• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: a good ol' fashioned DCC!

stringzzz

Banned
    Years
    And it's funny (not LITERALLY funny) that they tell you there's 'no way' humans could be responsible for the world shifting as much as it has. Go and check me on the facts here, but if you take a small, invasive species, and you drop a few of them in an ecosystem that they don't belong in, they will end up pretty much trashing that ecosystem beyond repair likely in just a handful of years. That's one particular species, humans are far more capable of doing damage than that. It seems either the Earth will 'repair' itself by wiping us out, or we will learn to fix our mistakes (hopefully) in time. Either way, a natural system has ways of restoring itself back into a balance, and it might get rid of us in order to do so.

Sorry, </rant>, lol.

stringzzz

Banned
    Years
    In one thread somewhere (Can't remember) I saw a post by my old username from over 4 years ago, that was kind of a trip seeing that. :X
    My avatar from then had subliminal messages in it, see if you can spot them:
    Spoiler:

:P

And as for the above, I don't think I'm misanthropic, I don't hate humanity, I just think we (myself included) are being kind of foolish in how we treat this world. I think it really deserves better respect, but things like the giant garbage patches in the ocean are pretty sad. Maybe I'm just idealist, but I do have hope that humanity will get better at taking care of this planet. I hope...

Last edited:
    Years
    The garbage patches honestly anger me. I'm not even sure if anything's being done but it seems like a bit too big a task now.
    I agree, I do my best, at least.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Climate change still seems to be a political thing? At least in my country they keep talking about how the government still needs to sell the policies they want to introduce to the public or else people stop caring. Doesn't help when one third of the governing parties consist of neoliberal idiots playing opposition who really love oil fuelled cars, personal responsibility and really hate taxes for the rich. <_<
    In one thread somewhere (Can't remember) I saw a post by my old username from over 4 years ago, that was kind of a trip seeing that. :X
    My avatar from then had subliminal messages in it, see if you can spot them:
    I had to see that avatar before going all "oh, I remember you!" xD

stringzzz

Banned
    Years
    Kind of shifting topics but... Sometimes I wonder about the real level of intelligence of animals. We can only talk to them to some degree, but it seems we can't really see eye to eye with them exactly. Does anyone else think animals are more intelligent than people generally give them credit for?

Years
    There a lot of intelligent animal species on this planet that I believe we have reason to admire. Just because they communicate in different ways from us doesn't mean it's not also complex communication.

Look at for instance cetaceans. Dolphins don't have vocal cords to talk, they use body language, touch and different pitched clicks, but still demonstrate language comprehension. When taught a language based on whistles or hand gestures they understood what the signals meant, and that the order had meaning, making distinctions between a message saying bring the ball to the hoop for example vs bring the hoop to the ball. They process main elements that are in human language, symbols standing for objects and actions, and a syntax structure.

Groups of orca whales are said to use different dialects of sound, with mothers passing down their own unique dialect to their young over generations. Orcas who leave the family will learn the sounds of another group of orca. Scientists know of several thousands of unique sounds orcas say during conversation so far. They also appear to display cross-species learning to communicate with other marine life. If they are with dolphins for example they will alter their calls, and make fewer of the pulsed sounds they are known for and start making more clicks.

Aliens visiting planet Earth might observe dolphins and orcas and their other relatives like belugas, and think that the way that they use echolocation to navigate, hunt and protect themselves is more sophisticated than the way we process information. They project sound forward into the water, bounce it off objects, and interpret the echo of the sound waves to determine shapes, size, speed and direction, even an object's internal structure. It's been compared to having a sixth sense, and being able to receive and transmit holographic mental images by manipulating sound. Beluga whales can even change the shape of the melon in their head that focuses echolocation signals to refine the frequencies.

Last edited:
    Years
    Apes use sticks to dig the insects out of trees! And use them like a utensil.

Personally, I wonder if I meow at my cat, does he understand?

stringzzz

Banned
    Years
    Personally, I wonder if I meow at my cat, does he understand?

I've wondered the same thing, especially when they respond by meowing back. On that note, I believe strongly that cats can feel empathy. Besides that they seem to tend to hang around me more if I'm in a kind of downer mood, there was one recent incident that really surprised me. One of our cats, Sashi, was sick, and it was about a week or two before she passed away. She was sitting in front of the portable heater, as she always did. Our other cat, Nacho, suddenly walked up to her with a toy in his mouth, and dropped it right in front of her. He just stopped and kind of looked at her, then walked away. Now, Sashi really didn't like any of our other cats, to the point that they all just avoided her. So for Nacho to leave her a toy like this when she was clearly sick, it really seemed like he was trying to make her feel better. I've never seen a cat do something like that for another cat, and so I really think they can feel empathy.

Years
    Oh cats definitely do. Mine join me in bed when I'm sick, or will approach me when I'm upset.
    They've been doing the same with mom since she broke her foot.

stringzzz

Banned
    Years
    That Summer heat is finally moving in where I live. Saw that it will be 100+ °F this weekend. Unfortunately, there's work around the outside of the house I will need to be doing this weekend, not really looking forward to that too much.

For others on here, what are the typical high temps you get during the Summer where you live?

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    It seems like Twitter now requires you to have an account if you want to access anything on the side? Quite a shame, really...
    I'm not going to create one, though!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    It seems like Twitter now requires you to have an account if you want to access anything on the side? Quite a shame, really...
    I'm not going to create one, though!
    It seems that places where you can embed a Twitter post into a post (like Discord) will at least partially show the tweet, but seeing more than that and/or viewing the tweet on Twitter+any comments seems unavailable unless you have an account. I'm not surprised given that Elon Musk is such an idiot that he has somehow managed to make a blunder roughly every other week in regards to Twitter (like ffs I could do a little better than him and it's not like I'm the zenith of intelligence either), though it is a bit annoying.
    and I'm still not making an account, too =)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    When will he finally make someone else CEO?
    He did hire someone else to be CEO the other day, but since he's still the owner and CTO of Twitter he still has a lot of power over decisions and stuff

Years
    That's true. There was a big fiasco the other day too.

EDIT: Rumors abound, but many say he tried to cover up the servers DDOSing themselves.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    clearly it is time for some new internet fad/kind of platform to appear and revolutionize us :eyes:
    how about we use forums, they're pretty great

Back