• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Event 2024 Reading Challenge!

Years
I want to join this year. Before I set my goal I had a question or two. Can you count a book that you read before, but are revisiting this year i.e re-reading an old favorite or classic? I do that sometimes, especially with books that I was maybe too young to understand or appreciate as well when I first read them, as I can now.

Something else I wanted to ask about is how short stories are counted? I read a lot of those, and was hoping that I would be able to mention them here, even If I need to put multiple stories together to equal one book.

Years
I want to join this year. Before I set my goal I had a question or two. Can you count a book that you read before, but are revisiting this year i.e re-reading an old favorite or classic? I do that sometimes, especially with books that I was maybe too young to understand or appreciate as well when I first read them, as I can now.

Something else I wanted to ask about is how short stories are counted? I read a lot of those, and was hoping that I would be able to mention them here, even If I need to put multiple stories together to equal one book.
Welcome!!!

Any book counts, not only new ones. Stories we've read before are just so comforting, we'd never leave those out!

As far as short stories are concerned, I leave that entirely up to the reader. The main reason we run this challenge is to give ourselves a goal so we will hopefully read more, and we can help and encourage each other to achieve that. It's not exactly a competition so you be your own guide with what you class as a book in that respect.

Personally, I would probably count a few short stories as one book depending on their page counts, but feel free to count them as you wish and just adjust your total accordingly 😊

Years
So, a little story before I talk about the next book. Recently, I had to get the Instagram app on my phone because I had to stay in touch with some people. And because I didn't really had anyone to follow there, Instagram decided to recommend me some pages to follow. And also started showing me these weird self-help pages. And most of their posts were about "50 books you have to read in 2024 that will fix your life". And it got me curious. Now, I don't believe most of these books are any good, but I decided to check one out. The worst thing that can happen is that I can just laught at the author. And so, I picked this book...

Do It Today: Overcome Procrastination, Improve Productivity, and Achieve More Meaningful Things by Darius Foroux
...And it was awful! Imagine your typical Andrew Tate-ish "life couch", but with no charisma and barely anything to say. Most of this book was about promoting toxic work-culture of always grinding and never resting. Hobbies? No, they only stop you from working. Spending time with friends? No, only work. Work. Work. Work. Only the weak-minded will burn out and it was only because they didn't work enough. And then immediately after that the author contradicts everything they said and tells you to play Call of Duty... I'm not kiding, that's the actual line from the book. It was made by the typical life couch playbook. It takes some random research (some even with actual merits), but don't cite any of them, so you can't really check if the research is real and what were the actual findings. And then wrap it in most toxic and ill-meant advices. Some observations in the book have a great and unexpected depth. Like the observation that tasks that require lots of time to complete will take longer to complete than task that don't require lots of time. I'm very sorry for anyone, who read this and hoped it would be helpful.

I'm certainly continuing on with those "self-help" books. Some of the recommended ones are so great that they were literally released few days before the post about them was made. That's a gold mine right here!

[3/25]

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
So, I'm done. I've read all nine books. I still plan on reading more stuff. I still have some side content and I'm also currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo. I'll still take some time to update my new goals. What I'm saying is that I won't stop at 9 books. I just haven't decided what to go for next. ^^"

I really enjoyed the remaining books. That of course includes the two remaining series that I didn't get to in my last challenge (the Tiffany Aching books and the Moist von Lipwig ones). However, there definitely was a shift in tone. In general, the pace in which the world evolved sped up quite a bit. A lot of changes happened in the bigger political spectrum. And I feel like it was the combination of Pratchett's illness getting worse and worse as well as him wanting to leave the series with a positive message (something we don't see today as often, as negativity and that stuff just sells better <_<).

In regards to how I rank the different storylines I don't think much has changed for me. I put the Tiffany Aching series on the same level as the witches books, followed by the City Watch. This one took a little bit of a dip, though. The earlier books put more focus on all the watchmen while the later ones where alittle bit too focused on Samuel Vimes in particular. He's not a bad character by any means. I just wished the others stayed as relevant.
Third I'd put the Industrial Revolution books (the ones centered around Moist von Lipwig in particular). I didn't like Moving Pictures all that much. But that's mostly because I'm not a fan of movies in particular. So the whole topic kinda went over my head.
It's kind of similar with the Death series which I rank fourth. There were some books I liked a lot ("Reaper Man" and "Hogfather" and even "The Thief of Time"). But books like "Mort" and "Soul Music" didn't really resonate with me. Again, the latter because I'm not hugely into music. Only thing I'm sad is that this series kinda feels the most unfinished. There could have still been a book or two.
Lastly, the Wizards books kinda suffered a little from having a protagonist who didn't want to be a protagonist. It didn't help that the luggage is also a mini deus-ex-machina device in a way. You can tell that Pratched had issues with keeping those two in that position. WHich is why it's perfectly understandable why the latter books focus more on the other wizards. Especially Mustrum Ridcully the Archchancelor as well as Ponder Stibbons the nerd among the wizards who basically ended up running everything because the others didn't. xD

All in all I can definitely recommend the series. If you want to read them all I actually recommend reading them in publishing order. It's just very rewarding when things that were introduced in one book happen to be a staple in the following ones. Everything just builds on the previous things. That's something you kinda miss out on when you decide to just read by series.
Progress report... I actually started a book! Yep me! Thanks to our dear Megan, I finally started reading Pratchett again.

I decided to begin with the Tiffany Aching series because they are YA books so they're not full of stuff I don't want to deal with right now. They are not epicly long either, and they also resonate with me quite a bit.

My grandfather was basically Tiffany's granny. Tiffany's life was similar to my own for a good chunk of my childhood. I always enjoy discovering the wee bits and pieces Terry put in that were actually based on genuine real-life.

I'm about halfway through The Wee Free Men so far, but unfortunately had to take a break for a while as my head wasn't playing ball. I will hopefully get that finished soon then I can get on to the rest of them! 📚
That's definitely a fun series to read. I do admit that it took me a little to get into the series. I want to say the second book was where I got really into it. One sad thing, for me though, is that the last book of the series also happens to be the last book of his that got published. So it came with some extra weight. ^^"

I do like how these books not only focus on Tiffany growing up and growing into her role and becoming a witch who is standing on her own. But they also give focus to the community around her.
You absolutely sold me at cats... then I read the rest of the post 😭
I recommend "The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents". It's the YA novel Pratchett wrote before starting the Tiffany Aching series. :)

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
The Goodbye Cat by Hiro Arikawa - A decent collection of short stories centered around cats. Quite a few of them had sad endings, so be wary if anyone picks this up.
You should read The Travelling Cat Chronicles, if you haven't! It's either a prequel or sequel novel that goes into detail about one of the cats featured in The Goodbye Cat... kind of. I read it first and it's really sweet in the same sort of way. (But also made me cry, fair warning for this one too!)

Years
I'm finally ready to update, the first book I read was The Great Gatsby through school. Although I was forced to read through this one, I quite liked it. The extravagant lifestyles and parties of the main characters make it a much more enjoyable read then the soul crushing poverty in Of Mice and Men and I can relate to Gatsby in not being born rich but still wanting to make something of myself. It also has great writing (I actually wanted to know what was going to happen next, even if the phrasing is a bit stilted by today's standards) and is rich in symbolism.

The next and final book I read was Investing for Teens, a book I got for Christmas and finally read because I was bored at work and it's small enough to fit into my breast pocket without being too obvious. In any case, I also found it rather good; it was written in 2021 so it was able to explain things in a modern context. The book also managed to strike the fine balance between not being too overwhelming but also not coming off as patronizing or written for parents; it felt like the author was treating me as a capable adult instead of as a total idiot while still being engaging and very effective at teaching various investing basics.

[3/15]

Years
Looks like a fun challenge!

i pledge to read 5 books by the end of the year.

I'm going to aim for 20 books.

Welcome to you both!!! I have added your goals to the list 😊

I'm finally ready to update, the first book I read was The Great Gatsby through school. Although I was forced to read through this one, I quite liked it. The extravagant lifestyles and parties of the main characters make it a much more enjoyable read then the soul crushing poverty in Of Mice and Men and I can relate to Gatsby in not being born rich but still wanting to make something of myself. It also has great writing (I actually wanted to know what was going to happen next, even if the phrasing is a bit stilted by today's standards) and is rich in symbolism.

The next and final book I read was Investing for Teens, a book I got for Christmas and finally read because I was bored at work and it's small enough to fit into my breast pocket without being too obvious. In any case, I also found it rather good; it was written in 2021 so it was able to explain things in a modern context. The book also managed to strike the fine balance between not being too overwhelming but also not coming off as patronizing or written for parents; it felt like the author was treating me as a capable adult instead of as a total idiot while still being engaging and very effective at teaching various investing basics.

[3/15]

Thank you for sharing your progress! I have updated your total 😊

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 25, 2024
You should read The Travelling Cat Chronicles, if you haven't! It's either a prequel or sequel novel that goes into detail about one of the cats featured in The Goodbye Cat... kind of. I read it first and it's really sweet in the same sort of way. (But also made me cry, fair warning for this one too!)
I ordered it while in the middle of The Goodbye Cat so it's in my house somewhere!

Updating this before I forget!

Maame by Jessica George - A fast read that was simple yet enjoyable. There were some parts that pushed how sheltered the main character could be about the world, but it still was decent and there were parts that made me laugh.

Lilith by Nikki Marmery - I regretted every second I spent reading this book.

Heartsong by TJ Klune - Green Creek book number three and I adore this series. Everything from start to finish was hopeful yet heartbreaking.

Total: 8/14

Years
I meant to say, I've gotten through two books so far. I started the year out with The Bone Season and I've been re-reading the His Dark Materials series since I haven't actually read those books since middle school (I finished the first and I'm half through the second). The Bone Season is middling but solid, so far the trilogy holds up.

Years
Oh I can tie this in with my Goodreads!

I pledged 15 books for that one - currently VERY behind on it but I've kinda mapped out what I'm gunna read for it now, so have finally started.

Just finished If It Bleeds by Stephen King, amazing book! As much as I enjoy his longer works such as The Stand and such, his collections of short stories are just always amazing and this continues that trend.

Years
Oh I can tie this in with my Goodreads!

I pledged 15 books for that one - currently VERY behind on it but I've kinda mapped out what I'm gunna read for it now, so have finally started.

Just finished If It Bleeds by Stephen King, amazing book! As much as I enjoy his longer works such as The Stand and such, his collections of short stories are just always amazing and this continues that trend.
Welcome once again! I have added you to the pledge list!

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
ouuu I'm late but hey! i'm here :)

let me pledge 15 books for the year! it seems wild that i used to do that in less than a month haha. but we tryin'. so much else to read that aren't books these days.

i've already done two though! entered my Rhett and Link era like fifteen years late or whatever and read their books The Lost Causes of Bleak Creek and The Book of Mythicality. both very interesting books in very different ways :)

coming in hot with 2/15 ✨

Years
late too!

i am not much of a reader but this year i really want to change that.

since last december i have already read two books and i am currently reading through one.

i want to set my goal small so i'll keep it at 6 books for now, with one having been read.

also don't mind me being a nerdfighter so far this year i've read a beautifully foolish endeavor by hank green and am currently reading the anthropocene reviewed by his brother, john green

1/6

Years
ouuu I'm late but hey! i'm here :)

let me pledge 15 books for the year! it seems wild that i used to do that in less than a month haha. but we tryin'. so much else to read that aren't books these days.

i've already done two though! entered my Rhett and Link era like fifteen years late or whatever and read their books The Lost Causes of Bleak Creek and The Book of Mythicality. both very interesting books in very different ways :)

coming in hot with 2/15 ✨

late too!

i am not much of a reader but this year i really want to change that.

since last december i have already read two books and i am currently reading through one.

i want to set my goal small so i'll keep it at 6 books for now, with one having been read.

also don't mind me being a nerdfighter so far this year i've read a beautifully foolish endeavor by hank green and am currently reading the anthropocene reviewed by his brother, john green

1/6
Welcome, welcome!!! I will get you both added the the list right now! ☺️

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
I've finished two more books:

"Nation" by Terry Pratchett

"Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

I think I'll need to take a break from reading books for a while. ^^"

Years
I finally sat down and finished The Subtle Knife yesterday. That puts me at 3/20 books so far (yikes) and 2/3 for my re-read of His Dark Materials.

Years
i've decided to commit to 10 books! i'm in a bit of a reading slump rn
i've only read 2 books so far:
- finished City of Endless Night by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child. It's like the 17th book in a series that I read when I just...need something not too intense to think on. 2/5 Stars. It was fine. Sentimental moment of it being the last book read by the longtime series audiobook narrator René Auberjonois before he passed.
- Piranesi by Susanna Clarke, 3/5 Stars. It was good, and I'm glad it was short. The audiobook's performance itself was good, but it did kind of drag a little bit at first. Was very interesting learning everything the way you did.

I'm in the middle of Summer Sons by Lee Mandelo. It's a good book, but just....a heavy subject.

Back