• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Film TENET

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    TENET

Christopher Nolan delivers a new mind-boggling adventure where a strange concept sets the main stage and the characters pull off cool plan after cool plan in order to make you say "wow".

Much like Inception with its dreams within dreams before it, and even Interstellar to a degree with its black holes and relativity, Tenet is based on a fantastical idea of a mechanism that hurts your head if you try to understand it. The first scene that finally reveals how it all works makes you start looking at everything that will happen (and already has happened) differently. Having to watch his films twice or even thrice in order to fully appreciate them is certainly one of Nolan's big charms though. Remember The Prestige and Memento? 😄

I don't want to spoil anything here really, which is why I'm being so vague. I watched it yesterday in a cinema with only 3 other people in the whole salon (!) and I went in almost completely blind, only having seen one trailer and thinking the movie was a James Bond like spy drama with backwards-firing guns.

I'm still not sure what I really thought of it. It's not up there with Interstellar, Inception, The Dark Knight and The Prestige, imo. Those films were all rich with deep characters and motivations, stunning visuals and a soundtrack to die for (hello Zimmer~). Tenet isn't quite as visually amazing, nor did its soundtrack impress me beyond a dramatic heavy beat during a particularly crammed car chase scene... And most of its characters sadly fall flat; the one that saves it all and steals the show is - surprise! - the not so glittery ex-vampire. Pattinson is awesome in this, adding some much needed humor and sense of empathy to the otherwise honestly dissappointingly shallow entourage.

But why keep reading my dravel? It was a cool movie. I need to watch the ending act at least three more times to fully understand everything that happened, I think. My brain hurt a bit in the salon. But in a good way.

Off you go! And then return and post your thoughts here when you've seen it, please :) but if you are going to touch on the actual plot or the, well, very specific mechanism the movie is based around, please put your text within
    Spoiler:

Back