• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Helix or Dome Fossil

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
What the title says. Did you guys choose the Helix fossil for Omanyte/Omastar or did you pick the Dome fossil for Kabuto/Kabutops?

Did you guy's make use of the fossils or did you PC the Pokemon?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I usually picked the Dome fossil because Kabutops was cool :3 I don't think I really knew even when I played Leaf Green that Kabutops was a water type just like Omastar, and I already had other water types on my team so I wanted the Rock pokémon Kabutops. Lol

I never used it actively on my team though. There were just so many other alternatives and the fossils rarely cut it for me in any game.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
Back at the time I didn't even know which fossil turned out to be who, lol. But I did choose the Helix fossil! Just sounded cooler to me at the time, so I picked it, hehe >:3 But it actually was useful. The only real downside was that it was at Level 5, so it took a hella long while to get it as high as my other team members ^^;

Sadly, I've never used Kabutops. Really really want to use it someday though! If only I knew how amazing Kabutops' design was back then... I guess I'll have to wait till next time, haha. Kabuto kinda freaks me out for no reason though, lol. I wouldn't of have liked it if I chose the Dome Fossil xD

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
I honestly didn't find much use for Kabutops at all, unless I kept the Rock Slide tutor handy. The combination of it's lower Sp. Attack and being one of the few non-grass types to learn Giga Drain without a TM was rather disappointing.

Omastar was a better surfer anyway, and if you didn't want to waste time getting a Brave nature there was always Ice Beam on everything.

ZenonPrototype

Prodigy of Ice
Years
I chose da helix fossil. Why? I dunno, it just happened. It turns out, Omastar became my lead player for the game, other than Blastoise....dat Omastar though...

CJoE

スマイルは無料で? ?? �� �� ��
Years
The first time i play it, i didn't know what this fossil for until my brother told me. I chose the helix fossil cause the sounds is kinda cool so i pick that one. Omastar is one of the strongest pokemon i got in Pokemon Firered (maybe). haha~

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
Helix powerful attack crazily kinda looked stupid to me and already had so many options for a grass type or electric i may as well go with the powerful awesome looking ancient bug right!

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
When I'd first played these games, I had no idea what Pokémon these fossils would wind up turning into, so I couldn't make any exact decision; I chose randomly by going eeny, meeny, miny, moe.

Though, my most favorite Pokémon of these fossils would likely have to be Kabuto. It evolves into Kabutops, which is one of my most favorite rock-types of all time. Although it can't perform too well in terms of competitive battling and whatnot due to its low amount of stats, sadly, it's still perfectly usable in-game. Have tried it plenty of times on my FireRed team, and it has never failed me.

Alongside above, it's also got a pretty unique look; none other Pokémon seem to actually share it. I suppose it could be argued that Scyther is a little similar, but not completely. Have always been wanting to see Kabutops gain an actual evolution in future, but I'm not sure what the chances are of it happening. Though, if it doesn't wind up getting any evolution, it'll likely be getting a mega.

As far as Omastar and Omanyte go, they're my favorite as well, but are also a little more down on the list.

Years
I always choosed the Dome Fossil and I would still do.
As I first played as child I didn't know what I was choosing from I randomly picked one. But as I later realised that I could get different Pokémon and got to them I was pretty happy with my choice.
Kabutops is so cool and I'm really not that much into Water types. I don't really like Omastar....

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I chose da helix fossil. Why? I dunno, it just happened. It turns out, Omastar became my lead player for the game, other than Blastoise....dat Omastar though...

Omastar is great in FR/LG. It has high Sp. Attack but slow Speed but if you run Rain Dance it's speed is doubles making it great. Water stab moves are even more powerful then, it's base speed is around 120 now and it's only weakness is grass which is easily taken out with Ice Beam. Just wish Omastar could learn Giga Drain like Kabutops, that would make it even better.

ZenonPrototype

Prodigy of Ice
Years
Omastar is great in FR/LG. It has high Sp. Attack but slow Speed but if you run Rain Dance it's speed is doubles making it great. Water stab moves are even more powerful then, it's base speed is around 120 now and it's only weakness is grass which is easily taken out with Ice Beam. Just wish Omastar could learn Giga Drain like Kabutops, that would make it even better.

Honestly, that would also be strange, considering Omastar is a Water/Rock Type. Giving it a good Grass-Type move would make it virtually unstoppable, so that's probably why they refrained from doing so.

oshimas

소중한 이 내 맘 모두 나 그대에게
Years
the helix fossil. i always thought omanyte was so darn cute for a fossil. but it always ended up getting boxed. since there was better alternatives for water pokemon

Years
praise lord helix

The Helix Fossil was always my choice. Back when I was 9 years old, I always judged a Pokémon by its appearance, and Omanyte just had a better appearance in my mind compared to Kabuto haha

Years
I chose helix because it sounded cooler. :> That and the Kabuto line wasn't too useful in FR/LG as we didn't have the physical and special split yet. The one time I trained Omastar I actually really enjoyed it and started going with that fossil a whole lot more in playthroughs.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Now that I think about I don't really have a preference, honestly. Kabutops and Omastar aren't exactly my favorite Pokemon, and I only ever used Kabutops once in my Diamond version, so I can't really compare them. I probably just picked a random fossil since I knew I was never going to use them. I can't really pick one now, either, they both have average designs to me and neither of them really stands out, honestly.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Oct 13, 2016
Dome. I trained a Kabutops on leaf green and it's totally awesome.

Shiny Gardevoir

I huntz shiniez
Years
Back at the time I didn't even know which fossil turned out to be who, lol. But I did choose the Helix fossil! Just sounded cooler to me at the time, so I picked it, hehe >:3 But it actually was useful. The only real downside was that it was at Level 5, so it took a hella long while to get it as high as my other team members ^^;

Sadly, I've never used Kabutops. Really really want to use it someday though! If only I knew how amazing Kabutops' design was back then... I guess I'll have to wait till next time, haha. Kabuto kinda freaks me out for no reason though, lol. I wouldn't of have liked it if I chose the Dome Fossil xD

Exactly this ^^^ XD

When I was a kid, I used to always pick Helix cause it sounded cool (yes, I've replayed gen I a whole lot... cause my file always got deleted)... and then when I later learned it was Omanyte whom I had trouble using, I switched to Dome in my later gameplays cause I found Kabutops cooler and a better match in the league =w=

Years
I've never honestly used either of them in FRLG, but if I had to choose the Helix Fossil, if only because I felt that Omastar had better well-rounded stats than Kabutops, but Kabutops can at least use Swords Dance + Rock Slide, which is useful.

Back