• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[SOLVED] [pokeemerald-expansion] How to add new event_objects past 255?

Days
    Hello, I am running into an issue when adding more event_objects to pokeemerald-expansion. I ran out of the extra space for unused defines, and the tutorial online to increase the space does not line up with the expansion versions of the files. If there is another tutorial or branch to follow as to what has changed when using the expansion to increase the number of overworld sprites, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2024
    I asked a similar question a while back, the great people here gave me this link, and it helped a ton so I will share it with you.
    This great link will help you out and will help with expansion of event objects.

This other link helped me out a lot too

Days
    I asked a similar question a while back, the great people here gave me this link, and it helped a ton so I will share it with you.
    This great link will help you out and will help with expansion of event objects.

This other link helped me out a lot too
    Thanks for the attempt, but I've already followed the tutorial for the first link and the second link when I try to pull it the overworld expansion, it just ends up not working and threatening to delete all of my changes in about a dozen files. I can't use the tutorial to expand the number of event objects allowed because the files are different looking in the expansion. So I either need help getting a way to manually increase the number of allowed event objects, or to figure out how to install the overworld expansion into the typical pokeemerald-expansion (I assume it's not already there because the comments in the file state that the max is 239 after all the setup/config stuff)

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2024
    Thanks for the attempt, but I've already followed the tutorial for the first link and the second link when I try to pull it the overworld expansion, it just ends up not working and threatening to delete all of my changes in about a dozen files. I can't use the tutorial to expand the number of event objects allowed because the files are different looking in the expansion. So I either need help getting a way to manually increase the number of allowed event objects, or to figure out how to install the overworld expansion into the typical pokeemerald-expansion (I assume it's not already there because the comments in the file state that the max is 239 after all the setup/config stuff)
    I see what you're saying, I had a similar problem, but they are already so many objevents you can replace instead of making new entries, personally I added mewtwo, oak, blue and kanto leaders by just replacing some of the decoration objevents. You can fit in like 20 objectevents just by replacing those decorations. Try that, if not, only those amazingly talented guys in here might help you out, Im barely in it, good luck

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
    when I try to pull it the overworld expansion, it just ends up not working and threatening to delete all of my changes in about a dozen files.
    I don't think Git does that? Regardless, you can't perform a git pull if you have uncommitted changes.
    Once you pack those uncommitted changes into a commit, git pull should be working just fine.
    I talk about this here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/threa...roject-with-the-pokeemerald-expansion.432321/

If your project has a clean Git history though, then you're out of luck when it comes to attempts at automatically merging feature branches.
    Your only option is to implement the code changes manually.
    GitHub has a Compare feature that lets you check said code changes, thankfully.

Days
    I see what you're saying, I had a similar problem, but they are already so many objevents you can replace instead of making new entries, personally I added mewtwo, oak, blue and kanto leaders by just replacing some of the decoration objevents. You can fit in like 20 objectevents just by replacing those decorations. Try that, if not, only those amazingly talented guys in here might help you out, Im barely in it, good luck
    Yeah... I kinda was adding a new sprite for every legend and mythical excluding genesect, not enough space

Days
    I don't think Git does that? Regardless, you can't perform a git pull if you have uncommitted changes.
    Once you pack those uncommitted changes into a commit, git pull should be working just fine.
    I talk about this here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/threa...roject-with-the-pokeemerald-expansion.432321/

If your project has a clean Git history though, then you're out of luck when it comes to attempts at automatically merging feature branches.
    Your only option is to implement the code changes manually.
    GitHub has a Compare feature that lets you check said code changes, thankfully.
    Thank you for the link to the compare feature, I have made all the changes in my files (unfortunately it doesn't seem I can put in my own version since it's not considered a branch, I didn't know that was a thing to do when I started back in August), anyways now it doesn't want to generate a palette based off of the png I put into the pics folder

<error message>
    tools/gbagfx/gbagfx graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/arceus.png graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/arceus.4bpp -mwidth 8 -mheight 8
    tools/gbagfx/gbagfx graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/arceus.png graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/arceus.gbapal
    tools/gbagfx/gbagfx graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/articuno.png graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/articuno.4bpp -mwidth 4 -mheight 4
    "graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/arceus.png" has an unsupported color type.
    tools/gbagfx/gbagfx graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/articuno.png graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/articuno.gbapal
    make: *** [spritesheet_rules.mk:532: graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/arceus.4bpp] Error 1
    make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
    "graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/articuno.png" has an unsupported color type.
    make: *** [spritesheet_rules.mk:478: graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/articuno.4bpp] Error 1
    The image "graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/articuno.png" does not contain a palette.
    The image "graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/arceus.png" does not contain a palette.
    make: *** [Makefile:321: graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/articuno.gbapal] Error 1
    make: *** [Makefile:321: graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/arceus.gbapal] Error 1
    <end error message>

I kinda got the unsupported color type, but I checked and the image shouldn't have more than 16 colors?
    (BTW yes I followed the tutorial, I triple checked)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2024
    Thank you for the link to the compare feature, I have made all the changes in my files (unfortunately it doesn't seem I can put in my own version since it's not considered a branch, I didn't know that was a thing to do when I started back in August), anyways now it doesn't want to generate a palette based off of the png I put into the pics folder

<error message>
    tools/gbagfx/gbagfx graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/arceus.png graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/arceus.4bpp -mwidth 8 -mheight 8
    tools/gbagfx/gbagfx graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/arceus.png graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/arceus.gbapal
    tools/gbagfx/gbagfx graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/articuno.png graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/articuno.4bpp -mwidth 4 -mheight 4
    tools/gbagfx/gbagfx graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/articuno.png graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/articuno.gbapal
    make: *** [spritesheet_rules.mk:532: graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/arceus.4bpp] Error 1
    "graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/articuno.png" has an unsupported color type.
    make: *** [spritesheet_rules.mk:478: graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/articuno.4bpp] Error 1
    The image "graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/articuno.png" does not contain a palette.
    The image "graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/arceus.png" does not contain a palette.
    make: *** [Makefile:321: graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/articuno.gbapal] Error 1
    make: *** [Makefile:321: graphics/object_events/pics/pokemon/arceus.gbapal] Error 1
    <end error message>

I kinda got the unsupported color type, but I checked and the image shouldn't have more than 16 colors?
    I had a problem similar (again) to palettes. I downloaded this program called CYOTEK color Palette Editor. And I created a palette, one that was needed for the obj event. I also used another program called GraphicsGale. About the unsupported? I mainly got those errors if I edited my png's with paint 3d. I have a hard time editing pixels and their colors. Oh I gotta tell you, NSE tool from back in the binary hacking days is something I still use if I want to edit the colors of the pixels of an image. Try that as well. good luck

Days
    I had a problem similar (again) to palettes. I downloaded this program called CYOTEK color Palette Editor. And I created a palette, one that was needed for the obj event. I also used another program called GraphicsGale. About the unsupported? I mainly got those errors if I edited my png's with paint 3d. I have a hard time editing pixels and their colors. Oh I gotta tell you, NSE tool from back in the binary hacking days is something I still use if I want to edit the colors of the pixels of an image. Try that as well. good luck
    See this is where my confusion is, because its supposed to generate a palette from the png without having to import one separately. Otherwise, yes I did use paint3d, but only to put in a background on some things (not articuno or arceus, they had backgrounds already) or to format the sprites how emerald wants them.

The weird part is I've already successfully inserted sprites for Uxie and Shaymin awhile ago without these issues while using the same method.

Also I have no idea what NSE is, I only binary hacked for a little bit and funnily enough, attempting to add Uxie as a overworld sprite is actually what led to me knowing that decomps exist, since most hacking tutorials don't mention them

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years

<error message>
    <end error message>

Unsupported color type refers to a sprite that isn't properly indexed, so effectively, your sprite has more than 16 colors or there's something else that is wrong about it.
    I suggest you open it with GraphicsGale. If you see more than 16 color palette slots on the palette window, your sprite has undoubtedly more than 16 colors.
    Ex:
    vs

Days
    Unsupported color type refers to a sprite that isn't properly indexed, so effectively, your sprite has more than 16 colors or there's something else that is wrong about it.
    I suggest you open it with GraphicsGale. If you see more than 16 color palette slots on the palette window, your sprite has undoubtedly more than 16 colors.
    Ex:
    vs
    I don't know, most of my sprites were ripped straight from hgss, and I thought those were also only supposed to have 16 colors, and that also doesn't explain why uxie and shaymin worked and these won't,
    regardless, is there a way to like fix the colors without manually going through all of them if they do have more than 16?

Days
    I don't know, most of my sprites were ripped straight from hgss, and I thought those were also only supposed to have 16 colors, and that also doesn't explain why uxie and shaymin worked and these won't
    Ex:
    vs
    Wait, I just realized the numbering on the images is weird
    I imagine azelf being labeled as ...x24 has something to do with bit depth, but I don't know how that's determined, and it is possible that all of these have more than 16 and I just lucked into uxie and shaymin being the only two with less than 16, but most of these don't look like they have more than 16, like this manaphy I could only count 10 or so even when zoomed in

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
    Wait, I just realized the numbering on the images is weird
    View attachment 154508
    I imagine azelf being labeled as ...x24 has something to do with bit depth, but I don't know how that's determined, and it is possible that all of these have more than 16 and I just lucked into uxie and shaymin being the only two with less than 16, but most of these don't look like they have more than 16, like this manaphy I could only count 10 or so even when zoomed in
    View attachment 154509
    That x24 probably refers to the bit depth indeed. Your sprites need to have a bit depth of 4, that's the reason why Uxie's sprite worked.
    In GraphicsGale, you can go to All Frames -> Color Depth, set the Color Format to "4bpp (16 Colors)", save and call it a day.

Sometimes that doesn't work out to well because the program doesn't actually update the sprite's file for w/e reason.
    When that happens, you can copy-paste the sheet in mspaint, save it as a new .png file, then open that new file with GG, perform the color reduction as explained above, and then it works.

Or you can use any other software suitable for the task, like Aseprite/LibreSprite or whatever else.

Days
    That x24 probably refers to the bit depth indeed. Your sprites need to have a bit depth of 4, that's the reason why Uxie's sprite worked.
    In GraphicsGale, you can go to All Frames -> Color Depth, set the Color Format to "4bpp (16 Colors)", save and call it a day.

Sometimes that doesn't work out to well because the program doesn't actually update the sprite's file for w/e reason.
    When that happens, you can copy-paste the sheet in mspaint, save it as a new .png file, then open that new file with GG, perform the color reduction as explained above, and then it works.

Or you can use any other software suitable for the task, like Aseprite/LibreSprite or whatever else.
    Thanks again, all of my sprites now work! I'm really surprised it worked currectly since some of the gen 5 ones had upwards of 25 colors

But it is weird that it labeled the hgss sprites as x24m since they all did indeed have less than 16 colors (I found the count colors button)

Back