• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

30 vs 60 FPS

johnson83

Banned
Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2018
    For me 30 fps for open world / rpg / turn base
    60 fps for fps

If you choose 60 all the time. {XD}

IGK bet

Last edited:

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • I can never tell the difference

It's easy to see on PC when your game goes down to 30 and then pops back up to 60. I think it's harder to notice when the transition isnt so... sudden, but still noticeable.

I personally don't get the question, as if you could chose, why wouldn't you always chose 60? There is no reason not to, unless you like the look of lower FPS or something.

As far as people saying the eye can't see a difference, I do believe that has been scientifically proven false. I think the FPS you can see ranges from 120 to 200 depending on source, but that range is well over 60 to start with. Forgive me for not having a source, my brain is fried from a long day of college.

To answer what I think the question is, For PC 60 fps is my standard, I'd prefer as high as I can get( 60-120), But I can also put up with down to 40fps. Any lower than 40 and I start to antsy.

You don't get a choice on console... so there's that... Answer: yes.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I can't really tell between 30 and 60, unless I'm playing an FPS. I like a solid 80-120 when playing overwatch.

TY

I can easily tell the difference between 30 and 60, but also between 60 and the 120+ part since im so used to have 120+ fps all the time, the drops below start to be noticeable a lot.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    As a console and handheld gamer - as well as being someone who prefers retro-style JRPGs above all else - this literally never matters for me.

I understand that people want 60 if it's possible, and that's perfectly reasonable, sure. Go with the best you can get, there's no reason not to. When there's absolutely any question about frame rate impacting performance, though - whether that's because of the engine of the game in question, the platform on which it's played, or any other technical element - I always prefer a 30 FPS rate with stronger general performance. That's not commonplace anymore, but there have been games where that's an important factor.

A stable 30 FPS, though, is always sufficient for me. I don't know that, as someone with a PS4 Slim as my strongest console, I even have anything capable of running games at 60 FPS.

To me the question has always been one of those that's a little bit picky. It's primarily for people with PCs and monitors that can produce that kind of frame rate, and I just don't have the kind of money required to make the leap to PC gaming.

Yukari

Screw you guys I play all my games at 144FPS. d:

Granted, way too many games are capped at 60FPS. Kinda sucks whenever that happens because it s notably less smooth.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I can vaguely notice the difference sometimes but it's fine as long as it's locked to one or the other and doesn't go lower or change haphazardly.

Back