• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen The First "Meta" Pokémon Games

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
  • meta
    adjective
    (of a creative work) referring to itself or to the conventions of its genre; self-referential.

Has anyone else thought about how "meta" Generation VII is? Sun and Moon are the first games in the core series to truly shift Pokémon's status quo, for example in the Pokémon League and field moves, but it also seems these games, as a whole, were made with the mindset of reflecting on the Pokémon franchise and its conventions.

For example, Mimikyu was clearly designed as a commentary on Pikachu's popularity, not just in-universe, but also in real life. Team Skull also feels like a deconstruction of the villainous team formula, with Team Skull simply being a band of hooligans instead of a power-hungry terrorist group. Heck, I wonder if Alolan forms and Ryuki's makeshift Pokémon gym are really just more Generation I pandering, or if there's something more to them than meets the eye.

Perhaps there are other examples of Generation VII being "meta" in that sense. I'd like to know what other people think, or if I'm just being crazy and looking too much into things.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Self-referrencial media are nothing new, especially nowadays. The games have been referencing stuff ever since gen 2 came around. And I'm not sure if gen 7 really subverts certain tropes of the previous games. It seems more like they just really wanted to try out (and still trying out nowadays) something different.

Back