• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Trade with held item evolutions

Years
  • GSC introduced a few new evolutions for Kanto Pokémon which could only be evolved by trading with a specific held item. The evolutions introduced requiring this evolution method were Steelix, Porygon2, Politoed, Slowking, Kingdra, and Scizor.

Do you like these Pokémon, and did you ever use them on your team in GSC? Did you ever have anyone to trade with to get them?

Years
    • Seen today
    I like the Pokémon themselves, even though I consider trade + held item the worst evo method in the entire franchise.

I couldn't get any of them in Gen 2 actually. Had Scizor and Porygon2, but that was in much later gens. Had Galarian Slowking on a team once too, but that's different since it doesn't require trading unlike its Johto counterpart.

Years
  • I never had any trade evolutions that required held items prior to Sword/Shield.

Nobody reliable to trade with pretty much killed any hope of getting them for me =P

Years
  • I don't mind them and actually quite like some of them like Scizor, Porygon line, Kingdra or Slurpuff.

I don't think I've ever used one outside of a challenge, because I had no one to trade with in earlier gens. And there weren't that many of them in later gens.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I did not end up using those particular Gen II trade evolutions on my GSC teams. I only obtained them to complete my Pokedex in Crystal. My twin brother and I would always get the opposite versions so we had a method of trading. He stopped playing after the Diamond/Pearl era, though.

In more recent games, I have used some of them. My 3 favorites are Steelix, Scizor, and Kingdra. I hatched a shiny Onix in Platinum (RNG abuse) and caught a shiny Horsea in Y (chain method). I am not too fond of shiny Scizor's colors, but I hatched a decent one to use for battles.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Likes all of the held item trade evolutions in Generation 2.

Had a sibling to trade with. Remembers owning a Politoed in Crystal. Might have used it during the main story.

soulzzii

We don't wanna watch the news, we just read statem
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2023
    As much as i like some of the Pokemon mentioned there, i never had a chance to use any of them (excluding rom hacks) and i do have to agree with the opinion that its the worst evolution method.
    is it because i had no friends to ever trade with? yes. but cmon, a alternate evolution method for us lonely folks wouldnt hurt lol

Years
  • Lucky people with siblings! I had friends who played but at the time we barely had/used the internet so many of us didn't know some of these Pokémon existed, like Porygon2. I remember seeing it for the first time on a flight since a kid next to me played and was shocked lol. :sweat: Otherwise my friends and I had no clue how to get the others. Later down the line I got a GameShark and just hacked all of them in. :')

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Lucky people with siblings! I had friends who played but at the time we barely had/used the internet so many of us didn't know some of these Pokémon existed, like Porygon2. I remember seeing it for the first time on a flight since a kid next to me played and was shocked lol. :sweat: Otherwise my friends and I had no clue how to get the others. Later down the line I got a GameShark and just hacked all of them in. :')

My siblings are older and played Pokémon when they were younger, but introduced me to it as they grew out of it. As a result, I didn't really have siblings to trade with, so I had to rely on friends back then and later on, complete strangers online. lol I made a promise to myself not to use Action Replay for collecting though, only for adding certain moves and locked abilities for the time period.

Back