• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A battle between an opponent and me (pls help!)

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
Years
  • I have a long awaited battle between me and a rival coming up at the end of this year. I have with me here both my pokemon party and hers... Please do give some advices! I can't afford to lose like I did last year!! ;_;

my party:
    Sceptile
    -Leaf Blade
    -Pursuit (I kept this for the sake of the 2nd elite four member)
    -False Swipe
    -Slam

Torkoal
    -Flamethrower
    -Amnesia
    -Body Slam
    -Heat Wave

Swellow
    -Agility
    -Fly
    -Aerial Ace
    -Double Team

Minun
    -Thunder
    -Charge
    -Spark
    -Agility

Breloom
    -Mach Punch
    -Mind Reader
    -Dynamic Punch
    -Sky Uppercut

Kyogre
    -Ice Beam
    -Water Spout
    -Hydro Pump
    -Double Edge

her party:
    (assume all her pokemon has learnt all the attacks)
    -Blaziken
    -Groudon
    -Rayquaza
    -Lanturn
    -Plusle
    -Rayquaza

Her top 3 most powerful pokemon can be defeated by Kyogre alone, but to fight all 3, Kyogre would be too worn out. I intend to use Swellow to fight Blaziken and use speed to my advantage. If Swellow can't defeat it, I'll send Kyogre out to use Water Spout to hopefully deliver a one-hit K.O. Sceptile is also very fast, so I think I will use that on Groudon to strike a first and strong move (most likely Leaf Blade) before it uses any fire attacks on Sceptile. I will try to save Kyogre for Rayquaza (ice beam attack). If worse comes to worst, I'd use Minun and take advantage of the rain that Kyogre summoned to use Thunder without fail. My strategy's not fully planned out yet, please do comment on it.. =D

CipherDakim12

Don't mess with this baby...
    Years
  • miyo said:
    I have a long awaited battle between me and a rival coming up at the end of this year. I have with me here both my pokemon party and hers... Please do give some advices! I can't afford to lose like I did last year!! ;_;

my party:
    Sceptile
    -Leaf Blade
    -Substitute
    -Dragon Claw/Thunderpunch
    -Leech Seed

No! False Swipe, Pusuit, and Slam all suck when it comes to Sceptile. The Sub-Leech Seed combo will work: defend, lose 1/4 HP, and heal it back. Give it Dragon Claw or Thunderpunch for another good move to take up a slot.

Torkoal
    -Flamethrower
    -Amnesia
    -Body Slam
    -Curse

Heat Wave is not needed if you have Flamethrower. Amnesia was definately a great idea to help the poor Special Defense of Torkoal. Curse makes Torkoal an awsome defender, and to nail Fire, Water, Rock, and Dragon-types with a good physical move.

Swellow
    -Agility
    -Return/Endeavor
    -Aerial Ace
    -Steel Wing

Aeriel Ace and Agility are both probably standard for Swellow. Return/Endeavor + STAB=big damage. Steel Wing will nail those bad Rock-types with something they weren't quite expecting.

Minun
    -Thunder
    -Charge
    -Spark
    -Agility

Not wasting a bit of time on Minun.

Breloom
    -Spore
    -Leech Seed
    -Rock Slide
    -Focus Punch

You killed Breloom! 3 Fighting moves?!? Dynamicpunch?!? You messed up the whole moveset. Take advantage of the fact that Breloom is a Grass-type so you can teach it Spore and Leech Seed. Focus Punch while the opponent's sleeping, and Rock Slide to even be able to hit Ghost-types and suprise those Flying-types.

Kyogre
    -Ice Beam
    -Thunder
    -Hydro Pump/Surf
    -Calm Mind

You can use Thunder here, considering rain makes it hit 100% of the time. You keep Hydro Pump if you want extra power. Calm Mind + Drizzle + STAB=no survival! Ice Beam to suprise Grass-types.

her party:
    (assume all her pokemon has learnt all the attacks)
    -Blaziken
    -Groudon
    -Rayquaza
    -Lanturn
    -Plusle
    -Rayquaza

Her top 3 most powerful pokemon can be defeated by Kyogre alone, but to fight all 3, Kyogre would be too worn out. I intend to use Swellow to fight Blaziken and use speed to my advantage. If Swellow can't defeat it, I'll send Kyogre out to use Water Spout to hopefully deliver a one-hit K.O. Sceptile is also very fast, so I think I will use that on Groudon to strike a first and strong move (most likely Leaf Blade) before it uses any fire attacks on Sceptile. I will try to save Kyogre for Rayquaza (ice beam attack). If worse comes to worst, I'd use Minun and take advantage of the rain that Kyogre summoned to use Thunder without fail. My strategy's not fully planned out yet, please do comment on it.. =D

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Last edited:

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
  • ~*^*~~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~~*^*~

Cipher suggested some standard sets, although some of them require you to get brand new Pokemon. For instance, Leech Seed is a bred-on move for Sceptile so you'll need to breed for a new Treecko. And Spore can only be learned by Shroomish, so you'll need to train another one of those.

Also, don't use Minun. It's the WORST Electric type in the game, even worse than Plusle since at least Plusle has better Sp. Attack. If you want a strong Pokemon that can Thunder, get a Zapdos, who can also help you against Blaziken with Drill Peck.

~*^*~~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~~*^*~

Fr0st

Random Crazy Person
    Years
  • You wanna beat your opponent easily? Ill tell u how, use swampert and do it like this

Swampert
    ~Surf/Hydro pump
    ~Ice beam
    ~Earthquake
    ~Rest

So you Earthquake your opponents Blaziken, Lanturn, and Plusle for a probable OHKO.
    Then you ice beam Rayquaza for a probable OHKO
    The you just Surf Groudon down to low health and either switch to kyogre/sceptile for the kill or rest and restart... Your opponent loses to swampert

Kataphraktoi

Prince
    Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2011
    What have you bet on your winning?

If you can get it, soul dew latios would add some serious firepower to your team. Put it in over plusle\minun\zapdos. Its much better than zapdos for special sweeping.

Latios@Soul Dew
    Thunder
    Recover
    Hidden Power Fire\Dragon Claw
    Ice Beam

Use dragon claw if you dont have hp fire.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Well, since no-one else has bothered to rate it. While I do agree that there are better alternatives for an electric type than Minun (Lanturn being a very good candidate), what I'd consider a good Minun would be something along the lines of;

Thunderbolt/Thunder/Seismic Toss
    Substitute
    Encore/Thunder Wave
    Baton Pass

Since you have Kyogre around to bring permanent rain, Thunder is an option over Thunderbolt. If it's a high enough level, you can also deal a fair amount of damage with Seismic Toss. For the rest of the moves, sub up, Encore your opponent onto some suitable move, and then pass on the Substitute to a stronger fighter. However, seeing as your opponent has some heavy-hitting pokémon like Rayquaza and Groudon on her team, you'll probably get overpowered pretty quick. So yes, I'd really suggest getting a stronger replacement. Similarly, a Breloom without Spore is...pretty sad, really. So maybe get something instead of that one as well.

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
  • a reply to iceblade:
    it would be impossible to get a swampert since I only have one version.. but I was thinking of replacing it with whiscash, which also has the same elements, and can also learn the attacks that you suggested. I suppose it'll be alright... o.o

a reply to cipher:
    I thought sceptile can't learn substitute?

but hey guys, thanks for all the great advices!! Really appreciated it! =D

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
  • or should I let Sceptile learn Earthquake as well? to surprise the fire types.. it's likely that sceptile would attack first due to its high speed..

CipherDakim12

Don't mess with this baby...
    Years
  • miyo said:
    a reply to iceblade:
    it would be impossible to get a swampert since I only have one version.. but I was thinking of replacing it with whiscash, which also has the same elements, and can also learn the attacks that you suggested. I suppose it'll be alright... o.o

a reply to cipher:
    I thought sceptile can't learn substitute?

but hey guys, thanks for all the great advices!! Really appreciated it! =D

Two things:
    -There is a thing called trading. Trade a Mudkip/Marshtomp/Swampert to your version if you want another starter. It isn't that hard.
    -There is a Substitute Move Tutor in Emerald, FireRed, and LeafGreen. Any Pokemon that can learn TM moves can learn Substitute.

Fr0st

Random Crazy Person
    Years
  • Aww... If u cant get swampert then 4get about it cause wiscash sucks but a great alternate for swampert could replacing torkoal with the almight Flygon. Fly gon gets STAB (same type attack bonus) from earthquake meaning it has 150 power (same as hyper beam) so you should use Flygons earthquakes to atake on lanturn blaziken and plusle who cant even touch it without getting OHKO. Then u bring out Kyogre and rape Groudon, and the rayquazas... but it will be hard because Rayquaza is so fast and can really hurt Kyogre. Getting a fast Special sweeper will really hurt him (Starmie)

Flygon
    ~Earthquake <<<<<Flygon must have earthquake so save it for him
    ~Fire Blast
    ~Rock slide(emerald tutor)
    ~Some filler

Starmie
    ~Ice beam (Kills rayquaza before taking one hit)
    ~Surf
    ~Thunderbolt
    ~Recover (Staryu learns it at level 42 iirc)

You should really consider Flygon and Starmie because they are fast and they can kill Blaziken, Lanturn, Plusle, Rayquaza with one hit before even being touched... then u need Kyogre to bring out the rain and aeither hit groudon with water attacks or switch to sceptile because his fire attacks wont hurt as amuch in the raina... good luck

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
  • ~*^*~~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~~*^*~

Yes, it's 50%. No one would use Flygon or Salamence or Swampert or any other mixed-type if STAB was only 25%.

~*^*~~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~~*^*~

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
  • it's a good thing I didn't waste Earthquake on Sceptile.. *phew* and I didn't know Starmie was that good either..

wow... you guys are really good at this XD
    learnt alot.. no, ALOT from this... Thanks!! =D

Back