• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adblockers

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I don't think Youtube is a good example for a company loosing out on money, because
    1. Youtube is a service provided by Google, who has tons of cash
    2. Youtube has gotten to big to simply vanish and letting it stay creates more profit (and popularity) than removing it

By providing paid subscriptions they are not compensating for adblock users, they are closing a hole in the internet market, a way to gain money which was there, but went ignored for many years.

The people who lose out on money are the ones who upload and monetarize content on Youtube, that's true. It's just that contenters with a small amount of viewers don't get much money anyways.
    Those with a lot of viewers, though, there's a chance that their community starts to become some kind of fanatics who treat Adblock users as some kind of evil monsters that have to be removed from the surface of earth.

Where I was going with that: If Youtube dies, it's not because of Adblock users; there will always be those who don't use it.

I use Adblock, because the internet is a hugh garbage dump. There's just too much stuff transferred through http/s that you don't want and that just eats up your bandwidth. As someone whose internet connection is really bad and who has been using a defect router, who likes to die while loading the PC main page, for a couple of months now (thanks ISP for prioritizing new customers over those that have been customers for a couple of years now!), I'd like that little bandwidth to be used to load a little bit more of a video, rather than the ad, which after the router rebooting and the page reloading, gets reloaded too. That way I can finish a 20min in (hopefully) under 2 hours (true story). But even with a working router I'd use Adblock.

Years
  • My view on adblock is really hypocritic. I don't like the fact that adblocks steals money from people who use it to run a site or make videos (some of them even for living). However i still use it because of the ads that can pop up, mainly sexual content(that still shows up even if i have it disabled in ad settings), and then there are ads that install viruses by just clicking on them. I turn off adblock to refresh a site i want to get money from it, but otherwise i always have it turned on.

If ads that give viruses go away(aka 99% of ads) then i might consider unistalling adblock. But it probably won't happen.

I don't mind ads that open in background, or banners and side ads, but pop ups that when you click something else open and then act as if you clicked them to open something else to install a virus? Main reason i use adblock. And i hate these ads that stop a video to play a minute ad and then resume a video you are watching, so annoying.

H.Lecter

Two-dimensional
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2015
    It also simplay is not true that Youtube earns the important share of it's income with ads. Furthermore Google tracks down the browsing habbits of it's users (therefore their connect their services to have a better profile of everyone of it's users) and sells it to companys and also to things like the NSA etc.

I also block ads with Adblock Edge (because I heard some bad stuff about ABP, if you want to know it just search for it) and user other things like Ghostery. If i surf on private websites I like and I want to support I allow ads for this website.

Years
  • I can't say I've ever used any sort of adblocker. Friends have tried to get me to use it in the past, but I always feel bad for the site, or YouTuber, or whoever the ad revenue is going to. The ads are there for a reason, and if everyone used adblocker then there's a good chance the site wouldn't be able to keep going. I've heard you can choose which sites to use adblocker on, so... if I ever were to use one (which I kind of doubt), I'd choose carefully which sites I think need that revenue.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • We all can't live without adblock because ads slow down our browsing and on occasion these ads contain viruses ready to download. D: Running Adblock Plus right now and it is greeeeeeeat.

Years
  • I actually feel a bit unsafe if I use a browser without an adblocker by now. :(

I'll turn mine off if a site needs revenue from ads and I know the site is most likely safe from malicious things. Otherwise, nope...I have little trust in ads in general that I'd rather keep the adblocker on by default and make sure things are safe for me.

Years
  • I have an adblocker as well, and it does make me feel safer from viruses and malware. I turn my adblocker off on websites that I truly do support to show that I care for them and their revenue.

Years
  • Some sites have Safari ask me if I want to block ads and I do use them, but there are some sites where adblockers don't feel very effective to me. They're annoying when ads come up but I mostly have to just drop them out.

Back