• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen Troubles with Save Corruption on Ultra Sun

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2023
    Hello guys. I just made this account (partially to find a good place to ask about this) so sorry if this isn't where it should be posted. Regardless, there is an issue that has haunted me for years, and it cost me a good whole month's worth of my free time back a few years ago. As said in the title, my Ultra Sun cartridge has had a history of corrupting on me in the past. The first was early in the game, the second I was able to recover my save, but the third wiped out my post-game save data with %95 Alola Pokedex completion. Here are some other main points you should know:

1. No other Pokemon game on my 3ds has ever corrupted for me. X , Alpha Saphire, and even my Moon copy have never caused similar issues.
    2. There were some Pokemon on my account from Wonder Trade that were pretty obviously hacked. I doubt that they could have caused anything, but worth noting.
    3. The three corruptions all happened at different points. The first was mid-Wonder Trade, trading away a random Frillish. My memory of the second is fuzzy, but I think it was either near at Lana's trial or Po Town. The final corruption happened approaching a Pokemon in Ultra Space.
    4. Outside of this unfortunate repeated occurence there are no notable odditys within the game. As for hardware, my 3ds doesn't have the best cartridge reader, and sometimes will require putting in the game multiple times before reading it. Other Pokemon games never have corrupted from this though.

I really hope I can get some answers. I used to pour hours into Ultra Sun before the corruption, even catching a random shiny Ribombee and using it on my team (you will always be remembered, Pink Floyd). Thanks in advance.

virtualpet

The Anomaly's Mewtwo
    Years
  • If you have a hacked 3DS or the ability to hack one then I'd do that because you can back up your save files with checkpoint. I've heard of 3DS games having issues like memory corruption or not starting up, but I haven't heard of anything happening to copies of USUM yet (it seems to be happening to gen 6 games more).

It might be a good idea to try to trade it in if you want to keep it physical, but if you have a hacked 3DS then what you could do is dump your cartridge to play it digitally. I could pull up a guide on how to do this if you would like or alternatively you could always download a CIA of Ultra Sun and use checkpoint to keep your save between the digital and physical copy. If you also have checkpoint I know there is a way to hack in Pokemon and that might be a good idea if there are any Pokemon you'd like to bring back who were deleted.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • If I remember correctly, some early physical copies of US/UM did have problems with corruption like most 3DS Pokémon games. If you don't mind me asking, when did you get that cartridge? Did you buy it early, just after release, or did you get it later?

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2023
    Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure I got my cartridge close to release. In addition, all the crashes came after the game suddenly said the game couldn't be read, then when I booted up the game again the corruption message occured. I am pretty sure at this point the cartridge is the issue, not my hardware. If my theory happens to be true, is there any visual signs my copy might be faulty?

Back