• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

your gender identity

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
it matters that we get referred to by our correct pronouns because to not do so is to deny us our identity
to deny us our identity is an act of violence that so often results in our murder or suicide
I know where you're getting at but I think that when people misgender or even erase me that 90% of the time its because they don't understand, and many people are respectful after I correct them.

Mind you my physical androgyny has put me in the awkward position of people telling me to stop "pretending" to be female even though that's my sex, and I just deal with it by correcting those people. If they're unwilling to budge or even erase my entire identity for a "pretending male" one then I'm not going to put up with them.

Again though imho a respectable portion of the population corrects themselves after I tell them to correct themselves.

Also Vinnie may be referring to nounself pronouns which I agree, they defeat the purpose of pronouns. They also erase other related identity problems because people write them off as "looking for attention" or "being crazy". Ultimately pronouns are tied firmly to the idea of gender, and claiming that you should be called " faeself" or "chirpself" not only defeats the entire purpose of pronouns with acute Special Snowflake Syndrome but also makes a complete mockery of those who genuinely feel uncomfortable with being called different pronouns than they were assigned. Those who already have struggles with getting called the proper pronoun will be filtered into the same group as these individuals.

I think he's also trying to address the idea of gender roles, which is something a lot of people are addressing in this thread. Personally, I feel like a cross between male and female traits but I never actually think about gender roles personally. I just do what I do really. They're a separate concept, one is internal while the other is an external pressure. The conflict can cause issues for people with gender dysphoria though.

Last edited:

PinkCatDragon

The 17 year old programer. Now byte off
Years
i'm interested in both your responses, given that they're p much the opposite of each other and allow me to use this thread for it's intended purpose: openness and discussion

how did you two come to your respective conclusions about your identities?
Well for me i still belive in the gender traits and most of what i do is regarded as female. also im transgender so i have decided to move towords being a female in life. i belive everyone has diffrent gender traits just most people lean to one side

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
You know what I don't understand? A lot of the time, people who identify more as the opposite gender, also be the ones who tend to not believe in gender binaries and roles, which is so incredibly confusing because if you identify as the opposite gender, you subscribe to their gender binaries and their gender roles.

Always wondered the same.

Gender labels confuse me. I am a genetic male, my sex is male. My gender is irrelevent. I'm just myself? I'll like what I want, behave how I want. The idea someone can be uncomfortable in their own body is alien to me.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
Has anyone ever seen the movie "Boys Don't Cry"? It's an adaption of a true story of a transgendered person fighting the norms of society thrown at him even though society basically thinks of him as an 'it'. It's a very good movie if anyone wants to check it out.

I also identify as my gender being male, however I did have a time in my life where I did question my gender/sexuality due to how my 'friends' perceived me. Little to say they aren't really my friends anymore.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 5, 2016
I am a male and I identify as male.

However, I did a test thing, I think it was a series of questions and choices. That said I was more androgynous than any particular identity, but I'm pretty sure that's just upbringing and I don't have any particular stereotype as to what a male or female should or shouldn't do.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
Male to Female over here. My family is aware and cool with it, and I got to present as female for the first time during Thanksgiving. No one else really knows though..

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Female, biologically and mentally. I don't think I've ever struggled with that part of my identity.

Nakala Pri

I'm a female! :D I'm proud of it and I wouldn't want it any other way. Being a female is incredibly tough, there are thousands of obstacles blocking your dreams, whether it's a career path, marriage, having babies or ruling the world. So being a female is sort of an adventure, and having children is the peak! :D

Sure, sometimes I want to be a man, because:

1. Less rape

2. Less sexism

3. Dreamy singing voice

4. To be the first entirely good man in the whole history of men >:)

So yeah, sometimes I'll identify myself as a male, online, just to put some spice in. But I'll always be a female, and I'm fine with that. No amount of lies, cross-dressing or sex changes can change that.

Years
All that I'm sure of is that in some way, I'm gender queer. I'm DFAB but I'm 100% unsure of my gender, I've considered the possibility that I'm a demigirl, agender or even male but nothing really feels like it fits so far.

Years
I know the whole equality thing is blowing up yeah but I can't help but feel that some people (especially around places like Tumblr) are vary anti-cisgender, anti-heterosexual, etc. You see where I'm going with that.
I don't mean to offend anyone by saying this, but I definitely think there is a percentage of people who are pretending so they seem cool. It's almost invariably the people who make you feel like crap for not being in their exclusive club, but then refuse to let you in because of how exclusive it is. I thought this whole identity movement was about accepting yourself for exactly who you are, and thereby granting a greater acceptance for who everyone else is. That's the vibe I get from people who are genuine in this sort of discussion.

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
I'm a female! :D I'm proud of it and I wouldn't want it any other way. Being a female is incredibly tough, there are thousands of obstacles blocking your dreams, whether it's a career path, marriage, having babies or ruling the world. So being a female is sort of an adventure, and having children is the peak! :D

Hey, I don't want to be that one ******* but a lot of that isn't true. Maybe it's different in Mississippi but the best advice I can tell you is not to listen to those ****s who tell you those things. If you're not basing those comments on personal experience I am telling you right now to punt those comments to the side and follow what YOU want to do. You'll occasionally get the one idiot who thinks you don't know any better but ultimately it's what YOU can do that counts. There are no physical barriers to entry for women to universities or most jobs, so as long as you are able to produce the work necessary, don't listen to those people.

I mean it, it's a form of controlling other people's lives to perpetuate false stereotypes. It embeds fear and hopelessness into people's minds, and I can tell just from your comment that it's already working on at least one person. Honestly, think about it - what kind of purpose do those thoughts serve other than to pull you away from achieving your dreams? You have a chance of achieving what you want to do if you try, but if you're told not to try, for any reason, then you can never achieve those dreams.

As a teen I was never exposed to that and my parents noticed I was good at the sciences so they helped me learn more and more about that, and now I work as a software developer at 21. And I see other people in their teens right now and they're afraid because of these stereotypes, but you know what? How can you even know until you try? How can you even know until you go in the water and see what it's like?

The software development industry in my opinion has been especially kind to me. Perhaps it's my approach that helps, but in all honesty - they have been extremely kind, accommodating, and helpful to all of my problems, and all the problems that other women face as well. I never had any problems with any man in the software industry - in fact, the ONLY problem I ever had was with a woman who erased my gender identity to perpetuate her own ideas on how women should be, and then used my autism to support it.

Also, on the rape thing... there's a reason for that - it's extremely hard for men to charge another person of rape unless it involved a penetrative object or another man. The laws are very one sided on rape. And that I do know.

Don't assume things are any easier because people just say its true because they could be hiding a lot of very unfortunate things in their own selfishness. And don't assume things are harder because someone told you so as well - take everything one by one and take your own experiences as evidence of your own hardship. People have very different lives. I can personally say that in my own personal experiences that my mental health and my neurology were far greater challenges to overcome than my sex ever was.

That's my only advice anyways.

Last edited:

Nakala Pri

Hey, I don't want to be that one ******* but a lot of that isn't true. Maybe it's different in Mississippi but the best advice I can tell you is not to listen to those ****s who tell you those things. If you're not basing those comments on personal experience I am telling you right now to punt those comments to the side and follow what YOU want to do. You'll occasionally get the one idiot who thinks you don't know any better but ultimately it's what YOU can do that counts. There are no physical barriers to entry for women to universities or most jobs, so as long as you are able to produce the work necessary, don't listen to those people.

I mean it, it's a form of controlling other people's lives to perpetuate false stereotypes. It embeds fear and hopelessness into people's minds, and I can tell just from your comment that it's already working on at least one person. Honestly, think about it - what kind of purpose do those thoughts serve other than to pull you away from achieving your dreams? You have a chance of achieving what you want to do if you try, but if you're told not to try, for any reason, then you can never achieve those dreams.

As a teen I was never exposed to that and my parents noticed I was good at the sciences so they helped me learn more and more about that, and now I work as a software developer at 21. And I see other people in their teens right now and they're afraid because of these stereotypes, but you know what? How can you even know until you try? How can you even know until you go in the water and see what it's like?

The software development industry in my opinion has been especially kind to me. Perhaps it's my approach that helps, but in all honesty - they have been extremely kind, accommodating, and helpful to all of my problems, and all the problems that other women face as well. I never had any problems with any man in the software industry - in fact, the ONLY problem I ever had was with a woman who erased my gender identity to perpetuate her own ideas on how women should be, and then used my autism to support it.

Also, on the rape thing... there's a reason for that - it's extremely hard for men to charge another person of rape unless it involved a penetrative object or another man. The laws are very one sided on rape. And that I do know.

Don't assume things are any easier because people just say its true because they could be hiding a lot of very unfortunate things in their own selfishness. And don't assume things are harder because someone told you so as well - take everything one by one and take your own experiences as evidence of your own hardship. People have very different lives. I can personally say that in my own personal experiences that my mental health and my neurology were far greater challenges to overcome than my sex ever was.

That's my only advice anyways.

So bold. < LMAO

Well, in my lifetime, I haven't exactly liked men, like, at all. Sure, the odd couple, but the majority is so huge the minority is just a speck. Daddy issues, maybe? Yeah, I guess so, since I didn't even know the man, since he decided that kids are a pain. And I was never abused, I just watched and listened to people's stories in the streets, in books, in documentaries and man, the stuff they went through is horrible. They were all abused women who were beautiful people. :(

Hey, I know what I can achieve, and that's anything. :D I'm a strong person and I can punch someone in the face like nobody's business. I was just referring to abuse in the work place from male colleagues, men telling you how to live your life and people going against you at every turn, just because you decided to have an illegitimate baby. And let's face it, Julia Gillard had a very hard time in politics, always getting lashed at for things she couldn't control.

I'm glad you had good opportunities and supportive parents. You're lucky. :D But I guess some just aren't. They can't chase their dreams without fighting for their rights at every turn. It's a journey, a process, really, that takes experience and will. So we're sort of every-day fighters.

That's why I like being a woman! :D

And believe me, no one is talking to me about it. xD I sort of listen in to grown up discussions. I'm a naive person, and I like stating my big opinions bluntly. That's who I am. >8D

I'm the Naruto of debaters. B)

(P.S I'm a feminist, sssshhh)

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I was born a cis male and still identify as a cis male today. I won't lie though, I've had times where I was contemplating being female cause I had long hair , was attracted to guys, had an interest in fashion and was very feminine. Then I realized I was gay and that is completely acceptable and also that gender roles don't mean a thing when it comes to what you personally identify as. And that a male can enjoy things that are normally feminine or intended for females.

Early

☆ My, how the Earth does move... ☆
Years
In real life, I physically identify with the gender I was born as and plan to keep it as such. On the internet, however, I'm a little more androgynous due to the fact that people I first meet almost always get my gender wrong the first time - which I don't mind anymore - and allowing others to refer to me as either one they interpret me as keeps things simple. I prefer being referred to as one gender or the other, at that; I don't particularly like being called "they/them" due to some past memoirs. But I'll refer to others as such if that's their preference, since I respect everyone's wishes as much as I can.

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
Well, in my lifetime, I haven't exactly liked men, like, at all. Sure, the odd couple, but the majority is so huge the minority is just a speck. Daddy issues, maybe? Yeah, I guess so, since I didn't even know the man, since he decided that kids are a pain. And I was never abused, I just watched and listened to people's stories in the streets, in books, in documentaries and man, the stuff they went through is horrible. They were all abused women who were beautiful people. :(

So you listened to people's stories, which could very well be false, emphasized, or isolated cases, to judge others whom you never may have met? That's bigoted thinking.

Honestly, you should play it careful, but never be just completely close minded to other individuals. And that goes for anyone, not just women. It's really toxic thinking to assume that because some person has had bad experiences that you should just avoid them. If you've had your own problems, then that explains it, but from the sounds of it you're basically saying that people had bad things happen to them so therefore it's better to assume they're all bad for your own safety and well being. This is actually really close minded thinking and can lead to you making decisions that may negatively impact your experience.

Ultimately, the problem with this approach is that there are so many men in the world that even 1000 truly evil men is only a drop in the bucket. With these statistics, assuming that the 164,000 female victims were not raped by women, were victims of gang rape or no serial rapists, that still assumes that 164000/150000000 = around .1% of men are rapists. To put that into perspective, Pokecommunity has 463,505 members. If we are to assume that half of them are male, that leaves us 283 rapists out of almost 250,000 individuals.

The danger of permitting this "well it happened so let's paint them all with the same brush" type of thinking is that it can be applies to any minority. According to these statistics, 2,640,067 black people were arrested for violent crimes out of a black population of 300,000,000 * .139 = 41,700,000; this leads to a crime to population percentage of 6%. Is this conclusive evidence to say that I should be wary of all black people?

Of course not! Most people would find such a conclusion very bigoted. So what I ask, is what makes your conclusion any different? Because there are stories and books written on it? There are stories and books written on how dangerous black people are as well. What makes it bigoted with black people, but not men? The real reason is because it is considered racist to claim a stereotype about all black people, but most people don't realize that the same kind of ism (in this case, sexism) is applicable in the former case.

Do you still believe that your fear and dare I say loathing of men is justified?

Hey, I know what I can achieve, and that's anything. :D I'm a strong person and I can punch someone in the face like nobody's business. I was just referring to abuse in the work place from male colleagues, men telling you how to live your life and people going against you at every turn, just because you decided to have an illegitimate baby. And let's face it, Julia Gillard had a very hard time in politics, always getting lashed at for things she couldn't control.

A single individual does not reflect a problem, nor lack thereof. Again, your words make it very clear that you are afraid to approach these issues because of these words that were said to you. First off, how do you not know before you even try? I don't know how old you are, but it seems that you may not have actually personally encountered the dynamics of the workplace yet.

Just because someone else faced problems doesn't mean you will. And frankly, claiming that problems that women do face are always attributed to hatred of women ends up shafting responsibility from other problems. I can easily complain that I don't get paid as much as my male counterparts (I actually don't) but that ignores the fact that I'm an apprentice, I've been working there for much shorter than the others, and I have no industry experience outside of this job. I can go and blame these things on the fact that I'm a woman, or I can say, "look, there are some other possibilities. I need to investigate them." Blaming things on oppression or hatred should be a final alternative, because by blaming things on these things, you take the power right out of your hands. The only thing you can do in that situation is build your case. There are times that I have had to do this (although in reference to autism, never gender), but I always considered it a last resort.

I'm glad you had good opportunities and supportive parents. You're lucky. :D But I guess some just aren't. They can't chase their dreams without fighting for their rights at every turn. It's a journey, a process, really, that takes experience and will. So we're sort of every-day fighters.

And why can't they chase their dreams?

Again, in most situations, the most glaring factor to not being able to chase your dreams is not misogynistic pressure but rather finances. Schools are willing to accept individuals who are able to achieve these financial and scholarly requirements. There are a plethora of scholarships that are offered to allow these people who may not have the financial abilities to pursue their dreams to give them that opportunity. Financial aid is offered to students who also do not have that opportunity. What about community colleges that allow students to start off their college careers with a much cheaper to obtain degree, which can open them up to internship possibilities, apprenticeships, meeting people in the industry, and possibly having that single moment that sparks your dream into a reality.

But if you tell yourself that you cannot accomplish any of that because you read in a book that men are out there to stomp on your dreams, then what do you accomplish?

Nothing.

So what exactly is standing in the way of people chasing their dreams? Is it perhaps that people claim to have a crystal ball on people's lives because of the sex they were born as, and they are told that they will not accomplish anything and that they should fear but fight against a male dominated society that is out to attack them?

Ultimately, if this is the problem, then why are you addressing the work place or colleges in the first place? Shouldn't your ultimate target be families that perpetuate the idea that women are somehow not capable? Or perhaps the people who sensationalize every last bad thing that ever happened to a woman ever?

I hate to say it to you hon, but we do not live in a misogynistic society. We live in a society where women are protected, which can unfortunately have some downfalls, but also comes with many privileges. And unfortunately, because of these privileges, the best decisions aren't always made.

For example, as I stated previously, women have the immense privilege to accuse others of rape in most circumstances, something that men do not have the ability to do unless penetrated. Furthermore, if a woman claims rape, she can destroy the life of a man, even if it's not true. Regardless of what you say about the prevalence of false rape allegations, this is immense power. In addition, men who come out as being raped or even simply sexually abused are told to pocket their feelings or even worse, that they should "just enjoy it".

Women are often perceived as innocent and beautiful by default, while men must earn their innocence, even as children in the most extreme cases.

Women are often given custody of children after a divorce moreso than men, regardless of her actual ability to be a suitable parent, unless explicitly obvious. This leads to cases of abuse, including my own mother, who would have not had anywhere near as damaging of a childhood if she had stayed with her father.

Women can successfully charge employers or others of misogynistic practices and win, even with sparse evidence, depending on the case. Even if they don't win, they will have sufficient support from the media and many readers.

These are only some of the many privileges that women have in society. To claim otherwise is to ignore the power and the role that they have. To be honest, in many cases, I believe that women have more power than men. The reason why people open the door for women is not because they are weak, but because they are treasured.

That's why I like being a woman! :D

I'm glad you're happy to be a woman but being a woman doesn't automatically make you a fighter.

And believe me, no one is talking to me about it. xD I sort of listen in to grown up discussions. I'm a naive person, and I like stating my big opinions bluntly. That's who I am. >8D
For someone who claims to be an avid debater, I recommend that you do some unbiased research. I once held some of the same opinions that you did until exposed to much evidence to the contrary. A major part of debate is not simply "defeating your opponent" but rather learning about the perspectives of others - while in many cases these days, many arguments do not open oneself to enlightenment, there is a lot to be learned about the world outside books and talk shows. I implore you to investigate other alternatives and avoid echo chambers.

Took too long to read so I didn't bother. xD

welp

Last edited:

Nakala Pri

Took too long to read so I didn't bother. xD

I guess we disagree. I'm naive, you do sciency stuff. :^D I usually base my arguments upon a stilt, but it grows beautiful roses. 8) (I think I'm thinking of a dunghill but let's go with stilt)

I'm a violent person, always have been. :D When I hear about child abuse and stuff like that, I usually think silently (men are not advised to read this)
Spoiler:

That's who I am. :D I'm not ashamed of it, if anything, I'm proud of it.

I don't make great arguments and I do usually get bored of them and just moved on. I'm pretty impatient and I don't enjoy dwindling on things too long. :P

As for being afraid of abuse, I'm not. I'm just scared for the abuser, and I hope he doesn't hold great affection for is more private body parts. >:^D They might... oh, I don't know...

...get hacked off? >8D

Let's end with 'I'm bored, I like Fū, I despise Asuma and Minato is sexy'. :D

Poki

Banned
Years
I identify as a female, because I was born with a pussy.

Anyway, I've been curious: How does one exactly feel like the opposite gender? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's impossible to feel like something you weren't born as. Call yourselves whatever the **** you want (since there are a plethora of bs terms to choose from), but at the end of the day, you are still a female, a male, or a hermaphrodite, depending on what you have down there.

Back