• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Theory] what’s the lore behind the 4 battle gimmicks?

Days
    • Seen Nov 18, 2023
    mega evolution, zenith moves, dynamaxing, and the terastal phenomenon

what do these 4 battle mechanics have in common lorewise, what are they originally based off?

there are a few theories that say these gimmicks are based off the 4 ethers of archeus, but i think thats only true for the 3rd legendaries of the last 4 regions (zygarde is life, necrozma is light, eternatus is chemical, and terapagos is reflective)

zygarde isn't even connected to mega evolution lorewise iirc, xerneas and yveltal in kalos and rayquaza in hoenn are
    then again lorewise complete form zygarde is said to be more powerful than the kalos box art legends, so maybe it is actually the creator of mega evolution? who knows?

there's also primal reversion, the bond phenomenon, ultra burst, eternamax, and who knows what special gimmick terapagos will get

i ask again, what's the full lore behind them? what are they based off? and how will the next gimmick look like? i would love to hear your thoughts

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen May 27, 2024
    Well it's a little hard to explain. Mega evolutions as I can recall are tied to anistar city's sundial crystals. I may be incorrect about geosenge towns rock formations may have to do with this or az's weapon. Z crystals are something entirely different as they're exclusive to alola. I'm not familiar with what exactly brought z power crystals to the alola region lore wise. In galar they're bought powers through wishing stars and if I'm not mistaken eternatus is deeply involved with this. In paldea it's tied to area zero, not sure what Pokemon is actually responsible, but theories go like azs weapon landed in paldea, but this is unconfirmed.

Some say the mythical Pokemon diancie is tied to mega evolutions, tera crystalization, and possibly z crystals, but I don't really agree with the z crystal situation...

This theory may be a little silly, but I think Pokemon will be able to change into paradox forms, even though they're presumably from billions years from the present in gen 10, if there is a gen 10 release. Maybe they shouldn't do this though.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen today
    This theory may be a little silly, but I think Pokemon will be able to change into paradox forms, even though they're presumably from billions years from the present in gen 10, if there is a gen 10 release.

I wish they could do this in future gens, but I'm afraid it won't be possible because -unlike Megas- Paradox Pokémon have different learn sets than their original counterparts, so for example Donphan can learn Seed Bomb and Gunk Shot but Great Tusk can't, and Great Tusk can learn Close Combat but Donphan can't. Players would either end up with Pokémon having otherwise 'illegal' movesets, or being forced to delete those moves after switching forms.

Back