• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Solo Run Challenge V2

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Jirachi Update:
    Jasmine
    I decided to forego Fly in favor of Surfing back to Olivine, taking out the rest of the trainers that I had missed on the way in. Luckily, I made it to Jasmine before Jirachi had hit too high of a level, and so the Gym gave me little trouble without disobedience getting in my way. Steelix surprised me though, it took two Psychics to KO it. After getting my Badge, I Flew back to Ecruteak, headed east to Mahogany.

On the way there, I ran into Suicune and Eusine again, but no battles happened this time. I beat a few easy trainers, bought the RageCandyBar, and went up to the Lake of Rage to investigate some strange rumors. There, I battled the Red Gyarados, and when a Psychic from Jirachi left it at red health, I shrugged and caught it in a single Great Ball. I promptly taught it Surf and Strength and deposited Goldeen and Sudowoodo, using the Red Gyarados as a much better HM Slave. Lance then returned to Mahogany and busted open the shop owner's secret passageway leading me to Team Rocket's hideout. I decided to forego deactivating the statues in favor of the extra cash and experience, and headed back to the surface once to replenish PP. The biggest challenge in the hideout was PP conservation, but thanks to Lance and a Double-Edge/Wish combo, I managed to avoid returning to the surface any more times. Ariana(?) was hilariously easy, especially with Lance destroying the random grunt easily. When the Electrode were down, I healed and prepared for Pryce's Gym.

Pryce
    This Gym, thanks to Jirachi obeying me for once, was more challenging in terms of the puzzle than the actual battles. By the time I got to Pryce himself, I was extremely frustrated, and what better way to deal with frustration than taking it out on a Gym Leader? So a few Psychics later, Jirachi had earned me a new badge.

I was all set to head on to Blackthorn when Professor Elm called me, saying something about the radio tower. He sounded panicky, so I flew to Goldenrod to see what all the trouble was about. The first thing I noticed was a large number of Rocket Grunts patrolling the city...that can't be good! I healed Jirachi, went into the Underground to find a disguise, and infiltrated the Radio Tower. Pingas was there, and blew my disguise for me, so thanks for nothing, Pingas! (Although it was pretty fun going around terrorizing citizens...mwahahaha). He didn't challenge me, though, so I just had a few easy Grunts to deal with. Jirachi learned Cosmic Power while in the Tower, and I replaced Double-Edge for it...probably not the smartest move looking back, but oh well. I had to heal once before facing Petrel, whose Poison-type team died pathetically easily to my Psychics, and healed again before entering the Underground, passing a Kimono Girl on the way. The entire Rocket ordeal was an extreme test of PP conservation, but I managed to make it to the real Director without leaving to heal. One more healing session later, I was able to reach the observation deck and defeat Team Rocket once and for all! ...I hope...

Well, with that out of the way, nothing more is left but the eighth badge, so eastward I go! I decided to use the spare Repels I had been picking up in my travels to navigate the Ice Path, which made it easier to focus on the puzzles. The Strength puzzle was easy, but the ice puzzles were harder...luckily, I made it through and helped out a Kimono Girl in the process. They do seem to be cropping up everywhere lately. I also took the opportunity to teach Whirlpool and Waterfall to Gyarados, finishing up all of the HM's. Once in Blackthorn, I healed and prepared to face Clair.

Clair
    Draco Meteor was a lot of fun in this Gym. Every Trainer and the Gym Leader got the same treatment: Psychic on all but their last Pokemon, which was finished off with Draco Meteor (due to the Sp. Atk drop.) For once, Kingdra didn't give me any trouble, as one Draco Meteor easily knocked it out. When that was finished, Clair refused to give me the badge unless I entered the Dragon's Den...ah well, a Trainer's work is never done. So I healed and entered the Den, fought a few easy trainers, and made it to the Shrine. The test was easy and I took the opportunity to grab the Dragon Fang and the Extremespeed Dratini before leaving Blackthorn for the south.

Professor Elm gave me another call, asking me to stop by. Since New Bark was on the way, I figured, why not? The route gave me some additional Trainer experience, and upon arriving, I grabbed the Master Ball and flew to Ecruteak. Time to find out what the Kimono Girls want...Aha! It seems they're after Ho-Oh, and want me to battle them. Most of them were easy, except...UMBREON. The only thing I had that affected it was Draco Meteor, and it managed to survive three of those, hitting me with Confuse Ray and a few Faint Attacks before dying. Man, I hate Dark-types. Once the others had been defeated as well, I healed and ascended the Tin Tower after stocking up on Ultra Balls and Max Repels. It took me a few tries, but thanks to Draco Meteor's stat drop and a Wish/Cosmic Power stall combo, I managed to snag the phoenix in an Ultra Ball, because who doesn't like to Fly in style? I deposited Spearow after returning to the city, and taught Ho-Oh Fly just because...well, it's HO-OH. With that out of the way, it was time to take on the big challenge...VICTORY ROAD!

This marks the first time I have ever intentionally shut off the Running Shoes in HG/SS. After passing through Tohjo Falls and fighting the first few Trainers, I realized that I wouldn't have enough PP to get me to the rest stop, and I really, REALLY didn't want to go all the way back home. So I decided to stealth my way around the remaining Trainers and through the tall grass, only running into one wild Ponyta which I ran from, before making it to the rest house, healing, and returning to take on the trainers I had passed. A few rest house stops later, I prepared to take on Victory Road...and was all out of Repels, so this should get interesting. The Road was straightforward, although by the time I got to the exit I had only four Psychics and a Draco Meteor left. Who should turn up but Pingas? First out was, annoyingly enough, a Sneasel, and I had no choice but to Meteor it to death, taking the drop in Sp. Atk. This made it much harder to KO his next few Pokemon, and I got stuck on Magneton for a while, paralyzed constantly, before defeating it with my last Psychic. Golbat was annoying, as I was desperately trying to use up my Cosmics and Wishes to gain Struggle, but its Confuse Ray just wasted turns for me. Eventually, I ran myself out of PP and Struggled Golbat to death. I had just enough health to defeat his last Pokemon as well (don't remember what it was though) and barely make it out of Victory Road with low health and no PP. Next up...the Elite Four.

Will
    Will was easily my second-toughest challenge here, considering that all of his Pokemon resisted Psychic. Jynx was the only one that gave me real trouble, though, after getting a Freeze off and forcing me to use a Hyper Potion. During this battle, Jirachi hit Level 70 and learned Doom Desire, which would help in later battles immensely.
    Koga
    Psychic. Enough said. I took the opportunity to try out Doom Desire on Forretress, where it worked swimmingly. I used an Ether to replenish PP right after the battle.
    Bruno
    Psychic killed everything here.
    Karen
    I HATE DARK-TYPE POKEMON! Sorry, just had to say it. I used the same combo of Doom Desire, Wish, Cosmic Power, repeat to defeat Umbreon in two cycles and Murkrow in one, and of course the Poison-types died easily. The only annoying thing was Houndoom, whose Flamethrower actually managed to KO Jirachi before Wish could take effect. Luckily, I just used one of my death fodder HM Slaves to die while I used a Max Revive. Jirachi ended up with red health, but managed to kill Houndoom and net me the victory, allowing me to feed it a much-needed Hyper Potion and Elixir before facing the Champion.
    Lance
    If anything, Dragonites are more annoying than Dark-types, especially those with Fire Blast and/or T-wave. I swear, I used more items in this battle than I have in the entire run-through. Luckily, Psychic worked on the Dragons, and despite a few Full Restores from Lance, I finally managed the win. Time to roll the credits! Next stop, Kanto!

JIRACHI'S STATS, POST-E4:
    Nature: Lax
    Ability: Serene Grace

Level: 72
    HP: 255
    ATK: 176
    DEF: 196
    SP. ATK: 177
    SP. DEF: 152
    SPD: 181
    Moves: Wish, Psychic, Cosmic Power, Doom Desire

:t254: Sceptile0111 :t254:

Ian Watkins

^Is a total tart. X3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2014
    Okay, I completed this challenge. My Butterfree is level 80, with the moves Bug Buzz, Psychic, Shadow Ball an Sleep Piwder.

I am now doin this with Staraptor. (and I promise I'll update more :p)

Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2020
    Guess this'll be my last update:

Clair/Lance was difficult. Then again, when is a basic Fire-type going up against a evolved Water-type easy? Anyways, the battle took many tries. The same strategy I use against all tough trainers of Double Team/BrightPowder won out, although Kyle helped take out some of the opponents. Ice Fang knocked Clair's team down while I built up a defense against Lance. For the first time ever, I used X items...

Next came the E4 redux. I used the same strategy as above to take three of them out, with Bruno taking a Choice Specs beating and Koga being easy enough that I could use Amulet Coin. Lance was a toughie, with me using more X items to increase my Defenses. Even then, a few lucky critical hits and one Perish Song made me reset over and over. He ended with Charizard, which seems to be a theme in this game.

Climbed up Mt. Silver once, collecting items, catching Moltres, and trying out Red. Pikachu knocked Cyndaquil out with one Volt Tackle. Therefore, I decided to fly back down to National Park, where I competed in several Bug Catching Contests and Pokeathlon events (opened up the final room and increased various scores). Also picked up several Apricorns and Apricorn Pokeballs.

Finally, I decided it was time for the final battle. I flew back to Mt. Silver and trekked up the mountain again. This time, Red was my goal, and I wasn't going to leave without defeating him. Again, the BrightPowder/Double Team/X-defenses strategy pulled it off, albeit after many tries.

First up, Pikachu. The two were about the same speed, so I depended on luck to get through. I started with an X-Defend to soften Volt Tackle, due to the fact that it was Pika's only move that could OHKO Cynda. Hail occasionally caused Thunderbolt to do the same, but not often enough to matter. After that, I kept healing Cynda until BrightPowder caused Pika to miss, when I used an X-Sp.Def. Once that was in place, I got in some Double Teams and more X-items, which pretty much took me through Pika's Full Restore and him Volt Tackling himself to death.

Blastoise came out next, but by then I had set up enough defenses to guard against his attacks well enough. This was more of an annoyance battle, since Flamethrower/Eruption could only do so much damage. There were a couple of battles where he got lucky shots in, but compared to the number of times I reset, they were few and far between.

The two times I came across Lapras were like my battle with Pryce's Dewgong, except I remembered that it was part Ice. A few Flamethrowers together with healing and my defenses took care of him.

Snorlax was only a threat because of the Full Restore used on him. The first time I saw him he got in a critical hit, causing me to restart. The second time, he didn't so it was only a matter of healing and Flamethrowers.

Venusaur was a Pokemon I only saw once. He shot a Sludge Bomb that poisoned Cynda, but was quickly taken care of with a Full Restore. Two Flamethrowers took him out quite nicely.

My last encounter for this challenge was Red's Charizard (see what I mean about a theme?). The whole time I fought him, I was hoping for no critical hits, which thankfully happened so I could win. Flamethrower again could only do so much, and with Hail taking a little extra off each turn, the battle turned into damage to red zone, Full Restore, damage to red zone, Full Restore, battle to the finish. The worst part of beating him was that I couldn't do it myself because he decided to have a working Flare Blitz knock off the last bit of his points. Oh well. At least I beat him. Cyndaquil gained his last level of the challenge here, level 96.

And so ends Bryan and Cyndaquil's journey to become the best in Johto and Kanto, having defeated all 16 gyms, prematurely ended Team Rocket's rebirth, called on the legendary Ho-oh, beat the E4 twice, and bested the lone-wolf true champion, Red.

Final stats:
    Time : 73:18
    Pokédex: 123
    Pokemon:
    Cyndaquil Lvl. 96 w/ BrightPowder (Entire battle with Red took place at Lvl. 95)
    HP /Atk/Def/Sp. Atk/Sp. Def/Speed
    226/134/130/151/114/190
    Swift/Flamethrower/Double Team/Eruption

Pidgeotto: Fly
    Furret: Surf/Whirlpool
    Sandshrew: Rock Smash/Strength/Cut/Rock Climb
    Dratini: Waterfall

Real-life Length of Challenge: May 2, 2010 to August 1, 2010

Maraala

a fiery passion
    Years
    Started a New Game-Named my character Sammy-Named rival Mr.Meanie-Chose starter at random and got Totadile-Hacked for Glaceon-Visited Mr.Pokemon-Gott the 'Dex from Oak-Ran into Mr.Meanie and he got beat-Traverse to Violet City-Sprout Tower was a breeze-Falkner was a breeze(no pun intended)-Got through Union Cave-Thwarted Team Rocket from using Slowpoke Tail for finanicial gain

Glaceon-Level 18
    Tackle
    Icy Wind
    Helping Hand
    Sand-Attack

Years
    Jirachi Update:
    It was time for Jirachi and I to get our sea legs and board the S.S. Aqua. Luckily, someone had been kind enough to reserve us a room with a bed to heal in, because my PP conservation was going to be once again tested here. I battled the random trainers in the cabins before going downstairs; Doom Desire was required to kill the x4 Psy-resistant Bronzong, but other than that, no problems at all. Battled a lazy sailor and found an annoying little girl, who apparently has the ability to teleport me back to her father...eh, whatever. I finally disembarked in Vermilion City, where after a quick Center stop, I immediately went to the closest Gym, Lt. Surge's Electric Gym!

Lt. Surge
    Well, aside from a double battle with two gym trainers in which my random Eevee gained about twenty levels and evolved into Espeon, nothing else of note happened. The puzzle was extremely annoying, just like in EVERY. SINGLE. GENERATION. EVER. Surge himself wasn't so bad, I got paralyzed but even that didn't stop me for long, as a few Psychics made short work of his Electric-types.

Surge told me upon his defeat that the next gym was in Saffron City, to the north. So, naturally, I healed and headed straight there. Before the Gym, I explored the city a little, and got a free TM, found a very weird girl who apparently enjoys crossdressing as a boy, and saw an abandoned dojo with some interesting phrases scrawled on scrolls. Anyway, after those shenanigans, it was time to face Sabrina!

Sabrina
    Yet another VERY ANNOYING puzzle. I ended up fighting all of the trainers at least once, and had to leave to replenish PP before taking on the Leader herself. Alakazam died easily to a Doom Desire/stall combo, as did her next poke, but the (apparently female? O_o) Mr. Mime gave me a bit of trouble. Somehow my first Doom Desire missed, allowing it to set up a bunch of walls that let it survive another Doom Desire. It took three Psychics in addition to this to finally down it; luckily, with x4 resistance to Psychic, Jirachi didn't take much damage. With Sabrina defeated and the Marshbadge in hand, I now had a choice of three directions, two of which contained Gyms.

After much Delibird-ating, I decided on Celadon City, barely a Route away to the west. Once there, I did some more exploring. I encountered two familiar faces from Sinnoh, listened to a man's failure at telling a ghost story, broke the fourth wall by meeting the game programmers, and got hung up playing Voltorb Flip for an hour. Finally, I was ready for the Gym.

Erika
    Since it is apparently a law that almost every Grass-type in this gym must also be part Poison, Psychic just dominated here. The only thing that marginally gave me any trouble was a random trainer's Exeggutor due to its resistance and Leech Seed, but even that died with no trouble. I made it out of the Gym with my spoils and one PP remaining on Psychic! Next stop was the quick and easy Cycling Road, and after that, my next Gym challenge:

Janine
    Ah, I had forgotten just how many of Kanto's Gyms have extremely annoying puzzles. Other than that, Psychic just got another workout as it completely destroyed everything in this Gym. My next stop would be Lavender Town by way of the eastern route!

JIRACHI'S STATS:
    Nature: Lax
    Ability: Serene Grace
    Level: 81
    HP: 286
    ATK: 197
    DEF: 221
    SP. ATK: 199
    SP. DEF: 171
    SPD: 203
    Moves: Wish, Psychic, Cosmic Power, Doom Desire

:t254: Sceptile0111 :t254: