• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Legend of Zelda for Wii U

pkmin3033

The world looks very impressive, but I'm not seeing much of what makes Zelda exciting to me. I want to see some of the dungeons I'll be exploring; the new items I'll be getting; the villains I'll be facing, the soundtrack I'll probably be hearing in my sleep. The things that make Zelda...Zelda.

An open world means nothing to me, to be honest. It's nice they're putting the effort in and trying to deliver a different experience, but it doesn't scream "awesome!" to me. It's just...nice. But I'd be just as happy with a smaller, more linear world, as we've had in the past. It wasn't broken, so they didn't need to fix it. There's nothing to say it'll be better this way, either. I mean, four to five minutes to reach destinations? In five minutes in one of the old titles I could travel across half the map and be stuck into a dungeon by that point, actually playing the game, not waiting to play the game. Sailing in Wind Waker was horribly tedious (although in the HD Wii U version it improved significantly by making it much faster) and I don't want a repeat performance of that; I don't want to spend more time waiting to get to places than actually exploring said places. An open world isn't very impressive if you don't add much to do into it. I expect there will be a fast travel system. But you've got to get to the places first, and games always like to disable their fast travel systems to keep you on track with the story at some point...which is fine in its own way, but at the same time it shows you that the freedom you think you have is just an illusion. Granted, it could be a lot better - there could be surprises under almost every rock, as there has been in the past. But...I didn't see any. They didn't point anything like that out; they were too busy showing off the wide, open, but utterly empty world. That was the point of the trailer, one might argue. But that isn't what they should be focusing on, in my opinion. What's IN this world? I don't know what to think of the game when they don't show me anything!

I honestly don't care about how big or open the world is; that isn't what I play Zelda for, and it won't be what I buy this one for. The exploration factor can be just as exciting in smaller worlds - I've always preferred the 2D titles on handhelds to the 3D ones in fact. When you have a smaller world, you have to cram more into it, which means there is more to do and more to explore. In larger worlds like that, things tend to be spaced out, meaning you spend a lot of time travelling across expanses of nothing. It looks more impressive, but then...FFXIII looked impressive as well, and that turned out to be a complete disaster. I think I'll be withholding my judgement on this until I see some proper gameplay. What I see doesn't inspire confidence in me, but let's face it, that didn't show much at all.

The question I want answered is: how much more is there to see? I'll make my judgement based on that. When all I see is trees, fields and rocks, with the odd enemy here and there...well, it doesn't inspire confidence in me, and I don't know what to think. The optimist in me says it's too early to say; that they're deliberately avoiding focusing on what there is to do. The pessimist in me thinks they're going to try and use the visuals to justify the lack of things to do, as a lot of sandbox games do, and that the reason they focused on how big the world is is because that's the only thing about it that is worth mentioning. The truth is probably somewhere in between; maybe some areas will be like Hyrule Field from OOT and be empty and boring, and other areas will be so packed with stuff you can barely blink before being assaulted by enemies, or finding a new cave, or whatever. Nintendo have never really let me down to the point that I never want to play another game (outside of Metroid: Other M, anyway) but...well, it's hard to know what to think when they do stuff like this. This is a very...Square Enix thing to do. It's not Nintendo; Nintendo are synonymous with excellent and exciting gameplay, not dazzling visuals. Why can't they have both, you ask? Well, maybe they will with this game. But I won't be holding my breath. Let's see some actual gameplay first.

I suppose its personal preference - my sense of wonder comes from unravelling the mysteries of the game, not gawping at the visuals. What they showed there WAS impressive, especially the views...but it wasn't what makes Zelda exciting for me. I don't get anything from travelling across a large map other than a sense of frustration and boredom as I wait for the next thing to pop up at me. Maybe that makes me impatient. But I don't think I'll be the only person who feels like this. I know its premature to rush to conclusions, but I can only go by what I saw in the trailer, which left the most important bit out for me: the destination. I don't care about how I get there; I want to get there and explore! I want to PLAY. That trailer just didn't look like playing the game to me. That's all~

Gotta say, the most exciting thing about that video is that Star Fox for Wii U will be coming out before this does. xD

This post is far too long for a trailer that shows practically nothing. But it does concern me, as I've been enjoying the newer Zelda games less and less - I didn't have anywhere near as much fun on Skyward Sword as I did Twilight Princess, and none of the 3D titles have been as fun as the 2D ones for me. I'm just worried that Nintendo are going to get so focused on trying to make Zelda different that they'll neglect what makes it special. On the handheld front I have no worries, as A Link Between Worlds was amazing. But on the console front, I've yet to see anything to quieten my concerns. Yet being the key word. I'm still waiting for a proper gameplay trailer.

Last edited:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Legend of Zelda has GPS, Link became a ninja, and I wish I had a wii u. -mouth waters-

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    I have about the biggest gamng boner anyone could possibly get. I have held out on open world games for the longest time, suffering ftom fatigue of never truly completing em. But for Zelda? There is not a chance in hell I won't dedicate as much time as humanly possible to see it all. I mean my god. We saw from the zoomed out map only a small portion of an already humongous world. What I mean is,its obvious you drag it around to see other parts, otherwise it would scale to fit the entire screen, not have an assymetrical screen. This is huge for the dungeon portion of the game, as a world which is in the ballpark of just cause 2(I really think Aounumas was serious when he said that) means that the usual fare of 12 or so dungepns is being thrown out. That or the main dozen are gonna be ****ing massive, like that tower we saw, and require 5-6 playthroughs. Throw in dozens of smaller ones, and we might be loking at the LoZ that never ends. If the series can go on after this, then I give mad credit to Nintendo.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • The Legend of Zelda for Wii U

Aaaaaaaaaaah

Lovin' this overworld. It's like Zelda Assassin's Creed. The art style looks nice. And yeah..

We haven't seen that much. Just a tease. Heck, what we saw was off-screen, so its probably not entirely presentable yet. But it looks promising.

I hope it will still have Motion Plus controls and not just the game pad.

I that massive world is dungeon-esque like Skyward Sword was, this is going to be a long game :D

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2014
    That is insane. I need to be scheduling a week of vacation appropriately when this game is released. I want to go play Skyrim now.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
  • Holy ****. If this is anything like Link Between Worlds, then it will still have a pretty good story. So if they combine that with exploration as large as this, I think I might have to mark the map with hints, like "1st Dungeon Here" just like people did with the first Zelda before the prowress of the internet. It's a tease and I can't wait to sell all of my belongings so I can get a copy. XD

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • The world is looking a bit empty, but I'll attribute that to being an early build. Aside from that, THIS LOOKS GORGEOUS. THAT SUNSET. THAT EPONA. More interested on how the dungeons will be portrayed though.

I have a inkling this game is going to have more of a focus with the Bow from what I've been seeing, especially with that dismount slow motion arrow firing. Swordplay on Epona looks lacking to say the least, it seems to be missing some kind of impact or oomph. But that might be because Link was just swinging the sword in the air.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    I was a fan of the series since 97, only 4 years old, and yet that comparison does everything for me. I had a cousin with an NES and the boxarts for his games, and that image was one of the first that got ingrained into my mind of what Hyrule would look like if it were real. And now we have it. It took god knows how long, but Hyrule is properly represented. If you also want to have your mind blown, you'll realize that it it looks like the games OW as well, with death mountain in the top right, and the spectacle lake exactly where it should be:
    The Legend of Zelda for Wii U

Forests too.

Yukari

I have never been so upset about non owning a Wii u since Xenoblade Chronicles X was announced.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I have never been so upset about non owning a Wii u since Xenoblade Chronicles X was announced.
    Plenty of time to fix that. ;D

Sure looks promising. Quite the 'woah' moment when they zoomed out on that map... multiple times. And that's just the one area, haha. Hopefully they won't make it too big - as in, incorporate some of those LoZ quick travel mechanics and keep the stuff in the world interesting so it's not just riding in an empty field. But they probably will do fine with it.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • With such a Skyrim-ish open world, do you think this game will spawn any myths and urban legends like Rockstar's snadbox games to advantage of its replay value? The trailers mentions eating apples, so is food going to be another new source to replenish Link's health or his stamina mechanic from Skyward Sword?

Back