• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Age limits on tournaments

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
    As far as I know, the age limit for official Pokemon tournaments (ie. eligibility for championships) is 14. I reckon this is pretty stupid: after all, there are so many people over 14 who love Pokemon and playing the TCG. And think about it: when Pokemon first came out, it was something like, what, 8 years ago? Now, those 9- and 10-year-olds who played Pokemon then would be 17 and 18. They might still like Pokemon. They might have all their old cards still. But they're not allowed to participate in official tournaments! I think we should start a petition to have another age group or two - maybe 15-18 and 19+. What do you think?

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Oct 24, 2005
    Those age restrictions were under Wizards of the Coast. Nintendo has taken over production, distribution, and organized play of Pokemon TCG, renamed it "Pokemon-e TCG" and have reinstated the 15+ as an age group. This age group will get its own World Championships at Worlds in Florida this August, as will the 10- and 11-14.

Latios Master

11 Year PC Member
    Years
    Bullados said:
    Those age restrictions were under Wizards of the Coast. Nintendo has taken over production, distribution, and organized play of Pokemon TCG, renamed it "Pokemon-e TCG" and have reinstated the 15+ as an age group. This age group will get its own World Championships at Worlds in Florida this August, as will the 10- and 11-14.
    That's good. I'm 16 and I might want to play in a tournament sometime. I should get working on a better deck though...
    I have a question though. How do the prize cards go? Does the other player take the other person's and keep them or what? I sure hope not. I would lose all my cards then...

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Oct 24, 2005
    I only wish. Prizes are usually determined by the amount of money that you pay to enter the tournament (although, there are some tournaments that are free for good prizes...)

Kairyu

speedy digital tablet artist
    Years
    Jedi_Amara said:
    And think about it: when Pokemon first came out, it was something like, what, 8 years ago? Now, those 9- and 10-year-olds who played Pokemon then would be 17 and 18. They might still like Pokemon. They might have all their old cards still. But they're not allowed to participate in official tournaments!
    lol, and I would be one of them. At least nintendo took over and made a age group for us "old guys" XD.

Latios Master said:
    I have a question though. How do the prize cards go? Does the other player take the other person's and keep them or what? I sure hope not. I would lose all my cards then...
    No, when the opponent defeats one of your pokemon, unless otherwise stated they get to draw one of their prize cards and place it in their hand. That goes for you too. In a tournament evironment people usually do not play for keeps as it is considered gambling.

Back