• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Week Six: But I love moebutt best friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    10 weeks of anime: week six
    But I love moebutt best friend characters
    (*´_ゝ´)......

Phew, sorry about how long it took to get this up. I really meant to do it last night, but I got sidetracked by lasagna and our NEW FIRE PIT and completely forgot >w>;... This thread will be open until next Monday!

This week's topic is about character cliches that you actually enjoy! Feel free to bring up tropes if you're versed in those.

Myself, I tend to enjoy me some deadpan snarkers. I usually like the best friend to the main character, or the comic relief character with a dry sense of humor. And example of the latter is Hiroomi Nase from Beyond the Boundary. While he's not useless in any way(probably the most badass characters in the show, actually), he always has a way of lightening up the mood.

Observe;
    Week Six: But I love moebutt best friends

Tell me about some character types that you find somewhat cliche, but you can't help but love!​

Last edited:

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
    I love tsunderes. A bold confession.
    I know it's a stupid cliche, which is overrated and overused, yet I enjoy when a good tsundere is made.

The other way around, the cliche can turned into a stupid and empty character when the only concept in her/him personality is about "I yell at you and then blush".

I got sidetracked by lasagna and our NEW FIRE PIT and completely forgot >w>;...

Aha! Our beloved Chikara-sama shows her true nature! Just a fire pit is enough to betray us ;___;

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    I love tsunderes. A bold confession.
    I know it's a stupid cliche, which is overrated and overused, yet I enjoy when a good tsundere is made.

Aha! Our beloved Chikara-sama shows her true nature! Just a fire pit is enough to betray us ;___;

I LOVE TSUNDERES TOO, but the cute ones, not the bitchy ones -3-

I thought you were gonna say "she loves italian food more than us". No, I love you all, I just... I'm dumb, I'm really dumb.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
    I'm the type to like overpowered characters I guess. I mean, as much as I dislike Kirito, I still really like him lol. Then there's also Tatstuya from Mahouka. Of course, without any asspulls like Nakama power. That cliche is so overused.

Also, badass otakus like Keima from TWGoK, Sora from NGNL, and Junichirou from the manga and the upcoming anime Denpa Kyoushi. Idk, it's probably because they try to achieve a winning situation without the use of brutal force, and whatever underhanded tactics they could come up with amazes me.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    I wanna say OP chars like Onii-sama, but there's no one as him so...
    OP characters with power equal to trigger of Onii-sama's right pistol.

And... imoutos. Imoutos are godly.
    I'm not sure if I can say lolis, since that's not really a cliche.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
    I would like to add I usually like the 'Evil Former Friend' trope. I know it's been used in shounen since the very beginning of time, but I really enjoy the process of a character turning 'evil'.

Naruto is a good example of this. Sasuke is a really stupid character from my point of view, but the relationship he has with Naruto is really powerful thanks to the clever use of this cliche.

Another good example of a shonen series is Soul Eater

Spoiler: Soul Eater Manga spoiler
    When Crona basically turns evil because of his/her mother.

I LOVE TSUNDERES TOO, but the cute ones, not the rattatay ones -3- .
    I love how the forum changes some 'bad words' into 'Rattata'. Well, I also don't like Rattata Tsunderes! LOL!

Neither I like italian food anyway.

Oh wait, Pizza is italian food isn't it. WHO COULD POSSIBLY HATE PIZZA.... Anyway, we can discuss that somewhere else I guess.

Then there's also Tatstuya from Mahouka.

I've been laughing of this pun for about 10 minutes. It doesn't seem I will stop anytime soon.

Candy

Years
    I would like to add I usually like the 'Evil Former Friend' trope. I know it's been used in shounen since the very beginning of time, but I really enjoy the process of a character turning 'evil'.

I've been laughing of this pun for about 10 minutes. It doesn't seem I will stop anytime soon.

"Evil Former Friend" has got to be one of my favorite cliches to toy around. I like to write original stories, and I kid you not they all have the same "Evil Former Friend" cliche written all over it.

And you should've been there when Mahouka was still airing, 'cause the topic and the DCC are littered with that pun.

Years
    I like the happy-go-lucky, eclectic best friend/ally that every main character seems to have. Then there's the perfect-than-you big brother too.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    I've got to say I do enjoy me some dere-dere default Tsunderes; Yanderes and Kuuderes in some cases. The tsun-tsun ones are cute too; but there's always that chance you end up hating their guts before you really get to see their cute side and that always damps any "D'aww" moments later on in the timeline.

But I digress; I really must say I have a much wider, deeper and far greater inclination to have a soft spot for basically any Genki Girl, so long as she's sufficiently innocent and cute. If you add in the flavor of her being a Cloud-coocoo-lander; and you've got yourself a rather potent enough moebomb to knock me out cold and give me the squees for hours. Fortunately no anime I've watched has really delivered both in doses enough to be that fatal...though there are some that have come really close.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
    Nobody mentioned moeblobs yet. Kind of amazed.

I need to make a confession.... I love ukes. Oh yes I do.

And my favorite is Hiro from Junjou Romantica.

*gets banned*

I like the happy-go-lucky, eclectic best friend/ally that every main character seems to have. Then there's the perfect-than-you big brother too.

I feel bad about this if we take into consideration your signature and avatar, lol

Candy

Years
    Hmm... I've pointed my case for guys, so what about girls?

One of the few cliches I really like from girls are either the Yandere or the Kuudere types. Yes, I'm sadistic, I know. I just really enjoy seeing Yanderes, and writing Yandere characters to some point. They're just really fun. Kuudere... it's more of a preference to the quiet types of people. Same applies to guys.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
    Myself, I tend to enjoy me some deadpan snarkers. I usually like the best friend to the main character, or the comic relief character with a dry sense of humor. And example of the latter is Hiroomi Nase from Beyond the Boundary. While he's not useless in any way(probably the most badass characters in the show, actually), he always has a way of lightening up the mood.

Observe;

Tell me about some character types that you find somewhat cliche, but you can't help but love![/INDENT]
    YAAAS Hiromi Nase gives me l i f e ~

Another MC's best friend that is just adorable: Hideyoshi from Tokyo Ghoul (spoilered for final episode gifs)
    Spoiler:

Another cliche I like are strong female characters. Homura, Mami amd Kyouko from PMMM, Erza Scarlet and Mirajane Strauss from Fairy Tail, Raquel Cassul from Scrapped Princess, Saber from Fate/Zero, Rin and Illyasviel from Fate/stay night, Annie Leonhardt from SnK, Touka and Rize from Tokyo Ghoul, Akatsuki from Log Horizon, Asuna and Zekken from SAO, etc

pkmin3033

Badass Normals. Any idiot with a superpower can do some incredible things; it takes a pretty special character to do incredible things when they're surrounded by extraordinary people.

As an example, in the Ghost in the Shell series, my favourite character has always been Togusa: he's the only one who hasn't been extensively cyberized for his job, he comes from a fairly standard background, is a family man, and by Solid State Society he's running the whole thing, or at least he's well on the way to doing it.

The Gundam series has sooooo many example of this, as well. I loved Zeta Gundam for Char, but I also loved it for Jerid and Yazan. As far as I'm concerned, Scirocco was a second rate villain who never really did anything: Jerid, whilst continually humiliated by Kamille, was nonetheless an impressive pilot in his own right, and Yazan kicked some serious backside.

Then you've got the likes of Ali Al-Saachez and Graham Acre in 00, who are bigger threats than the Innovades because they can go toe-to-toe with Gundams WITHOUT special powers. Lockon Stratos is a great example of this as well - Tieria is an Innovade, Setsuna is Gundam an Innovator, and (H)Allelujah is batshit crazy. Lockon (both Neil and Lyle) is just a damn good shot, yet he's an integral part of Celestial Being.

Also, dare I mention Joey Wheeler in Yu-Gi-Oh? He's practically the only duelist who doesn't have a connection to Egypt in some fashion who actually gets anywhere and wins with a certain degree of consistency. Sure, he's no match for the likes of Kaiba or Yugi, but he held his own against Yami Marik pretty damn well in the Battle City finals. Hell, he got to the Battle City finals! Everyone else in that tournament was either possessed by evil, Egyptian, or both! Well, asides Odion.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back