• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A moderator thinks they might want to quit.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • As a person who had this decision myself back in the day, I think the moderator would need to evaluate oneself as to why they want to step down as a moderator. Rather than imposing our own selfish needs, we should help them figure out the truth to the matter and help enlighten them so they can discover the truth for themselves. By finding the root of the cause, the person can look at it step by step and ask themselves "okay, if I take this step will it give me more time to handle this?" I believe staying neutral is key in this matter, as you want them to come to a conclusion independently.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • 2009 Me would've gone for it. Try to persuade the gurl to step down ngl.

But I've been there on staff, done that. :p I'd hear the gurl out - If I feel that, yes, they really should prioritize a specific goal of theirs in real life over everything else, I'd tell them what I feel. Although honestly? Life's more important. No matter how fun PC is. But it is upto them and I wouldn't care about whether or not I'm a candidate. I just don't...really feel like it is a big deal anymore. But yeah, bottom line - I'd tell them what I feel about it depending on their status and circumstances. And I'm doing it only if he/she asks me personally. Probably wouldn't do it if they didn't ask me to do it. Like, in a PM or something.

Then again, why would this happen in the first place? Lol weird scenario.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • Depends on the person. I'd probably say something like "I don't think you should quit, unless you absolutely feel that you must; however, if you can't take the job with the full responsibility that comes with it, then yeah, quit."

I'd then wait to see if my name is actually a replacement. In the past, I've always been one of those names, but the other person normally got picked first >:(. And then I would wait a little. People seem to like me as a moderator, so I wouldn't take too much stress to it. A lot of these sections have a way that they are run based on the moderator, and it's easy to tell what's appropriate and what isn't. I'd just carry on the legacy.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Hi clearly you're new my name's Andy, welcome to PokeCommunity!

Ha, so true. Seriously though, it's the weirdest thing, why is being a mod is so desirable? I guess maybe it's like the PC "We think you're a good enough member that we trust you with a whole section" stamp of approval?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Well, in such a situation I'd feel obliged to try and talk them into staying because if I did the opposite I would feel like a dick forever.

@ Sopheria, it's great fun being a mod, you know. Enslaving the admins, moving threads... Great fun, moving threads. Or changing thread titles. Um, what else do we do? I forgot.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • I think that if you want to be a mod, advising someone else to leave so you can have his/her job is not the right way to go about it.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    thinly veiled "how selfish are you" thread? I want to know what inspired this lol

I would try to give advice and listen to my friend same as any other problem.

As for myself, it plays no part in it. I wouldn't even accept being a mod.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I'd feel a little wrong trying to convince someone to stay, if they want to leave. v o v

At the same time, if they were a really good mod, were good for the community, and I knew they actually really cared about the forum, I'd suggest that they take a DLoA and then hopefully come back around. Doesn't matter if I might be a good mod for the same area.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
  • It definitely would be about what their reason was for leaving. Real life comes first as always so it's no use trying to keep them to stay if they are too busy for this place anymore.

If they were doing a poor job, I'd be kinda glad they were leaving, no matter if I would become a mod after or not. I wouldn't say anything mean though, obviously. If they were doing a good job I'd be disappointed but I'd also know that it's better for them if they would leave and that's the most important thing.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • It honestly depends on the situation. I'm not talking about their performance as a moderator as much as how they stand on actually wanting to be a moderator. If it's something they've been thinking about for a long time, or if they just don't appear to enjoy being a moderator/a staff member in general anymore, then I wouldn't really try hard to get them to stay, since then it'd probably be better for them to actually quit. Of course I hate seeing moderators leave their positions, but I also love seeing new people joining the staff team, so I honestly feel like it works out for the best in those cases D:

But if it comes completely out of nowhere, I'm probably more inclined to suggest a DLoA to just get away from it for a short while, but eh, it really depends on who and why :p

But yeahh, no, I wouldn't try to get someone to leave in an attempt to take over the moderator position of the forum. Since when do people post blogs about them planning on quitting anyways :o

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
    Years
  • I really don't think I would consider myself a good shot so I'll ignore that part of the post.

That being said if I honestly dislike the moderator enough, yeah, I'll convince them to leave because a) They can get on with their life b) There will probably be a better moderator in their stead.

Years
  • If a mod that I know is doing an amazing job is wondering if they want to leave staff, I'd convince the mod to stick around and continue their work. The only time I'd really let the mod resign is if real life takes them over and they have to focus on that.

I'd never convince a mod to leave just to take their position. That would be dumb because I look up to the staff team as helpful. If I was a mod, I'd probably do my best to keep my section active, and I'd probably not want to quit for a long time unless if I had major issues in real life that would force me to.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • Umm, by why would this happen I meant 'why would they ask in public/me for it'. Me being an ex-mod who had to resign due to life I'm very well aware of that what you're saying haha.

Back