• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] A couple of questions

~Wind~

Detective
    Years
    So, I have a couple queries that it would be nice to get some help with.

Firstly, a lot of hacks nowadays have various bells and whistles which have been common to expect from a modern hack - battle engine upgrades, Pokémon expansions, repel systems, reusable TMs, etc.
    How would one go about both getting a ROM to a good base with these features to begin working with - and for an existing hack how would one add some of these without creating conflicts with the edits that have already been made?

Secondly, there's a few hacks I'd like to make, but in order to actually complete something I want to work on one at a time, and in order to get the experience I need for the more ambitious ones I'd like to do them in an order which would be the best learning curve. If anyone could both suggest a good order to attempt them in and what resources might be needed for my goals it would be very helpful! I've put a small list in the spoiler below, in vaguely the order I currently expect would be easiest to hardest.

Spoiler:

I recognise this all may seem a bit ambitious but I'm not expecting to knock any of that out in a week, just to work on them in spare time over a long period with no pressure towards myself - very long term goals, essentially.

Finally, recommendations for some of the best current tools and such to use, as all the tutorials and guides I've found thus far are at this point a couple years outdated! ^^;

Many thanks to anyone who can offer some advice & pointers to places to get tools and info!

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2024
    For Fire Red, look into the Complete Fire Red Upgrade and Dynamic Pokémon Expansion. They're both very comprehensive and pretty user friendly once you start playing around with them a bit. Adds all moves and abilities, (even most of Gen VIII), as well as stuff ,ike dynamax and Mega Evo. It also adds most of its stuff dynamically so it has decent compatibility with in progress hacks.

Well worth a look for sure.

For Emerald (something I'm less familiar with), there's Dizzy Egg's Emerald Upgrade, which is much the same but for
    emerald as I understand it.

Good luck!

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Dec 24, 2023
    I agree with Mr.Taco above........but starting an hack with an cfru can be hard....maybe start simple (like using patches..... like Mr.Dollsteaks's or Prof leon dias's rom bases).....

Back