• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So Confused About Fakes T__T

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2011
    Hey guys New member here, and came with a concern I have.

I used to be an insanely huge Pokemon card collector and I just got back into it a few days ago. My brother had bought a large number of cards from a small convenience store close to where we live and while going over my cards the other day I noticed alot of odd issues.

I'm fairly certain that these holos are fake and it saddens me deeply but I just want to be 100% sure about it. I went on the internet last night for hours trying to find out all the ways to spot fake pokemon cards but I can't say that I can get everything right just yet. I'm uploading pictures of the cards I have issues with.

The Deoxys has pokeballs in the background instead of the small bubbles and has EX Emerald pasted on the card, also the name Deoxys is Holo as well as is the star at the bottom right corner.

Now this card I pretty much know has to be fake, after reading so much on it I found out there has to be the bubbles in the background and not the pokeballs. Also the Name isn't holo (please correct me if I'm wrong about that). Also the biggest hint was that all the Deoxys I went to reference online, none had the holo name stamp, star stamp or the EX Emerald stamp on the picture.

(I also have a Ninjask from EX Deoxys, and Meganium from Unseen forces with the pokeball background and the set stamp on the picture. If you want to see them I can upload them after.)

Alright I'm comfortable with that being fake if it is, but here is where I get insanely confused.

I went to Walmart to buy cards because I would assume they are a more trustable source. I bought a set of 3 booster packs plus 1 holo card (Manaphy), with 2 Platinum Rising Rivals packs and 1 Ex Crystal Guardians Pack inside.

Now inside the Crystal guardians pack I found a Seedot. But It wasn't a normal reverse hollow Seedot with the card being the reverse hollow, the picture background was reverse hollow.

The Crystal Guardian stamp is on the card firstly. Also the Card isn't reverse hollow, the picture background is! The other 2 packs seemed relatively real. The 2 cards I got in them (Raquaza lvl X, and Charizard lvl X, respectively) were inspected by me and seemed to be real. But it still worries me.

I mean if the cards I bought from Walmart are also fake because that Seedot has irregularities on the card following the rules to spot a fake card then I am at a total loss. I don't know where to buy trustworthy real cards and not be feeling empty inside after finding out that my money was wasted on real cards.

Although this whole issue can be resolved if I find out that the cards are real but rare but I somehow really doubt that this is the issue. The fake cards have become so well disguised that I was just left in shock.

Can anyone help me on the issue please? I really want to get back into card collecting and I can learn from my mistakes and find out how to spot the differences better.

Oh yea another question I have. Okay looking at the back of the card, If it is more blueish than what does it mean? also if its purple what does it mean? I have read that more of a purple hue is real but do cards wear out a bit? and the colour left would be more blue than purple? Because I'm really worried now about alot of the older cards I have.

Thank you for anyone who can help! I'm sorry if I broke any rules hehe, I read the guidelines post but not sure if I missed some.

I know its a lot to read but hopefully I can make some good of this with your help!

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2013
    If it has the name on it, it is a reverse. (the reverses from the ex sets are like that)
    tl;dr, they're real.

Vyro

Master Douchelord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2014
    I have them too. They're real.

not like my "Dry Bowser" card I got from a guy in school *Shudder*

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2011
    Hmmm...so my Deoxys is a reverse holo?

Thats really confusing lol, cause i thought reverse holos are when the card is holo not the background picture in the box X__X

So then is this more rare then a regular deoxys that I would find on Ebay?

Years
    Hmmm...so my Deoxys is a reverse holo?

Thats really confusing lol, cause i thought reverse holos are when the card is holo not the background picture in the box X__X

So then is this more rare then a regular deoxys that I would find on Ebay?

Kinda... but that doesn't make it worth more.

It's also more of a special holo than a reverse holo. I do seem to remember pulling actual reverse holos from some of the sets that had these.

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2011
    Wow what a relief lol.

Thank you everyone for all your help! : D

*goes back to collecting*

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2013
    The reverse you know is DPPt sets.
    This is from the EX sets. In the EX ones, it was the bg.

Back