• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What type of games are good for playing alone? Which are good for playing with other people?

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen today
    Well, what are your thoughts on this topic? I feel that MMOs are great for playing with other people like Star Trek Online. I feel that games like Mario 64 or Sonic Adventure 2 are great for playing alone for the story of Adventure 2 and the gameplay of Mario 64.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    The first that came to mind for multiplayer was Mario Party.

The first thing that came to mind for single player were text heavy games like Persona. If I have to sit there and listen to hours of dialogue, it helps to be fully concentrated. Although recently played through danganronpa with my older brother and enjoyed his little quips and comments, so I can see another side of this now.

Ironically, I said Mario Party for multiplayer. The DS Mario Party is a really good single player experience though.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • For singleplayer I suppose it's something I never thought too much about? I just play what interests me and it's been more about my personal tastes. Long RPGs like Xenoblade or Persona are great singleplayer experiences but my introduction to Persona was playing the whole thing sitting next to my bf and it wouldn't have been the same playing it alone.
    I guess my answer for a great singleplayer game would be a rhythm game? It's something you can keep coming back to and improve on and with some games having custom songs or beatmaps you can really personalize what songs you can play and sorta make your own music library, that's the reason I still have an interest in osu mania.

For multiplayer, I think accessibility is key, things like Mario Kart or Mario Party are easy to learn or teach people how to play so it's easier to play them more often or with more people. Stuff like Fortnite or Minecraft are easy because they're so popular, making them also accessible.

There are games that I'm personally engaged in, like I enjoy playing something like Monster Hunter Rise or Final Fantasy XIV or 100% Orange Juice with friends, but those are games that most of my friends aren't going to own. So it's more like I have a specific group chat with friends for if we ever want to play something like that.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Single Player: Most of them, personally, but moreso long or grindy games. Stands a low chance of being with someone else of the same tolerance level for that.

Multiplayer: Typically designed around it. Refers to games like Overcooked, Triforce Heroes (probably), and Ultimate Chicken Horse. Adds games with poor AI bots and creative games like Minecraft.

Leans towards some multiplayer games being better solo, such as MMORPGS, so take the above with a grain of salt.

Back