• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

VBA Link: I am a noobcake. Please help.

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2014
    Ok, I'll be as descriptive as I can.

I use a Mac processing computer. I play pokemon games on it, just like everyone else. However, the people working at VBA haven't touched the Mac VBA in a while (or so it seems), so I'm left with a VBA that only does the bare necessities; Playing the Rom, and having game freezes, not to mention just a bit of cheat option. Now, I want to introduce my friend to the game, Pokemon Quartz. Luckily, he uses PC, so he could download VBA link. I use my iPod Nano for data transfers (etc. When the iPod appears on the desktop as a hardrive/floppy disk in iPod image/whatever it's called, I drag the files onto that, and disconnect the iPod, bring it to another computer, hook it up, and pull the original file off of the iPod and onto the other computer.) Here comes the questions.

1. Since I've been using my iPod on a Mac, will it mess up on his computer, and will I be able to pull my game off.

2. If I make a copy of the game, and rename it Pokemon QUartz, will that make a new save file, so it'll load from save file Quartz instead of save file Ruby? The reasoning for this is, what if the emulator doesn't know which one to load?

3. Which save file do I duplicate if I want to bring my save file over to his house? The one in battery saves, or the one in save states?

4. Since I'm playing on a mac, if I bring it to his house, will the save file not load up because it's a different form of emulator, or something really annoying like that?

Well, my predicted answers to all of the questions are, No, it'll be fine. It'll create another save file. The one in battery saves. And last but not least, I don't know. I think I need 2 emulators for the VBA link anyways, so maybe if I put my file in one, and his in another...it'll work? Thanks in advance for answering these questions. I can provide screenshots if you need them.

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
    Ok, I'll be as descriptive as I can.

I use a Mac processing computer. I play pokemon games on it, just like everyone else. However, the people working at VBA haven't touched the Mac VBA in a while (or so it seems), so I'm left with a VBA that only does the bare necessities; Playing the Rom, and having game freezes, not to mention just a bit of cheat option. Now, I want to introduce my friend to the game, Pokemon Quartz. Luckily, he uses PC, so he could download VBA link. I use my iPod Nano for data transfers (etc. When the iPod appears on the desktop as a hardrive/floppy disk in iPod image/whatever it's called, I drag the files onto that, and disconnect the iPod, bring it to another computer, hook it up, and pull the original file off of the iPod and onto the other computer.) Here comes the questions.

1. Since I've been using my iPod on a Mac, will it mess up on his computer, and will I be able to pull my game off.

2. If I make a copy of the game, and rename it Pokemon QUartz, will that make a new save file, so it'll load from save file Quartz instead of save file Ruby? The reasoning for this is, what if the emulator doesn't know which one to load?

3. Which save file do I duplicate if I want to bring my save file over to his house? The one in battery saves, or the one in save states?

4. Since I'm playing on a mac, if I bring it to his house, will the save file not load up because it's a different form of emulator, or something really annoying like that?

Well, my predicted answers to all of the questions are, No, it'll be fine. It'll create another save file. The one in battery saves. And last but not least, I don't know. I think I need 2 emulators for the VBA link anyways, so maybe if I put my file in one, and his in another...it'll work? Thanks in advance for answering these questions. I can provide screenshots if you need them.

1. That shouldn't be a problem, even WIndows PCs can handle iPods.

2. If the Emulator doesn't find a savefile with the exact name of the game, it will create a new one. SO renaming the game will create a new savegame.

3. Both would work. Battery save are the savegames which the games use, savestates are for use in Emulators.
    Just choose the one you like.

4. Savefile formats are always game specific, and should not differ. However, the Emulator creators might have modified the way the Emulators handle them in later version, so the could be an incompatibility when using version from newer Emulators.
    Just try it out.

Back