• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3 Starters vs. 1 Starter

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    For those who have watched Best Wishes series, I am sure you have seen by now Ash team consists of the three Unova starters Snivy, Tepig, and Oshawott. Too me that seems a little generic like with Johto and Kanto(even though I felt it was good for Kanto since it was the start of the series). I just feel it would be better if they worked around 1 starter like with Treecko they would have more options for pokemon to use, allow for a better rotation, and maybe more development for more pokemon. When I say more development I mean we could already have Leavanny by now if that was his only Grass type above Snivy, they could have opted for another Fire type like Darumaka family or Heatmor(since Trip has Litwick family, and I highly doubt he would ever get Larvesta, then again he got a Gible.), then they give him only Oshawott and give Trip Snivy that way Ash is still the underdog cause Trip has the type advantage and they can even give more focus on Oshawott not that he doesn't have enough as is. Also I think having all the starters will hinder rotation a bit, cause I doubt he will be sending any of them to Juniper, whereas if it was another poke that wasn't a starter they would be more inclined to send them off to Junipers from time to time. Then again I am sure this is probably marketing motivated as well, who knows.

So do you prefer all the starters on Ash Team? Or do you prefer more diversity?

3 Starters vs. 1 Starter
    3 Starters vs. 1 Starter
    3 Starters vs. 1 Starter

vs.

3 Starters vs. 1 Starter
    3 Starters vs. 1 Starter
    3 Starters vs. 1 Starter

Years
    I like him with all starters better. This may not be the case with some series, I mean, Piplup was a good choice for Dawn.

Never expected Brock to own Mudkip.

I don't really mind but main characters with all starters might be a good promotion technique.

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
    Years
    In some ways it's good and some way's its bad. I personally would go for more diverse pokemon but as Hikari said above me, it could be a good promotion if he has all three starters. What I am most excited for is his egg to hatch.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I liked Ash having all 3 starters on his team because I like too see how they interact with one another.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    It doesn't matter much to me at all right now, hes already using a rotated team, so I'm sure he'll be catching more Pokémon through Unova, so his teams should be quite diverse.

Years
    I'm sick of seeing the starters spammed across the entire Pokemon media; there are other Pokemon too, you know. There are so many interesting species, yet a huge portion of them are neglected and make nothing more than one-time appearances in the anime, manga, and even the games. Personally, I prefer more diversity on Ash's team. I absolutely adored his Hoenn team because it was filled with such unique Pokemon. Torkoal, Corphish, Glalie and maybe even Swellow are all underused Pokemon (No, I'm not referring to Smogon) and they made his team very unique and interesting. Those Pokemon might've never been acknowledged by many fans if the anime never gave them their chance to shine. Seriously, Glalie? I bet no one saw that coming!

My god, those three ridiculous starters are everywhere! They're like a horrid plague attacking the franchise. Sometimes enough is enough, let's see some lesser-used, more interesting Pokemon for a change. We don't need Ash owning all three starters with Trip and Bianca owning some of their own as well. Give Ash Oshawott, Trip Snivy, and make Bianca a more prominent character with Tepig. I liked the Hoenn set-up, but it was a shame that the writers didn't give Brock more battling time. Brock didn't even get that much screentime, but at least he still felt like a part of the team and had some personality. DP absolutely destroyed him... But that's a different topic for a different day...

Last edited:

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
    I would have preferred more diversity. I find it boring when Ash gets the three of them (excluding Kanto since it was the very first season in which everything was special). Cilan could have had the Snivy and Iris the Tepig after all.

StevieJee

Pokémon Agate
    Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2011
    I think it's just because they want to promote the series and so they're giving him all the starters. I kinda wish he didn't have all 3 though.. kinda takes the specialness and "rareness" of the starters away. I think each member of the team should have a starter each... or to make a BIG change.. give Team Rocket a starter.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I would've preferred the starters to be split between cast members.
    Tripp having Snivy works, and if a more prominent character should've gotten him, then Dent should've had him on his team instead. Then Ash and Iris could've gotten Oshawott, and Tepig. That way the starters would get the same amount of attention (if that's what the writers were going for), but it wouldn't be another case of "ASH HAS THEM ALLLL". :/

I like them enough (used to hate them, but oh well), that I might seeing them on there so much, but like I said.. could've given 'em to different trainers.

AustInsane

Breeder
    Years
    Diversity for shizz. I don't get what's wrong with isolating one starter to train if pikachu is allowed to be the star of the show the whole series. I agree it was okay the first season but with treecko, corphish, torkoal, that was tight.

Years
    I think that each main character should have received one starter each.

In Hoenn, they did this...
    Ash - Treecko, May - Torchic, Brock - Mudkip

In Sinnoh, it was this...
    Ash - Turtwig and Chimchar (formerly Paul's), Dawn - Piplup

But in Kanto/Johto/Unova, they gave him all the starters.

In Unova, if I was making the anime - this is what I would make it.

Ash - Oshawott, Cilan - Snivy, Iris - Tepig

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2011
    I REALLY like it better when he has only one starter, I agree, it gives his team a lot more diversity. Having three starters makes his team really generic, it's like, okay so, Ash has all three starters, pikachu, a flying-bird pokemon, and some other pokemon (scraggy,phanphy). C'mon it gets boring after awhile.

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
    See Houen I believe had the best formula. I prefer Ash/Satoshi having more diversity. It allows other characters to have the starter backbone and allows Ash to explore the option of other Pokemon that are Fire, water, and grass that are not starters. I mean I love Snivy, but I mean Ash has Swadloon so I mean it seems like one or the other would have been good enough.

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
    The only reason I'd prefer ash not to get the starters is for my own selfishness.
    I want to be able to use all the starters in the games without being compared to ash.
    For example, a few of my favourite pokemon are; Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charizard, Pidgeotto and Pikachu. Yet I can't have this team in game as it makes me feel stupid haha.

I also like every other starter, so from now on Ash should get a whole range of pokemon and contantly swap them around.

vagrantwanderer

Saturated Sarcasm
    Years
    I think it's just because they want to promote the series and so they're giving him all the starters. I kinda wish he didn't have all 3 though.. kinda takes the specialness and "rareness" of the starters away. I think each member of the team should have a starter each... or to make a BIG change.. give Team Rocket a starter.

Snivy's attitude would definitely fit the new team rocket.

Back