• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A few rambling opinions.

Flannery Lue

Soul Sister
Years
  • Okay, so I deliberated over the proper section for this, for a good while. I'm still not sure where I should post it, so... if a Moderator+ believes it's better off in another section, please move it.

---

I'm going to start out by saying that this is a rant of sorts. But at the same time, it's not. I wish to have insight, and people's thoughts added to my own.

The last Pokémon game I played was Pokémon White and Black version. I vowed to never touch another one after playing through them, because of the fake Pokémon. When I say "fake", I mean that they felt to me that Japan was grasping at straws whilst struggling to find ideas for new Pokémon. Now with that said, I still hear, and see things about the newer Generations. This strange wannabe 'Super Saiyan' thing called 'Mega Evolution' put the nail in the coffin for my decision to never play another.

I had always wished for Gamefreak to do a remake of the Hoenn games, and I was terribly distraught when Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire came after the new Unova, and Kalos region Pokemon. The Mega Evolution stuff, and the new Pokémon totally threw my desire for the remakes into the rubbish bin. Although despite all my dislike for these aspects, I can't help but feel a small spark of desire to play B&W2, and X&Y, as well as the two remakes.

I'm not going to ask for opinions on whether I should play them or not, because I already know I'll be told to give them a try. Regardless, I haven't owned a Handheld device of any kind since I got rid of my Nintendo DSi XL in like 2011, so it would be kinda impossible for me to play the games unless I bought myself a Nintendo DS; which I will not be doing. I don't know 'why' I dislike the new Pokemon stuff so much... I can try to come up with as many excuses as I want, but I just can't seem to figure out what my problem with it is.

The things I dislike:

• Fairy Type.
    • Mega Evolution.
    • All of the 'new' Pokémon that comes after the Sinnoh Region.

I've no problem with the regions, the stories, or anything else. I quite like those aspects; it's just the things I listed above that cause me to cringe in dismay.

Is there anyone else who has similar feelings? Or am I alone in this regard?

---

Here's a small bit of history, about a related thing:
    Back when I was maybe... ten years old (2001?), or so; I had Pokémon Gold, Silver, Crystal, Red, Blue, and Yellow. I was in love with the Johto Region, and my purple see-through Gameboy Colour was always in my hands. When Pokémon Ruby, and Sapphire came out, I scoffed at the weird looking new Pokémon, and I refused to even touch them. I felt that they looked really fake, and unlikable... untill one of my friends told me that I was in his game. I would have never touched Pokémon Ruby, if I hadn't found out about the Gym Leader who shared my name. That occurred in like... I want to say 2007, or 2006. It was after Pokémon Diamond, and Pearl were released.

The new Diamond, and Pearl games were just a further deterrent to my refusal to play the Hoenn region games. But, after I finally tried Ruby out, I fell in love with it, and I vowed to play the Sinnoh Region after I got my hands on a Nintendo DS. I never wanted one of those things, and I always had told everyone that it looked absolutely ridiculous. I was very happy with my Gameboy Advanced SP at the time. It bugged me that if I got a Nintendo DS, I couldn't play my Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, or Crystal, because it only accepted Advanced games.

And then that changed too, when I eventually got a Nintendo DS; it was a 'Lite' one. A year later I bought the DSi, and as soon as the DSi XL was released, I got one of those.

---

I was beyond slow when it came to accepting change, and I guess that fact still remains today. I don't like what I see, and hear, so I ignore it, and bash it when it's brought up... Maybe one day I'll eventually play the new games, and learn to like them too. *Insert Slowpoke Meme here* I bet when Pokémon Adamant, and Mithril version (Small edit: I guess Mithril does exist, as a Rom 'hack'. I just did a quick Google search.) are released in 2018, or something, I'll finally play X&Y, and I'll enjoy them with a silly smile on my face.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I could've written this myself, save for the part about liking Hoenn and Sinnoh (still never fully got into them) and not minding the new regions and stories as much as the Pokémon (it's quite the opposite with me).

You're clearly an older fan who's slow to accept change, and there's nothing wrong with that. There's also nothing wrong with admitting that you've just lost interest in the franchise, which has happened to many of us. I fully realize that it'll probably take something big like a Yellow remake to get me to go buy a 3DS and a new game, and I've accepted that.

If you want to try the new games, go ahead, but you don't have to. (Despite what others in this thread will probably tell you.)

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I can kinda relate to one aspect. I think the unova batch of pokemon were pretty bad when it comes to design, but I thought Kalos did a really good job of coming back from that.

I can understand where without playing the newest games mega evolutions and fairy types come off as stupid, but I do think you have to actually play them and see for yourself before coming to the conclusion that they're terrible. The great thing about Pokemon is it lets you basically choose what you want to use and what you want to ignore. Sure you're going to face trainers with fairy types and very, very few with mega evolutions, but you yourself don't have to use them at all. If you really want to experience Hoenn again you could easily play it without utilizing the mega stones or catching any fairy pokemon. Same goes for using any Pokemon made after Sinnoh, unless you play xy of course.

Flannery Lue

Soul Sister
    Years
  • It seems to me like you're mostly invested in the series for nostalgic reasons. Not that I can blame you, some of the new Pokémon aren't so great but I think they deserve a chance. I've been playing since Yellow version. It was my first ever but I'm glad to see more and more Pokémon. I don't have a problem with them being a little extra creative with the designs either. Not everything has to be an animal and that doesn't make them a fake at all.

As for Mega Evolutions...I like them. As I do with the Fairy type. The series can't rely on the same stuff forever or it would just be boring honestly. :(

Mmmm... Maybe. That feels like it would fit the bill, but I still feel like that isn't all of it.
    My first ever game was Red Version, with my fat grey Gameboy Original, and I have to admit; I liked Gold far better than I did Yellow, Red, or Blue. And once I tried Ruby, I liked that better than the previous ones. So I'm not sure that it's entirely nostalgic reasons, but yes; that's there too.

Well yeah, everything deserves a chance. I just haven't mustered up the 'want' to give it a chance. The first Black and White gave me enough doubt on the newer games, that I kinda feel reluctant to try any more. And no, the fact that they aren't an animal isn't why I see them as 'fake'. It's because of the overdone feeling of them, like they jumped from simplistic, and bold, to fine, and intricate. Like the new Pokémon are all frills, bells, and whistles with no actual substance. I don't honestly know how to explain it... like... they feel needlessly cluttered, and messy. Idk.

The Mega Evolution is so terrible in my eyes, because I feel like Gamefreak took Akira Toriyama's invention of 'Super Saiyan', and slapped the words 'Mega Evolution' on it. It feels like a cheap copy from another franchise, and I wish they had done something more original.

As for Fairy Types... well, that's mixed for me. There's multiple reasons. Firstly, it took them six generations to add a Pokémon type that should have been in Gen One; at Mount Moon outside Pewter City. Clefairy is quite literally a Fairy of the Moon. It always bugged me that it was a 'normal' type, when it obviously wasn't. Then there's the fact that they slapped the Fairy label on Pokémon that aren't even close to being a Fairy; Azumarill for example. How on earth is that a fairy? =/

If anything, Azumarill is Normal, and Water type, because it's a Water Rabbit. I could keep ranting about it, but I hope that you can see why I dislike it.
    I agree to an extent that Gamefreak can't rely on the same stuff forever, but I have to say that they most certainly can. They could cater to the people who have a specific interest in certain areas, and release altered versions of the new games, but without the new Pokémon. Instead, Gen one reboots, or say another Kyogre vs Groudon apocalypse; but in a new region, without Rayquaza there to step in. There are so many ways that Gamefreak could continue using the same stuff, and still capture everyone's attention.

I could've written this myself, save for the part about liking Hoenn and Sinnoh (still never fully got into them) and not minding the new regions and stories as much as the Pokémon (it's quite the opposite with me).

You're clearly an older fan who's slow to accept change, and there's nothing wrong with that. There's also nothing wrong with admitting that you've just lost interest in the franchise, which has happened to many of us. I fully realize that it'll probably take something big like a Yellow remake to get me to go buy a 3DS and a new game, and I've accepted that.

If you want to try the new games, go ahead, but you don't have to. (Despite what others in this thread will probably tell you.)

Yeah, I know from reading past debates when Mega Evolution was first announced, that there were a vast amount of people who despised the idea. Nowadays though, I'm unsure how far that number has dwindled, but I was sure that there were others who still held onto their dislike of some aspects. And yeah, I quite honestly haven't ever really... 'loved' every aspect of Hoenn, or Sinnoh.

I still don't like the Hoenn, or Sinnoh starters at all, and I always just stick it in the PC Storage, and search for a Poochyena to evolve into a Mightyena; or a Shinx to evolve into a Luxray if I'm in Sinnoh. I then use the respective one to train as my main Pokémon, and beat the Elite Four with them. I have a deep-seated dislike for the Sinnoh starters especially, as I do with a good majority of the Sinnoh Pokémon. They feel far too close to the Black, White, and beyond Pokémon's designs.

I haven't lost interest in the franchise at all. I still like Pokémon, and am still actively waiting for Nintendo to give up, and make a Pokémon MMO, despite the doubts, and 'excuses' they have given for not doing one. I feel like they will eventually do it one day, and I plan on being one of the first to laugh at all the naysayers who claimed it would never happen. <.<

With enough time, I will try them out. I'm a hypocrite through, and through. I won't deny that I dislike some aspects, but I can't lie and say that I wouldn't play the new games if someone plopped a 3DS, and Pokémon X into my lap.

I can kinda relate to one aspect. I think the unova batch of pokemon were pretty bad when it comes to design, but I thought Kalos did a really good job of coming back from that.

I can understand where without playing the newest games mega evolutions and fairy types come off as stupid, but I do think you have to actually play them and see for yourself before coming to the conclusion that they're terrible. The great thing about Pokemon is it lets you basically choose what you want to use and what you want to ignore. Sure you're going to face trainers with fairy types and very, very few with mega evolutions, but you yourself don't have to use them at all. If you really want to experience Hoenn again you could easily play it without utilizing the mega stones or catching any fairy pokemon. Same goes for using any Pokemon made after Sinnoh, unless you play xy of course.

Hmm. Well, I'll have to take your word for the Kalos region being better, as I can't see that.
    And no, they don't come across as 'stupid', or 'terrible' at all! o.O
    I'd like to ask you to re-read my opening post, and for further explanation; the two replies I've given to Achromatic, and BettyNewbie. I never once said, or even remotely implied that. Either you skimmed over my post, or you somehow dug up a hidden meaning from 'behind' my words that doesn't exist. I speak my mind bluntly, and to the point. My words can be taken at face value.

And yeah... I know I can ignore what I like, and don't like. That's not at all what I was getting at, and I clearly said that I'd eventually play the new games one day.
    I'm really sorry, but you seem to have totally misunderstood. =/

Years
  • I can easily see your problem, because I know several others who hated Fairy-types, Mega Evolutions and any Pokemon introduced after 3rd Gen yet I somehow love most of them. You are one of those players who wears nostalgia goggles and can't accept change very well, as the others pointed out.

I do not see anything bad with the designs of any of the starters and I would never box a starter permanently solely because it's "ugly" like what you think. I know how you feel about stuff like this because people think the designs of Pokemon have been getting "weirder" with each new generation but personally I don't let that get to me at all because I actually love most of the newer Pokemon. 5th Gen (aka Black/White/Black 2/White 2) is actually my fave generation as well!

I still think you should give newer games a chance, and who knows you might actually find a new Pokemon you'll end up loving. Fairy-type was actually a great addition because not only did it allow for new design potential but also made some Pokemon better than they were before, such as Clefairy and Marill. Mega Evolution also helped breathe new life into old Pokemon by giving them new abilities and stat changes, sometimes making them do a completely new strategy than what you'd usually see from them.

And as Achromatic said, if the series doesn't bring exciting new features in it'd get really boring wouldn't it?

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    And no, the fact that they aren't an animal isn't why I see them as 'fake'. It's because of the overdone feeling of them, like they jumped from simplistic, and bold, to fine, and intricate. Like the new Pokémon are all frills, bells, and whistles with no actual substance. I don't honestly know how to explain it... like... they feel needlessly cluttered, and messy. Idk.

I think advances in graphics can partially be blamed for that. Gen 1 and 2 Pokémon were originally designed to be displayed on a tiny Gameboy screen in 8-bit graphics, so they generally have simpler, more monochromatic designs. Gen 4 and 5 Pokémon, on the other hand, were designed to be displayed on a larger DS screen in full color, so they tend to have more complex, multicolored designs. (Gen 3 Pokémon are somewhere inbetween, more complex than Gen 1-2 but simpler than Gen 4-5.) This difference is very noticeable when later Pokémon are devamped into Gen 1-2 style sprites. They often look squished and lose a lot of detail and color.

The Mega Evolution is so terrible in my eyes, because I feel like Gamefreak took Akira Toriyama's invention of 'Super Saiyan', and slapped the words 'Mega Evolution' on it. It feels like a cheap copy from another franchise, and I wish they had done something more original.

As for Fairy Types... well, that's mixed for me. There's multiple reasons. Firstly, it took them six generations to add a Pokémon type that should have been in Gen One; at Mount Moon outside Pewter City. Clefairy is quite literally a Fairy of the Moon. It always bugged me that it was a 'normal' type, when it obviously wasn't. Then there's the fact that they slapped the Fairy label on Pokémon that aren't even close to being a Fairy; Azumarill for example. How on earth is that a fairy? =/

I think you can blame the competitive scene for Fairies and Megas. Dragon Types completely dominated Gen 4 and Gen 5 competitive and lacked good counters, hence the Fairy type. Fairies also happened to be weak to Poison and Steel, which were the two weakest offensive types before Gen 6.

As for Megas, they were a way to buff the stats of otherwise underpowered Pokémon who couldn't evolve anymore, like Charizard and Gardevoir. Again, not terribly relevant to Story Mode, but very useful in competitive.

And yeah, I quite honestly haven't ever really... 'loved' every aspect of Hoenn, or Sinnoh.

I still don't like the Hoenn, or Sinnoh starters at all, and I always just stick it in the PC Storage, and search for a Poochyena to evolve into a Mightyena; or a Shinx to evolve into a Luxray if I'm in Sinnoh. I then use the respective one to train as my main Pokémon, and beat the Elite Four with them. I have a deep-seated dislike for the Sinnoh starters especially, as I do with a good majority of the Sinnoh Pokémon. They feel far too close to the Black, White, and beyond Pokémon's designs.

Well, there's nothing wrong with that. You shouldn't have to use your starter if you don't want to, especially if you don't like any of them... Plus, it's kind of cool that you'll take Pokémon like Mightyena and Luxray to the Elite Four. :)

I haven't lost interest in the franchise at all. I still like Pokémon, and am still actively waiting for Nintendo to give up, and make a Pokémon MMO, despite the doubts, and 'excuses' they have given for not doing one. I feel like they will eventually do it one day, and I plan on being one of the first to laugh at all the naysayers who claimed it would never happen. <.<

Yeah, I don't think it'll ever happen, but you never know. A MMO might be a neat way to shake things up and break the formula of the main games.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Eh it kinda reminds me of the way I feel today towards some Gen 6 Pokemon and used to feel towards Gen 3 Pokemon. Like Gulpin; I used to dislike it. And then I saw how cute it could be in a lets play and I've been attached to it ever since. I don't think I'll ever like Diggersby though. Ever.

How the Pokemon is depicted can radically change how you perceive them. If it's just there, no background story or personality or anything like that, then it's hard to get attached to them. But if they have a personality or a unique trait that makes you feel endearment towards them, you can like them even if they're not part of a generation you're fond of. Pokemon Amie in general in particular is very good at showcasing a Pokemon's own personality and preferences, and shows how they would act towards being fed and loved, and that can make a Pokemon seem cute and endearing even if it usually appears vicious.

As for newer Pokemon not being appealing... well yeah some of them are like that. Sure Gourgeist, Hydreigon and Diancie are very good and appealing Pokemon, but then you have the aformentioned Diggersby, Zygarde, Garbodor, Klefki and others that just don't seem that well designed to some, and then there's Mega Evolution which.... doesn't make a lot of sense. Why does it last only for one turn, and why is it necessary for a Trainer to be involved? There's all kinds of problems there.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Hmm. Well, I'll have to take your word for the Kalos region being better, as I can't see that.
    And no, they don't come across as 'stupid', or 'terrible' at all! o.O
    I'd like to ask you to re-read my opening post, and for further explanation; the two replies I've given to Achromatic, and BettyNewbie. I never once said, or even remotely implied that. Either you skimmed over my post, or you somehow dug up a hidden meaning from 'behind' my words that doesn't exist. I speak my mind bluntly, and to the point. My words can be taken at face value.

And yeah... I know I can ignore what I like, and don't like. That's not at all what I was getting at, and I clearly said that I'd eventually play the new games one day.
    I'm really sorry, but you seem to have totally misunderstood. =/

sorry i didn't mean for you to take my post so literally. i know you didn't call them stupid or terrible i wasn't trying to imply that you did, that was poor wording on my part. you listed that you don't like fairy types, mega evolution, and the new pokemon and i was trying to say they can come off as basically poor additions

and yeah i read that you will eventually play them and im saying you really should because you may play and then come to enjoy the new additions. anyway your question was does anyone else have similar feelings and i stated i did when it comes to the unova pokemon.

Back