• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports 2016 Summer Olympics (Brazil)

Years
    Tbh I didn`t feel the RIo Olympics were that great. I felt like they could do more to show Brazil`s culture nonetheless the achivements by athletes I thought were fantastic and especially proud for team GB for what our island achieved second place.
    Also some other countries got their first gold which was great such as Fuji.

But I loved the preview for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
    The Japanese prime minister dressed up as super Mario and the anime reference :D

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Man, I shouldn't be surprised, but the USA racked up the medals.

Bay

Years
    Tbh I didn`t feel the RIo Olympics were that great. I felt like they could do more to show Brazil`s culture nonetheless the achivements by athletes I thought were fantastic and especially proud for team GB for what our island achieved second place.

Guess it would be kinda hard to showcase Brazil's culture with the crime and political stuff going on. Some of the athletes' achievements were indeed pretty cool.

Man, I shouldn't be surprised, but the USA racked up the medals.

What's more amazing is more than half were by female athletes, which I think it's great.

Like everyone else, I was amused at the part of the closing ceremony when Japan is featured. Yay Mario, heh.

Reactions: EC
    Years
    And my home nation of Australia finished in 10th on the medal tally with 29 medals, which is apparently less medals than we earned in London. We did much worse in athletics and cycling than first anticipated.

Shinzo Abe, the Japanese PM dressing as Mario was very funny to see. Anyways, can't wait for Tokyo 2020 because Japan is a great country and they have hosted an Olympics before (1964 if I recall) so I'm sure they'll do a great job with the event.

Years
    Maybe it's because I'm older, wiser, and better able to notice these things, but it seemed like the american broadcast coverage this year was the worst it's been. I didn't get to see many sports, I knew almost nothing about most of the athletes, and little attention was payed to Rio itself. I wish I had gotten around to monkeying my IP settings to let me watch BBC iPlayer instead. Can anyone confirm if that coverage was better?

That said, these games still felt special. The refugee athletes were such a beautiful embodiment of the Olympic spirit. We saw acts of sportsmanship, and although we also saw acts of corruption, I think bringing those to light can be seen as a positive since it will encourage future change.

We got to see the swansongs of the world's greatest swimmer and the world's greatest sprinter, Phelps and Bolt. I'm sure that future athletes will rise even higher, but I can't help but feel like the records we saw them set will stand for some time.

Years
    Maybe it's because I'm older, wiser, and better able to notice these things, but it seemed like the american broadcast coverage this year was the worst it's been. I didn't get to see many sports, I knew almost nothing about most of the athletes, and little attention was payed to Rio itself. I wish I had gotten around to monkeying my IP settings to let me watch BBC iPlayer instead. Can anyone confirm if that coverage was better?
    Yup as someone in the Uk the coverage was good as it showed all the sports as it was mostly on tv for the entire day. The reporting from the journalists were alright and gave information about the athletes.

Years
    Yup as someone in the Uk the coverage was good as it showed all the sports as it was mostly on tv for the entire day. The reporting from the journalists were alright and gave information about the athletes.

That's good to hear. NBC has some good commentators for the individual sports, but overall I think the quality of their coverage has come down over the years. I'd be really interested to hear the commentary from the UK.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I think this is the best their coverage has been since London. Maybe even Vancouver. With a few exceptions, EVERYTHING was live. You just had to know where to look. Either one of their 7 channels or online.

Back