• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New design

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
I didn't care. I just log in and my preferred style loads itself anyway. xD

But yush, I don't like the new default style. :/ Took me a few seconds to find where the log-in fields the first time I saw it. xD

Years
I don't really have any problems with Fundamental (I think that's what it is called) even though it isn't my favourite style either, it seems pretty easy to navigate to me. Besides, any old hats who don't like it will probably know how to change to their preferred style and anyone new won't get that unfamiliar feeling from it since it will probably be new to them.

Years
I find Fundamental hard to navigate myself, it's pretty hard to see all the sections' last posts and even on the online list it was hard to see mods because regular users were colored very similar to them.

sCam

Killing is a pleasure
Years
  • Age 33
  • ny
  • Seen Dec 18, 2016
we have a new skin? lol wth. I've been using the let's fly together one forever.

Honest

Hi!
Years
I mean. I personally think that it's so confusing because most if not all the other skins are extremely similar; we've stuck relatively close to the same method of displaying the different forum sections. Cause of that, any drastic change, like the one Fundamental gave us, is going to be hard to navigate. I think it's for that reason that it should be the default, though. It give the whole community the opportunity to try something new for a change, and helps with the whole acceptance of something new as well. If it becomes too much to bear, then the option to change the default is always there, but I feel people are more inclined to at least give the style a chance if it's what they're given first, rather than it be just a style that's there, but not given much publicity. It's always good to try new things, after all.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I'm no final authority on anything, but I would think it's far more useful to the style creators that you use the style's release thread instead to voice your opinions on the properties of the design! Feedback's always cool, and encouraged, for that matter; however, I think a good use of this thread is to gauge whether or not a different, more user friendly style can be used as the forum default, a question I hope an admin or Rukario can answer.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I think that Fundamental is an interesting experimental style, which is certainly something I like to see more of on PC. However, I agree with the OP here also. It's somewhat cluttered due to the side-bar, and the legibility of the forum sections isn't what I would consider to be suitable for new users.

It's a style that I feel would appeal to users who know their way around PC already, and are looking for a fresh change. If I'm honest, the style should be something clean and inviting. A clear example of what I think would be most suitable is Chromatic, or Route 167. I'll reiterate that I think Fundamental is a great style, but it's not as usable as the ones I've linked due to the experimental nature of some of it's functionality, and I do not feel it should be PC's default.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Just wondering if there was any kind of update on the default forum style. I think it would also be nice to know the rationale behind choosing future (and past) forum styles.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Just wondering if there was any kind of update on the default forum style. I think it would also be nice to know the rationale behind choosing future (and past) forum styles.
Okay given that you haven't gotten a response yet I'll just apply what knowledge I have to the situation. Historically there was never any "official" discussion on what a default style should be, in HQ. As long as I was there the default style was chosen at random increments by an Admin when they see fit. I personally don't pose issue with that, especially if they run it by other staff on Skype/other chat methods.

However, I do think it should be reverted when people don't feel the current one is suitable. While this thread has few people stating that there could be a more usable style as the default; I feel that it's enough to consider changing the default to something more relevant to the site.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
Okay given that you haven't gotten a response yet I'll just apply what knowledge I have to the situation. Historically there was never any "official" discussion on what a default style should be, in HQ. As long as I was there the default style was chosen at random increments by an Admin when they see fit. I personally don't pose issue with that, especially if they run it by other staff on Skype/other chat methods.

However, I do think it should be reverted when people don't feel the current one is suitable. While this thread has few people stating that there could be a more usable style as the default; I feel that it's enough to consider changing the default to something more relevant to the site.

Color Flattered ORAS might be a good replacement. I think it's one of the smoothest layouts on the site, plus with ORAS coming out around the corner it could be quite appealing and attract a good deal of traffic to the site. But this could just be bias coming from me considering Color Flattered ORAS is the layout I usually use.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Color Flattered ORAS might be a good replacement. I think it's one of the smoothest layouts on the site, plus with ORAS coming out around the corner it could be quite appealing and attract a good deal of traffic to the site. But this could just be bias coming from me considering Color Flattered ORAS is the layout I usually use.
It's a nice style, but I'm not sure it's a wise choice given that the background image is over 1.3MB in size. Something which will have a quicker load might be a good idea for someone's first look at the site.

A style that causes the site to take longer to load, or a style that isn't accessible or automatically easy to use could end up in loss of registrations. Given PC's recent activity drought (compared to the norm), it would be wise actually taking some time to choose a clean, inviting, and quick-to-load style that is consistent in design/functionality to the broad spectrum of styles that already exist.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
It's a nice style, but I'm not sure it's a wise choice given that the background image is over 1.3MB in size. Something which will have a quicker load might be a good idea for someone's first look at the site.

A style that causes the site to take longer to load, or a style that isn't accessible or automatically easy to use could end up in loss of registrations. Given PC's recent activity drought (compared to the norm), it would be wise actually taking some time to choose a clean, inviting, and quick-to-load style that is consistent in design/functionality to the broad spectrum of styles that already exist.

So maybe...a new layout that combines the feel of Let's Fly Together with an ORAS flair to it? I don't know the specifics of the background image size, but because it only takes up the top part of the screen I feel that it will require less memory than say Color Flattered ORAS.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Maybe create an automatic cycle that changes the default style from a list of selected styles every x amount of months? That way, the problem of finding a default style "somewhat of this style and of that style" wouldn't be much of a problem.

Also I tend to agree with some of the posters above in that while the current default looks pretty spiffy, it's not exactly user-friendly; especially for new users. We want to attract as many people as possible! (I suppose a funky and unique style is one way if you look at it in that regard but eh!)

Disolia

Friend of the Lurantis
Years
  • Age 30
  • MI
  • Seen Aug 14, 2019
As one of the few newly recruited members, I feel that I must state my previous concerns, and dislike of the previous layout. The old layout was very dark, disorientating, and felt like it would be a chore to navigate. From my very first glance at it I felt very intimidated, and was actually debating on whether or not I should even join the site due to the struggle of working my way around what seemed to be a very gloomy forum.

Given my previous opinion of old layout. This new version is a breathe of fresh air, as the colour is much more appealing and lively then the previous version. So much so that I must appraise this new layout and applaud the fact I am now able to traverse around the content with great ease. They have my gratitude.

Last edited:
Back