• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Talk] A part of you!

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen yesterday
    Recently, I asked for examples of you using roleplay as some sort of medium for wish fulfillment. I do it very often myself and I see it as a valid way to approach this whole thing. But... let's turn that around a bit.

What would be the best example, a post, a character you made, a setting, that is connected to who you are already? For example, are there any traits that you have, and then have given your player characters? Any experience of yours that you made them go through? Something that really makes you connect with roleplaying in that more personal way? No need to be specific of course, but feel free to share any such connections. I for one have to say that they've made roleplaying more interesting for me, they've allowed to get to know myself better, and I couldn't really do much with a character if they didn't share at least something with myself ♥

Years
  • It's hard for me to answer this one because part of the point for me is to explore the minds and experiences of people who exist in a different place than I do. My connection to what I'm doing comes entirely from a love of storytelling and the enjoyment of exploring those different experiences and headspaces rather than from any connection I feel to those experiences.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Unbound
    Years
  • My rp characters, Typically share my irl first name, And they usually share a lot of personality traits with me, too. Intelligence, being an angsty human being, kind, with a relatively short fuse

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • When it comes to character building I'm sort of like a mad scientist mixing chemicals together, only the cartoon explosion is the intended result instead of an accident. Usually I'll start with either a pre-defined character or an archetype and then I'll start injecting either parts of myself, experiences, or random ideas I think are interesting into it and sort of thinking through how that changes the base concept until I hit something I can fixate upon; where the fun factor just explodes and the muse starts flowing. Then I hyperfixate on that and build the rest of the character around that until I'm finished.

I think the easiest way to trace those characters back to me would be through humor. It would be very difficult to look at them and identify which experiences come from the author and which are just imagined up unless you're me and remember the original intent, since they all blend together to form something unique from myself. But my humor always bleeds through. It's something I can't help. I have a particular style and a limited range from which to deviate from it before I'm a fish out of water. I also play very expressive characters, and I'm a very expressive person. But I think that might just be a coincidence because they're not typically expressive in the exact same way I am.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I find that I can't really make characters with different core values than my own. One current DnD char, a tabaxi warlock, was meant to be different and a "worse" person than chars I usually make but I honestly haven't been able to play her as I really had planned; she's turned out to be pretty reliable and good hearted after all -.- I just can't seem to be able to play characters that go against what I feel is Right, similarly to how I find it difficult and unsatisfying to play "evil" paths in rpg video games. It doesn't necessarily mean that I'm a super good person myself, but perhaps that I want to be.

Years
  • There is a part of me in my character. Mixed with what inspired me to create her, and some different traits to make here more interesting for other people and for me! ^^

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
    Years
  • I actually always put something of myself in my characters. Sometimes it's just one trait, sometimes just a Colour. I can describe them actually c:

Pia (Spear): Love for Fairy types and her caring nature.
    Kiara (SW5E): Pink lightsabers. Literally only that 😂 I think Someone could argue our sizes.
    Faye Aubrey (Atria): Only the first name. There is a story behind the name that I'll not share publicly but she will receive a nickname or namechange that she'll go by henceforth because it's gotten a little uncomfortable x"D
    Miyuki (Hisui): Love for her siblings
    Anastasia (Long Drive): She was once bullied because a fanfic she made went through the entire school. That is a situation that happened to me actually lol. I made a Kingdom Hearts fanfic and was severely bullied for it haha. She also has a similar occupation as me and pink hair but nothing else beyond that.
    Liz (Elizabeth Jasher - DnD) - Love for fire and destruction x'D
    Aerin (DnD): Airhead

I have a few other characters that I gave bits and pieces of my own past or a character trait but the above list are the characters that came to mind that I'm playing c:

Back