thin air which helps with replenishing rations.

I didn't quite understand the Heart function of the game, I just fused monsters until I liked them and then just leveled them up to try and get better versions of their spells and abilities (especially healing type ones that are extremely necessary imo).

The final boss was a pain, with the first form luring you into a false sense of security with how easy it was. The second form will wope the floor with you if you aren't ready. They use a spell that deals hundreds if damage over your entire party and I guess increasing your defense doesn't count against magic. I had to buy several World Dews in order to consistently top up my party's health. And mind the Curses too.

All in all, I ultimately had a nice time and may return to the second part sometime. I've already done some of it, but there are just so many games to get through that I've opted to move on for now.

I give it a 7 out of 10.

Pokemon: Green Version:

I can now say I beat it. Wild that I was able to beat my way through Pokemon 10+ levels higher than me using type advantages and Hyper Potions. Kind of had to do it though, since the majority of Victory Road is like, level 20-something 1st evolutions making grinding before the League impossible. I probably just don't understand Gen 1 mechanics, or DVs, or whatever it was :B

Even using Serebii and Bulbapedia to help translate moves and items was still tough since the early games are more limited and don't do things like color-code move types during battles, no images to accompany items, etc.

I'm glad I did it though, got to see wacky sprites that got trashed in a way more organic than just scrolling through the internet.

Pokemon: HeartGold Version:

Not much to say about this one, just beat it cuz might as well.

Tomato Adventure:

Perhaps someone will translate Koto Battle one day?

I enjoyed the dexterity involved in fights. You essentially played a tiny mini-game before each attack which determined the power of the attack.

The thing that pissed me off though was that successful attacks filled up the special bar, but failures meant a complete drain of it. I feel this is bullshit given that some of the attacks were up to luck.

I could definitely see the influences this had on Mario & Luigi though, like character running around on menus as a tutorial and the aesthetics of the game.

It was a short RPG at only 14 hours but it came to a very fitting level 62 end. Too bad there was never a Pepper themed follow-up.

Last edited:

tabor62

Years
  • I picked up a rather uncommon GBA game recently. It seems silly, but I have seen a few sell in the past few years for $200. Granted, there is a copy on eBay for $220 and one I saw off eBay for $150 that don't seem to be selling at the moment, but given its... undesirability to most people and steep price it can take time to find a buyer. Fortunately for my wallet, I did not pay anything near even $150 for my copy (though mine is beat up on the sides with creases and what not).

Yes, this is seriously an uncommon game. Then again, games like Paws & Claws: Best Friends - Dogs & Cats for the GBA are uncommon to see complete in box yet sell for a pittance compared to this game. It can be hard to tell which shovelware is genuinely rare, or rarely sold due to its low value and desirability.

Whatever the case, I am very happy to be able to add this to my collection.

Oh yeah I beat Another Bible for the GB since my last post as well.

It was a very simple SRPG. Technically a Shin Megami Tensei game, it doesn't resemble the mainline games at all. I've never played any of the Majin Tensei games but I imagine it's more like that.

The story is really simplistic and moves way too quickly. The hero is trusted by others far too easily making it feel odd and unrealistic. Also imagine my surprise when I had to time travel into the future to fight mechs and a literal living bible.

An interesting game, but too easy. You can easily make specific characters ultra powerful. Seriously, while everyone was doing 1 damage at a time to the 2nd form of the final boss, one of my characters single-handedly did 40+ damage per hit. Balancing issues I suppose.

But hey, I can give these things a pass given it's an OG GB game. I also would assume it was made for kids given the SD/chibi looking graphics of the characters. Those freak-ish eyes. *shudders*

Can't recommend buying a CIB copy to play. Emualte it or just get a cart only copy (which can also be pricey by itself).

I give it a 5.5/10

Also big shout out and thanks to Aeon Genesis for the translation.

I also "beat" Fragrant Story for the 3DS as well but... it's very very mediocre, a 3.5/10. If you want to play it yourself please get the digital copy for a few bucks.

Last edited:
    Back