• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4-Year Survival Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen yesterday
    Let's not and say we did. Riots cause problems, not solve them.

But hey, turns out that at least half of Protesters didn't actually cast a ballot. Whoops. Guess they dropped the ball on that one, huh?

Can you blame them when the choice was between Ms Courrupt-Establishment and Captain Caveman?

Not voting doesn't suddenly invalidate your right to protest or complain. If all realistic options didnt represent you, why vote for any of them? The MSM gave so little coverage to Stein and only really terrible, negative coverage of Johnson (whats an Aleppo) that for many people, third party would of never entered their mind. Left with two of the worst choices in modern memory it's no wonder so many didn't vote at all.

Years
    I think a good survival plan would be for everyone to stop crying over spoilt milk and get over the fact that Trump won the election fair and square.

I believe that Trump most likely won't be that bad and if people really don't like him then instead of retreating into their safe spaces, rioting and screaming at people who have different opinions they should wait for the two years and go and vote in the midterms.

Yes Trump has an bit of an ego but so do alot of people on this planet and ego aside he seems like a nice and decent human being who has been very generous in the past.

People aren't angry because of "spoilt milk" or because Trump has "a bit of an ego". They're angry because the two most powerful men in the country are a racist reality TV star and someone who wants to electrocute gay people until they turn straight. This isn't as simple as differing opinions.

Years
    Can you blame them when the choice was between Ms Corrupt-Establishment and Captain Caveman?
    Well, the problem I see with going out and protesting and starting riots is that the vast majority of these protesters are protesting against Trump. Nobody seems to be complaining about much else. If you didn't want to see him in office, at least vote against or at least vote. If you did nothing to try and change the outcome, than why are you so mad?

Granted, it was a choice between the two, like you said, but a lot of protesters are shouting 'anyone but Trump' and if that really was the case, than maybe they should have voted? I'm also going to stick by the idea that roughly half of all protesters didn't vote. It seems statistically accurate to me, all things considered, as roughly half of all Americans didn't actually vote.

It seems silly to me, to be honest. If you start protests without the proper set up and complain when cops are lobbing CS gas your way you probably need to ask yourself why the cops feel the need to actually use a crowd control device. Protests are fine, riots are not. As soon as your protest damages someone else's property, it ceases to be a protest and becomes an unlawful assembly.

Block traffic and you might wind up dead. Stay at home and write instead. (it rhymed)

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen yesterday
    Well, the problem I see with going out and protesting and starting riots is that the vast majority of these protesters are protesting against Trump. Nobody seems to be complaining about much else. If you didn't want to see him in office, at least vote against or at least vote. If you did nothing to try and change the outcome, than why are you so mad?

Granted, it was a choice between the two, like you said, but a lot of protesters are shouting 'anyone but Trump' and if that really was the case, than maybe they should have voted? I'm also going to stick by the idea that roughly half of all protesters didn't vote. It seems statistically accurate to me, all things considered, as roughly half of all Americans didn't actually vote.

It seems silly to me, to be honest. If you start protests without the proper set up and complain when cops are lobbing CS gas your way you probably need to ask yourself why the cops feel the need to actually use a crowd control device. Protests are fine, riots are not. As soon as your protest damages someone else's property, it ceases to be a protest and becomes an unlawful assembly.

Block traffic and you might wind up dead. Stay at home and write instead. (it rhymed)

To be fair, the American police have never needed much of a reasonable excuse to use excessive force. It's embarrassing actually, as a foreign observer, to watch the way a big portion of US police behave.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I'm gonna stay and fight! Luckily there aren't many lunatics where I live, but you gotta be prepared, they DID win the election.

Years
    To be fair, the American police have never needed much of a reasonable excuse to use excessive force. It's embarrassing actually, as a foreign observer, to watch the way a big portion of US police behave.
    Spoiler:

(This is meant to be a fun educational rather than a boring droll of numbers, please take it as such and not personal)

For everyone's general knowledge: Numbers

Teachy TV Time!

Take a look at this!
    Spoiler:

We have roughly 1M police officers within the United States right now! As the study above was made in 2010, we'll chop the numbers to 800k for ease of use purposes! This poster shows that a lot of police and law enforcement officers are nasty, right? So, let's see just how many cops really are bad. So, who's bad (besides Michael)?

Math time!

So, 800,000 officers . . .

and we'll round up for 6,000 reports.

We're looking for the percentage of officers that had reports filed against them. Let's just assume that all reports are against a different officer in this case (even though that's not likely true)

Here we go (let's see if I can remember this)

100%/x%=800,000/6,000
    (100/x)*x=(800,000/6,000)*x
    100=133.33*x
    100/133.33=x
    0.75=x
    x=0.75%

Whoa. Isn't that interesting? Out of all officers in the United States, only .75% had reports filed against them!

This is fun, isn't it! Let's continue!

So, out of 6000 reports, 33% were charged! Hmm. Let's do some more math here. . .

6,000/x=100/33
    (6,000/x)*x=(100/33)*x
    6,000=3.030*x
    6,000/3.030=x
    1980=x
    x=1980

Whoa! So out of all 6,000 of those reports 1,980 officers were actually charged! This is, assuming that they're all different officers. Hmm. What else does this report say? Oh wow! A whopping 64% conviction rate against the officers that were actually charged with an indictment! Ouch! Let's find out more!

So of 1,980 officers . . . take that here . . . carry the one . . . Ah! So I'm looking for 64% of 1,980! This is going to be tough!

1980/x=100/64
    (1980/x)*x=(100/64)*x
    1980=1.5625*x
    1980/1.5625=x
    1267.2=x
    x=1267.2

Hm. A lot bigger than I had thought! A whopping 1,267 officers were convicted out of 6,000 reports! Wait! I don't think we're done just yet! Let's go back to the original number of officers! There were 800,000 officers total, remember? So what percentage is 1,267 out of 800,000? Hm. Let's find out!

100%/x%=800,000/1267
    (100/x)*x=(800,000/1267)*x
    100=631.4127*x
    100/631.4127=x
    0.158375=x
    x=0.158375

Whoa! Only .15%? Is that right? No. Wait, we aren't finished just yet. So, out of 800,000 police officers. . . .15% and *mumble mumble*

800000/x=100/0.15
    (800000/x)*x=(100/0.15)*x
    800000=666.66*x
    800000/666.66=x
    1200=x
    x=1200

Wow! Finally! We're all done and we found out 1,200 police officers out of 800,000 used brutality! So that's what they meant by rampant police brutality! Wait . . . the study only says misconduct, not brutality! Hm. Let's just see what that means . . . WHAT? I have to do more math? Make it stop Pikachu! Okay, let's see here. . . I must have skipped a step! No matter, as these are just numbers, we can't be bothered! The percentages don't change that much do they? Let's see. So 23.3% of these misconducts were excessive force. Okay! So:

1200/x=100/23.3
    (1200/x)*x=(100/23.3)*x
    1200=4.2918454935622*x
    1200/4.2918454935622=x
    279.6=x
    x=279.6

Hm. So only 280 officers were convicted of excessive force or there abouts? Hm. Let's see. . . whoa! A Whopping 13% of those excessive force cases resulted in death? Isn't that just lovely, right Pikachu? (Teachy TV, right?)

So, 13% out of 280 . . .

280/x=100/13
    (280/x)*x=(100/13)*x
    280=7.69*x
    280/7.69=x
    36.4=x
    x=36.4

Ohohoho! I think we're finally done! So, out of all that, we're left with roughly 36 officers that actually wrongfully killed someone! Hm. Let's just try one more thing . . .

100%/x%=800000/34
    (100/x)*x=(800000/34)*x
    100=23529.41*x
    100/23529.41=x
    0.00425=x
    x=0.00425

IRK! Lots of small numbers! So, out of all the police officers in the United States during that time, only .0042% actually used force in such a way that was unlawful! Pretty strange, don't you think? What do you guys think? 'Til Next time! Teachy TV, for all your informational needs!

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen yesterday
    Spoiler:

(This is meant to be a fun educational rather than a boring droll of numbers, please take it as such and not personal)

For everyone's general knowledge: Numbers

Teachy TV Time!

Take a look at this!
    Spoiler:

We have roughly 1M police officers within the United States right now! As the study above was made in 2010, we'll chop the numbers to 800k for ease of use purposes! This poster shows that a lot of police and law enforcement officers are nasty, right? So, let's see just how many cops really are bad. So, who's bad (besides Michael)?

Math time!

So, 800,000 officers . . .

and we'll round up for 6,000 reports.

We're looking for the percentage of officers that had reports filed against them. Let's just assume that all reports are against a different officer in this case (even though that's not likely true)

Here we go (let's see if I can remember this)

100%/x%=800,000/6,000
    (100/x)*x=(800,000/6,000)*x
    100=133.33*x
    100/133.33=x
    0.75=x
    x=0.75%

Whoa. Isn't that interesting? Out of all officers in the United States, only .75% had reports filed against them!

This is fun, isn't it! Let's continue!

So, out of 6000 reports, 33% were charged! Hmm. Let's do some more math here. . .

6,000/x=100/33
    (6,000/x)*x=(100/33)*x
    6,000=3.030*x
    6,000/3.030=x
    1980=x
    x=1980

Whoa! So out of all 6,000 of those reports 1,980 officers were actually charged! This is, assuming that they're all different officers. Hmm. What else does this report say? Oh wow! A whopping 64% conviction rate against the officers that were actually charged with an indictment! Ouch! Let's find out more!

So of 1,980 officers . . . take that here . . . carry the one . . . Ah! So I'm looking for 64% of 1,980! This is going to be tough!

1980/x=100/64
    (1980/x)*x=(100/64)*x
    1980=1.5625*x
    1980/1.5625=x
    1267.2=x
    x=1267.2

Hm. A lot bigger than I had thought! A whopping 1,267 officers were convicted out of 6,000 reports! Wait! I don't think we're done just yet! Let's go back to the original number of officers! There were 800,000 officers total, remember? So what percentage is 1,267 out of 800,000? Hm. Let's find out!

100%/x%=800,000/1267
    (100/x)*x=(800,000/1267)*x
    100=631.4127*x
    100/631.4127=x
    0.158375=x
    x=0.158375

Whoa! Only .15%? Is that right? No. Wait, we aren't finished just yet. So, out of 800,000 police officers. . . .15% and *mumble mumble*

800000/x=100/0.15
    (800000/x)*x=(100/0.15)*x
    800000=666.66*x
    800000/666.66=x
    1200=x
    x=1200

Wow! Finally! We're all done and we found out 1,200 police officers out of 800,000 used brutality! So that's what they meant by rampant police brutality! Wait . . . the study only says misconduct, not brutality! Hm. Let's just see what that means . . . WHAT? I have to do more math? Make it stop Pikachu! Okay, let's see here. . . I must have skipped a step! No matter, as these are just numbers, we can't be bothered! The percentages don't change that much do they? Let's see. So 23.3% of these misconducts were excessive force. Okay! So:

1200/x=100/23.3
    (1200/x)*x=(100/23.3)*x
    1200=4.2918454935622*x
    1200/4.2918454935622=x
    279.6=x
    x=279.6

Hm. So only 280 officers were convicted of excessive force or there abouts? Hm. Let's see. . . whoa! A Whopping 13% of those excessive force cases resulted in death? Isn't that just lovely, right Pikachu? (Teachy TV, right?)

So, 13% out of 280 . . .

280/x=100/13
    (280/x)*x=(100/13)*x
    280=7.69*x
    280/7.69=x
    36.4=x
    x=36.4

Ohohoho! I think we're finally done! So, out of all that, we're left with roughly 36 officers that actually wrongfully killed someone! Hm. Let's just try one more thing . . .

100%/x%=800000/34
    (100/x)*x=(800000/34)*x
    100=23529.41*x
    100/23529.41=x
    0.00425=x
    x=0.00425

IRK! Lots of small numbers! So, out of all the police officers in the United States during that time, only .0042% actually used force in such a way that was unlawful! Pretty strange, don't you think? What do you guys think? 'Til Next time! Teachy TV, for all your informational needs!

Implying that police brutality never goes unreported or that every guilty party gets charged.

4-Year Survival Plan

I, along with a lot of others, will never forget seeing this moron and how every other single cop there stood by and done nothing whilst a police officer assaulted peaceful protesters with an item that is a prohibited/restricted weapon in most of the developed world. Silence is compliance in these cases.

Years
    Implying that police brutality never goes unreported or that every guilty party gets charged.
    Even if you multiply that number 10 fold, it still doesn't equate to the kinds of numbers being labeled and offered by the media you may be seeing. It shows less than 10% of all officers (if multiplied by ten) as even being reported for misconduct. Cherry picking singular instances is . . . poor form. You probably should have picked Rodney King instead if you wanted to actually make a statement.

I think I'm going to play devil's advocate here. So, police said they could stay as long as they wanted, so long as they don't set up camp, i.e. tents. Police warned them and gave them until 1500 to remove themselves and their belongings. Seems reasonable. Here's what this gentleman had to say on this issue:
    Charles J. Kelly, a former Baltimore Police Department lieutenant who wrote the department's use of force guidelines, said pepper spray is a "compliance tool" that can be used on subjects who do not resist, and is preferable to simply lifting protesters.

"When you start picking up human bodies, you risk hurting them," Kelly said. "Bodies don't have handles on them."

After reviewing the video, Kelly said he observed at least two cases of "active resistance" from protesters. In one instance, a woman pulls her arm back from an officer. In the second instance, a protester curls into a ball. Each of those actions could have warranted more force, including baton strikes and pressure-point techniques.

"What I'm looking at is fairly standard police procedure," Kelly said.

They could have used CS Gas, if that would make anyone happier.

"Hey, you need to leave by this time or you will be forced to leave"
    "No"
    *5 hours roll by*
    "Alright, you were warned. Leave"
    "No"
    *sprayed*

In the instance you gave me, people outright refused to leave. Once something is declared as unlawful and you're told to leave, you should do that, right? If you are being actively defiant and you are aware that there would be consequences, would you be surprised? You know, trespassing is a misdemeanor, so it's with a lot of luck that a lot of these kids didn't get charged. Once an officer tells you something, and you go against the lawful and reasonable orders, you are then eligible for being arrested and charged.

This also doesn't mean that the numbers are incorrect. So, if we assume even 60,000 reports against police which is being extremely generous, you're looking at only 7.5% of officers even being reported for misconduct. And if I went further and said we wanted to look at this year's Police Force, we're talking about a 1000% increase spike in misconduct reports against one million officers. This makes 6% of all officers. Indictments result in 19,800 officers and that means 4,554 convicted. Of which 23% are excessive force means 1047 officers and of those, 136 charges resulted in fatalities. This means 0.14% of officers committed excessive force resulting in death.

Of course, this is only if you extrapolate those numbers to astronomical amounts. It still results in less than 1% of all officers. Is there something I seemed to have missed? I mean, even if those numbers were true, and they aren't, what makes all of the police officers bad?

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2018
    Are we really going to pretend that distilling incidents of reported police brutality by comparing number in incidents vs number of police officers means much?

I mean the easiest way to pull that apart is to point to sharks, ask you to do the same thing to sharks v shark attacks. Sure, sharks kill less people than bees yearly but does that mean sharks have less objective danger overall involved in interacting with them than bees?

Sir Codin

Are we really going to pretend that distilling incidents of reported police brutality by comparing number in incidents vs number of police officers means much?

I mean the easiest way to pull that apart is to point to sharks, ask you to do the same thing to sharks v shark attacks. Sure, sharks kill less people than bees yearly but does that mean sharks have less objective danger overall involved in interacting with them than bees?
    Depends on the species, how you interact with them, what your mannerisms are underwater, how you approach them, how much you are thrashing around, how murky the water is, if you have an active piece of electronic equipment on you, whether you have dead fish/dead fish smells on you, how much like a sea lion you make yourself look like, and how much of your blood is leaking out into the open ocean....

........sorry, marine bio was my college thing.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2018
    Depends on the species, how you interact with them, what your mannerisms are underwater, how you approach them, how much you are thrashing around, how murky the water is, if you have an active piece of electronic equipment on you, whether you have dead fish/dead fish smells on you, how much like a sea lion you make yourself look like, and how much of your blood is leaking out into the open ocean....

........sorry, marine bio was my college thing.

I know sharks don't at all deserve the bad rap they get culturally, but this is 1 Bee VS 1 Shark

Years
    I know sharks don't at all deserve the bad rap they get culturally, but this is 1 Bee VS 1 Shark
    Look, you can play around with it all you'd like, but the point I'm making isn't that bad things don't happen, it's that bad things do happen, but not that often, at least not as often as the media likes to play the trumpet of brutality. So yes, I am going to distill it down to numbers, as the statistics that were created were directly for demonizing an entire group of people based on 'cops are scary and here's why' without any scope or vision on the actual numbers. Fear mongering is what the media does it sells and it irritates me that people outside our country buy into it.

If you want to call all cops bad, fine. Just know that you're wrong and are adding to a problem that needs addressing. If a person here thinks that all cops are out to kill them, they will then behave as such. They will become irrational, not listen to commands and can wind up in a mess that they caused.

You also don't want to get into bees versus sharks. They hold absolutely no relation to each other and it is an extremely poor simile to police brutality, which I have already explained and narrowed down as negligible in the large scope of things, as you can see for yourself. How can I make that claim? Well, if you live in North Dakota or Ohio, your chances of being attacked or bitten by a shark are extremely minimal. No beach, no sharks right? Except for the rare instances of fresh water/salt water sharks in lakes, I'm pretty sure they aren't all too common in Montana or Tennessee.

Bees are everywhere. 3% of the entire human population is estimated to be allergic to bees and their stings. That is an increasingly large amount of people that have the potential to be stung and die from a bee sting than there are people swimming in the ocean right now. Not that bees and sharks aren't fascinating, but I think you can do better than that. No threat of sharks if you live in El Paso. Just something to think about.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
    Years
    The problem is that it's still happening more often than what society deems is appropriate, especially when a common factor in these cases often seems to be minorities. It's that simple. I don't give a fucking rats on how you've managed to abuse statistics/numbers to make it seem appropriate in your head., It's happening more often than we'd like and it needs to stop.

Last edited:

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    If Congress did not want him as they claimed they did, I just hope they make it as hard as they have for Obama in his 8 years of presidency. But for now, all we can do is play the waiting game.

Obama was also very inexperienced with political maneuvering being only a 1 term senator prior to his presidency. Since then, he has obviously improved.

If Obama had difficulty maneuvering politically, Trump definitely will because he has even less experience as a politician.

So it will be hard for Trump even with a Republican congress unless Pence can make up for Trump's lack of experience.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2018
    Obama was also very inexperienced with political maneuvering being only a 1 term senator prior to his presidency. Since then, he has obviously improved.

If Obama had difficulty maneuvering politically, Trump definitely will because he has even less experience as a politician.

So it will be hard for Trump even with a Republican congress unless Pence can make up for Trump's lack of experience.

The problem with that is Pence's agenda is pretty awful, and him making up for Trump's failings comes too close to shadow running the country for anyone to feel comfortable

Happy and at peace. :)
    Years
    The problem is that it's still happening more often than what society deems is appropriate, especially when a common factor in these cases often seems to be minorities. It's that simple. I don't give a fucking rats on how you've managed to abuse statistics/numbers to make it seem appropriate in your head., It's happening more often than we'd like and it needs to stop.
    Lol, you're from Nova Scotia. You literally don't live here, and so you have no say, simple as that. Don't care what you've read or think, you just don't have the experience, lol.

As JDJacket say, bad things do happen, but people buy into the media hype way too much. I've met plenty of cops, and only 2 or so have given me trouble. The rest have been fairly friendly, and it's not an "us vs. them" or "they hate minorities" or whatever. Cops are people, and like the rest of the populace, you'll have some who are inept, some aggressive, some kind, and so on. That's part of living in the world. Do I trust all cops? Nope, but I don't trust all people either.

Does it (attacks) happen more often then we like? Clearly, because we want it to never happen. But, that's not how it is, and you'll have some bad eggs. Anyone taking a few media cases as all cops are bad is silly.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen yesterday
    Lol, you're from Nova Scotia. You literally don't live here, and so you have no say, simple as that. Don't care what you've read or think, you just don't have the experience, lol.

As JDJacket say, bad things do happen, but people buy into the media hype way too much. I've met plenty of cops, and only 2 or so have given me trouble. The rest have been fairly friendly, and it's not an "us vs. them" or "they hate minorities" or whatever. Cops are people, and like the rest of the populace, you'll have some who are inept, some aggressive, some kind, and so on. That's part of living in the world. Do I trust all cops? Nope, but I don't trust all people either.

Does it (attacks) happen more often then we like? Clearly, because we want it to never happen. But, that's not how it is, and you'll have some bad eggs. Anyone taking a few media cases as all cops are bad is silly.

Nobody said all cops are bad please stop changing/making up statements to try and make your point hold water.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
    Years

American Politics affect the entire world, and American politics are the center of world news and discussion. I'm speaking as a human being living in the Western world, which, amazingly enough, generally has a societal standard across the board! Gun violence in America isn't some weird abstract concept that nobody can understand unless they're American-- But hey, apparently someone who has literally no knowledge except for listening to NRA propaganda has more of a say than me just because they're american, lol

I wish I could set standards like this lmao I'd just go around banning anybody from discussion who I think is a moron

anyway literally my entire family are cops (so miss me with assuming i think all cops are bad) but i can also recognize that hearing all these stories about innocent people being killed by police officers is very troubling! It seems to be becoming a regular occurence that I can turn on the news and hear about more police brutality and that it very obviously a problem.

Last edited:
    Years

That's incorrect. He was a political organizer in Chicago, that lobbied for equal housing, and directed the Illinois Project Vote in 1992, before he was an Illinois state senator in a majority-Republican state legislature, (That actually passed quite a few bills helping the poor, disadvantaged, etc.) so he's had to politically maneuver his entire 25+ year political career, at multiple levels of government, and arguably, he's had to do that for his entire life, being a black man from Hawaii with an absentee Kenyan exchange student father, white grandparents from Kansas and an Indonesian stepfather. He couldn't have become President in the first place if that wasn't the case.

Obama had difficulty because he was obstructed the entire time. Trump will have trouble because he's unfit and unqualified for the office. Not exactly an equivalence there.

Happy and at peace. :)
    Years
    American Politics affect the entire world, and American politics are the center of world news and discussion. I'm speaking as a human being living in the Western world, which, amazingly enough, generally has a societal standard across the board! Gun violence in America isn't some weird abstract concept that nobody can understand unless they're American-- But hey, apparently someone who has literally no knowledge except for listening to NRA propaganda has more of a say than me just because they're american, lol

I wish I could set standards like this lmao I'd just go around banning anybody from discussion who I think is a moron

anyway literally my entire family are cops (so miss me with assuming i think all cops are bad) but i can also recognize that hearing all these stories about innocent people being killed by police officers is very troubling! It seems to be becoming a regular occurence that I can turn on the news and hear about more police brutality and that it very obviously a problem.

But it I still not as bad as you think. The media simply portrays it as such.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back