• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Final fantasy XIII Pokemon fusion game

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
I have an ambitious idea about fusing FInal Fantasy XIII up to Lightning Returns and Pokemon together. I am a huge fan of these specific FF games. Basically, the combat system will be inspired from FF XIII -- where it is half turn and real time. The highlight features:
  • Each pokemon can learn certain Paradigm Roles, depending on their learn sets (Paradigm roles)
    • E.g. Wobbuffet can only be SENTINEL -- its job is to protect themselves and allies, as they draw attention of enemies from its teammates.
  • Your Pokemon in double or triple battle are AI controlled. They can be optionally customized to tailor your battle style and various scenarios.
  • The development system may be different
    • A pokemon with an assigned role will have its own unique level system.
These are just the surface ideas. I am happy to discuss more in-depth info!
1713477179133.png
1713477239127.png

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Most of what I know about the mechanics of FF XIII battle system is what got translated into Dissidia, and also the fact that at its foundation the Paradigm system is a steplock ATB + real-time where different options target different "phase gauges". In the case of FF we have the HP bar and the Stagger gauge.

How would you implement something similar in Pokémon? Where we mostly only have the HP bar and damages per attack tend to be too high to give a fight the time to shift into attacking a different gauge before the target is down. For consideration: it took to PLA before we could have a "multiple phase" boss, and even then it's a of-sorts thing.

In a Pokémon fight it is mostly normal to have normal targets down in 3 to 5 turns depending on stuff like STAB availability (the way I'm feeling, no Paradigm is going to save a Parasect from a Charizard, unless your Paradigm idea also involves effecting the type chart).

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
Most of what I know about the mechanics of FF XIII battle system is what got translated into Dissidia, and also the fact that at its foundation the Paradigm system is a steplock ATB + real-time where different options target different "phase gauges". In the case of FF we have the HP bar and the Stagger gauge.

How would you implement something similar in Pokémon? Where we mostly only have the HP bar and damages per attack tend to be too high to give a fight the time to shift into attacking a different gauge before the target is down. For consideration: it took to PLA before we could have a "multiple phase" boss, and even then it's a of-sorts thing.

In a Pokémon fight it is mostly normal to have normal targets down in 3 to 5 turns depending on stuff like STAB availability (the way I'm feeling, no Paradigm is going to save a Parasect from a Charizard, unless your Paradigm idea also involves effecting the type chart).
We first and foremost multiple Pokemon HP and their BST stats to prolong the battle. I have no idea for Stagger. I may or may not use it... who knows.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Remember that extending the HP bar necessitates recalculating or rebuilding the mechanics of 1.- fixed damage moves and 2.- status ailments. Since stuff like Toxic or Confusion could dominate a system where resiliency is multiplied but status still deals damage on a percent of *total* HP. If it were my design I'd take one of two paths:

a) Rather than extend the one HP bar, implement multiple HP bars and phases instead, as is standard for Final Fantasy anyway, so that status ailments and percent damage can't dominate a *full* fight. That way each phase could have eg.: different Status vulnerabilities, giving more potential variances to a fight (eg.: you could bring in Toxic to breeze through a complex phase where the Boss is vulnerable to it, but it won't be useful in the next phase where the Boss is poison immune).
b) scale percent damage, fixed damage and status ailments depending on the type of fight. On a normal fight for example they'd function closer to mainline, whereas for a Boss Battle status and percent would have lower damage thresholds / shorter duration, whereas fixed damage could have a higher threshold but reset to normal or zero after (X amount of) used. This can be even further scaled for Superboss Battles.

Back