• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen What was your team?

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
CwhWIuN.png

So what team did you construct to beat the trials and challenges of RBGY and GSC? Did you pick Pokemon because of their merit in battle or appearance? Or did you just use your favourites?

For me, my teams where:
GSC: Typhlosion|Meganium|Feraligatr|Pidgeot|Snorlax|n/a
RBGY: Pikachu|Hypno|Articuno|Zapdos|Moltres|Pidgeot

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I've chosen my Pokémon mostly due to appearance, to be honest.

Unfortunately, I can't precisely remember what my team was in my first run of Blue version, but one Pokémon I do remember having is Blastoise. It's got quite a tank-y (tough-looking appearance), making it a challenge to not go with it. Secondly, it was also the mascot; this had contributed in my decision majorly. I did not regret having Blastoise on my team at all, as it was quite powerful. Alongside, I also might have carried a Pikachu (or was it Raichu?).

In Silver, two Pokémon I do remember having are Typhlosion and Noctowl. Former, because, for some reason, I had felt the need to select fire-type starter, as I was told by friends that Cyndaquil was more powerful than Chikorita and Totodile (shouldn't have allowed them to affect my decision, but it was difficult). As for Noctowl, Hoothoot was pretty easy to encounter and capture, so why not? Haha.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
Years
When it comes to my team in Blue, I remember the theme of the nicknames was Star Wars Republic Commando Squads. As for the members, these are who I had:
Blastoise (nickname: Delta)
Dugtrio (nickname: Omega)
Snorlax (nickname: Ion)
Raichu (nickname: either Vevut or Veshok)
Hitmonlee (nickname: either Veshok or Vevut)
Magmar (nickname: Yayax)

As for my team in Silver, I don't remember who I used.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I have no idea what team I used to beat the champion in rby, but in gsc I used Dragonite, Typholsion, Vulpix, Kadabra, cannot remember if I had another others tbh.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
Ninetails, Scizor, Meganium, gengar, Seadra. Iforget who my last one was

Years
I don't remember what I had the first time I played either game. But last I went through Yellow, I had Pikachu, Gyarados, Kadabra and all three of the starters. It was for a challenge I did on another forum :P

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
When I beat Yellow, my team just really sucked because I had no clue what I was doing.

I believe it was:
Pikachu, Ivysaur, Cloyster, Charizard, Kangaskhan and Articuno.

I remember barely beating Gary with them, and mostly because of Charizard and Kangaskhan.

Minato Riku

My Japanese Sweetheart
Years
My teams in PKMN RED Version(My 1st PKMN game) was:

(3 Starters, Mew, Mewtwo, Gyarados)

As for my team in PKMN Crystal Version it was:

(Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Raikou, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Alakazam)

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 13, 2015
The first game I actually owned was Yellow version (got it the same day I got a GBC)... I don't exactly remember everything, but I remember some, including that I boxed Pikachu at like level 20.

Clefable was my ace at like level 65, Exeggutor was probably my best mon though. I also had a Hitmonchan, Dodrio, and Dewgong. No idea who my last member was. I'm thinking maybe Butterfree?

My first run of Silver I had Feraligatr, Noctowl, Ampharos, Ledian (yes, Ledian), Togetic, and Gyarados. Oh my god I just realized how bad that team is against electric. Kid me was not good at pokemans.

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
On red:
Charizard
Fearow
Butterfree
Nidoking
Richu
Omastar

Yellow (won't turn on now):
Pikachu
Charizard
Warturtle
Ivysaur or Venasaur (forgot what I had)
Nidoking
Primeape

Gold had lost its data so I don't remember what team was on there.

Crystal (before data was lost):
Feraligatr
Feraligatr (cloned and hm slave)
Suicune
Poliwhirl/quilava
Pidgeotto
Bayleaf

Note: quilava and bayleaf came after beating the league, and I have forgotten the last party member of my team, so I just left bayleaf there as is. I did switch out poliwhirl for my quilava though.

Years
With Red, my final team was:

Charizard
Dragonite
Articuno
Haunter
Lapras
Snorlax

They were all level 70 at least before I even attempted challenging the Elite Four. Of course, once I was champion, I went and caught Mewtwo and Snorlax left my team...

I had pretty much the same team in Crystal that I had in Gold.

Typhlosion
Umbreon
Xatu
Skarmory
Entei
some water type I can't for the life of me remember

I was especially proud of my Xatu. He was a custom I had bred using a female Xatu and a male Murkrow, specifically for the move Faint Attack. To this day, I still breed for that particular move on that particular Pokemon.

kyuubi93

What a bother
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 24, 2018
As always, my teams depended on my starter Pokemon. But, my favorite team to use that I would love to build again had to be:
Blastoise
Jolteon
Rhydon
Snorlax
Arcanine
Scyther

That team was always hard to build due to the fact that Scyther is hard as hell to catch, and in general a lot of these Pokemon didn't come until later in the game, so I had to have temporary Pokemon to help me get through the earlier part of the games, which were sometimes hard to part with. But, this team always destroyed the league, and other players. So I was happy with the results.

As for my favorite GSC team:
Typhlosion
Dragonite
Snorlax
Hypno
Gyarados
Gyarados

Yep, two Gyarados. Why? Because I want to ruin your day after Snorlax or Dragonite takes out your electric type.

Ycia

Metal Generation.♥
Years
Yellow Version:
Pikachu, Charizard, Venusaur, Blastoise, Snorlax, Raticate.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
First time through Red: Blastoise + random fillers (the first wild Pokemon I caught was Zubat, and I didn't do a whole lot of additional catching along the way)
Later team: Varied, but something like Blastoise, Charizard, Venusaur, Zapdos, Articuno, Mewtwo. I think I swapped Snorlax in for Articuno later on. Also used Pikachu sometimes.
My original Gold team: Totodile, Blastoise, Quagsire, Pikachu, Noctowl, filler spot for training. I trained a couple of things to go in the last slot later on (Typhlosion, Mewtwo, etc.). Not exactly balanced, but I loved it.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
My first run of Yellow was Pikachu, Pidgeot, Graveler, Hitmonlee, Flareon and Lapras. And sometimes Ninetails from a Vulpix in the Game Corner. :/
However I bought a real copy of Yellow from CD Tradepost and have a new team: Pikachu, Nidoqueen, Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur, and the last spot was originally for Kabutops but I now have Snorlax there. Kabutops(aka Rockio) is staying in our bag as a fossil. X3

My Silver team was(and IS in SS :D) Feraligatr, Noctowl, Crobat, Togetic, Haunter, and Umbreon.
I tried to play Blue but my team is Charmeleon, Clefairy, and Meowth.....

Years
My first ever game was crystal. I have a lot of memories from that game but one thing I don't remember is my team. I remember a select few though. My first game eventually deleted itself from battery failure. I had to start all over again. The pokemon I remember most is my Houndoom. I loved her more then anything. She was my weakest pokemon but I trainer her all the way up to lv 100 and could sweep the elite four and champion using her alone. She was amazing. Unfortonatly I lost her too because my game deleted itself again but I probabaly went through that elite four and defeated Red over 40 times with her on my team. I remember I had a golem and he was pretty awesome as well. Took that snorlax out like it was nothing.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
In Blue:
- Blastoise
- Venusaur
- Charizard
- Scyther
- Nidoking
- Venomoth

in Gold:
- Meganium
- Tyranitar
- Lugia
- Sneasel
- Ditto
- something I forgot

I've yet to encounter somebody else who uses a Ditto on his main team. {XD}

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
Playing games without knowing too much about what's good and what isn't is so much more fun than playing knowing and worrying about everything. That being said these are my teams from my first run throughs of the games. I don't remember what I had on Blue and I lost my copy of Yellow before I ever completed it and then I can't remember what I had in Crystal or Silver.

Red:
Venusaur
Kadabra - I always wanted an Alakazam but for the longest time I didn't know you had to trade for it
Dugtrio
Dodrio
Ditto
Omastar

Gold:
Magmar
Feraligatr
Ariados
Noctowl
Furret
Delibird

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2016
My team in Red right now (just starting out but this will be my final team) is :

Charizard,
Lapras
Dodrio
Raichu
Golbat
Victreebel

Quite diverse, never used Dodrio, Victreebel or Golbat before.

Back