• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Hacker's Motivation

Dabutcha

Creator of the Alphanigma Saga
Years
  • The small, shredded hope that Gameboy hacking isnt quite dead yet. And that I can make some tools for it and help those people who hack gameboy roms. I really wish it was more popular cuz there are no tools...

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Motivation, motivation... I generally hack for my own pride. I hack to say, "Look what cool crap I did with this!" and then go outside or something.

It's also nice to have a good group of friends (both IRL and here on PC) that support what you do and keep you working at it.

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
    Years
  • What motivates you to hack and why do you do it?

I cant stick with hacking, there will be times that its really fun but then I start losing interest in it and there goes my motivation.

So tell me, what do you do to keep interest in hacking?

As of you, I have lost interest in hacking as well.... At the time, what motivated me in hacking was learning how to do this and that and all of the people I would meet. Being on a hacking team really motivated me awhile to do my best for my peers. (for example working on silver ice with you was a blast!) Eventually, venturing out on my own was my downfall because I had no one to support or be supported by. Occasionally I have an urge to ROM hack and I honestly really want to get back into it. I remember when working on Emerald Thunder, I got HOTM clearly on the tiles I had used. That clearly brought my view on ROM hacking down because it wasn't meant to be skin deep.

Alignment

Revered with the stars
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    As of you, I have lost interest in hacking as well.... At the time, what motivated me in hacking was learning how to do this and that and all of the people I would meet. Being on a hacking team really motivated me awhile to do my best for my peers. (for example working on silver ice with you was a blast!) Eventually, venturing out on my own was my downfall because I had no one to support or be supported by. Occasionally I have an urge to ROM hack and I honestly really want to get back into it. I remember when working on Emerald Thunder, I got HOTM clearly on the tiles I had used. That clearly brought my view on ROM hacking down because it wasn't meant to be skin deep.

I'm sorry to hear that D:
    Maybe I can help?
    I'll try my best to be a good motivator for pll like you :)

I get motivated to rom hack cause its really fun nothing in particular just the entire idea that its possible i guess :D

Darkest Shade of Light

Pokémon Midnight Sun
    Years
  • I get my motivation for ROM hacking from the sense of giving other something to play, having ppl enjoy my work, and actually notice the problems with it, and care enough to tell me so I can fix it for everyone. Plus, when you get part of a game done, and you have a new event or something that goes perfect, it feels great to have accomplished something!

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    When I first joined here it was the thrill of learning something new. Unlike most people I never really had a desire to create my own Pokemon game, for the most part I didn't have any problems with the original Pokemon games and I didn't really think they needed improvement (which seems really foolish now). I started Genesis as a creative outlet, I was never great at things like music or art, but I always enjoyed things like programming and engineering. I think it has something to do with the 'safety' of having so many restrictions in ROM hacking that made it so appealing to me.

Nowadays however the one thing that motivates me is the idea of finally being done with Genesis and leaving this (very enjoyable) part of my life behind.

Coolboyman

Veteran Hacker
    Years
  • I work on Prism when I feel like it, I don't work on it when I don't feel like it. I once went six months without doing a single thing on Prism because I didn't feel like it. If you force yourself to ROM hack and you're not enjoying it, the outcome is usually going to suck. I dunno what my motivation is, it comes and goes for no reason...

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • I work on Prism when I feel like it, I don't work on it when I don't feel like it. I once went six months without doing a single thing on Prism because I didn't feel like it. If you force yourself to ROM hack and you're not enjoying it, the outcome is usually going to suck. I dunno what my motivation is, it comes and goes for no reason...

My sentiments exactly.

You hack if you feel like it and don't do it when you don't. Hacking isn't going to get you anything besides enjoyment, so why do it when you don't feel like it?

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • Well, my motivation currently is to unfold the plot. I started a new hack and it feels great to solo everything with a slowpoke pace. Many hackers lose motivation either because they get turned down (which means they were not hacking as a hobby-and you know what that means) and well, others found better things to do.

If you view hacking as something personal, non-competitive, you usually get motivated more.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Well, I usually get motivated when I see other people hack or see their hacks.
    It makes me want to hack and do something far better. And playing betas also help alot too xD.

Matteron (96)

Can't Read Lookin Ass
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2024
    I get motivated from other hackers, from the fact that maybe, people will enjoy the hack and will give me the satisfaction of knowing that, and also, I get the need to perfect the hack to please the audience

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2015
    i got motivation where i see the others ROMs and when i make scripts (is strange but make scripts a saw it working make me happy xD).

in my mind i dream with another world of pokemons and another history (my history), so i never forget that dream

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    i got motivation where i see the others ROMs and when i make scripts (is strange but make scripts a saw it working make me happy xD).

in my mind i dream with another world of pokemons and another history (my history), so i never forget that dream

lol, seeing my huge huge huge huge hugee....scripts always make me happy :D.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • I usually gather some from playing my favourite hacks, watching Glee and browsing the Game Development section.

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • I saw Naranja, darkblue, and genesis. After that I was determined to make a hack. I am, by the way making one, but I've decided not to post it yet.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • To be perfectly honest, I have no idea at all.

If I did, that'd be nice, but I don't. I just know that I do have motivation sometimes and other times, none at all.

Overdrive64

Deluxe Trainer Extraordinare
    Years
  • I have to agree with Matteron on this one. That feeling that someone, just one person, is enjoying themselves thanks to your creation... that's motivation.

Back