• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Alola Forms

blue

gucci
Years
  • Alolan Forms

Alola Forms (or regional variants) have been revealed!

Some Pokémon have adapted to the distinctive microclimates of the Alola region, taking on different forms than they have in other regions. These Pokémon are called regional variants. Taking root in the Alola region, they live like native Pokémon. Regional variant Pokémon can have different appearances and types, and their ways of living can also differ from that of the forms previously known.

*Below is a list of all the Alolan Pokémon revealed so far:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • It's awesome so far! I like how now they made a new type of variation. I do wonder, however, if normal forms will be available in the game, too.

Btw Alola Exeggutor is the funniest thing ever.

Alola Sandshrew and Sandslash are my favorites so far.

Sirfetch’d

I assume Alola formes are this gen's "mega evolution". I wonder if they will have an expanded movepool or if it will just alter like Rotom formes. I am still quite hyped regardless. This is such a good addition to the games and something that I did not see coming. The Ninetales has me screaming it's so adorable.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I assume Alola formes are this gen's "mega evolution". I wonder if they will have an expanded movepool or if it will just alter like Rotom formes. I am still quite hyped regardless. This is such a good addition to the games and something that I did not see coming. The Ninetales has me screaming it's so adorable.

Actually I'm getting the impression that these Pokemon are just caught like this. It sounds like they've developed different on Alola for whatever reason.

stzy

the battlefield got weird.
    Years
  • I didn't like the idea until I saw the video, tbh. I think it's pretty cool as long as there's not many Pokemon like this. And can we still use regular forms? I'm sure we can... we have to. Anyway I'm down for this. It seems to me like having albino pokemon (more than shinies).

The typings seem a little odd, though. I feel like they're just trying to balance out the new Fairy type even more... that could be why all these types seem to revolve around Fairy, Steel, Ice or Dragon. I haven't been keeping up to date with Sun and Moon though so I'm really just talking out of my ass.

Years
  • Seriously, this was a mechanic I didn't expect but I recall there was a leak from recent that mentioned older gen Pokemon gaining alternate types. Guess that's what ended up being Alola Forms.

I love the new forms of the Sandshrew and Vulpix lines there, particularly due to their unique type combinations because I wanted Ice/Steel and Ice/Fairy to become a thing for ages now. Exeggutor looks odd, but hey it's another Grass/Dragon coming right after the last main series titles giving us Mega Sceptile.

Karous

Captain Obvious
    Years
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exn0s6Dukmk

So take this video and replace every reference to the film North with Alola forms and you would get my opinion on them.

I wouldn't be so sour if it weren't more gen 1 pandering bullshit, if the designs made any sort of sense, and they stopped beating around the bush and gave us more proper evolutions and/or tweaking the Pokemon to fit the current generation instead of redefining the same Pokemon over and over again. Honestly I could barely take them seriously.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • New type combinations and yet Exeggutor is my favorite among the alolan forms! He has a funny looking tail!

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Personally, I didn't expect several Pokémon to have different variants, but I think it's the good thing since there are some variant that I wanted to catch. Yes, I'm digging into Alola Vulpix because it looks pretty, and so does its evolution who has Ice and Fairy typing. Now the next question is if we can still breed, let's say, the other region's Ninetales and having the other region's Vulpix (with Fire-type in it) as the offspring or not.

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
    Years
  • While the typing for nine tails and sandslash are pretty weird( how does a fire type and ground type from Hawaii become ice types) but I do find the concept cool and long over due I always wanted region differences for older Pokemon but I expected minor redrawns but never different types , this just opened Pandora's box on something cool

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • I was utterly shocked at first, but now I love these new Formes. If you think about it, in real life there are several animals and plants that have different variants of their species from country to country. This is what the Alola Formes remind me of, and I think it's a really cool concept.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
    Years
  • I'm totally in love with Alolan Vulpix and Ninetails (so much!!). I wonder what will have to be used to evolve it? And I do hope that we can catch their regular variants naturally in the game somewhere rather than having to trade. Maybe it depends on which part of Alola you're in which variant shows up. Either way, it's a really cool concept that I've wanted for a while.

Exeggutor is so funny.

Karous

Captain Obvious
    Years
  • While the typing for nine tails and sandslash are pretty weird( how does a fire type and ground type from Hawaii become ice types)

There will probably be dormant volcanoes on Alola. Both the Ninetales and Sandslash families have been associated with living near volcanoes in previous main series games, I can see them doing a backstory of the Pokemon living around the volcano until it became dormant, and then becoming Ice types to adapt to the new climate instead of leaving their homes.

This is the summit of Mauna Kea on the big island of Hawaii, for example:

Alola Forms

My theory is that there will be an expy of Mauna Kea on one of the Alolan islands, and this is where the Sandshrew and Vulpix will be found.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I like the route Game Freak are taking with Sun and Moon, it's really different and they're changing up the typical Pokemon recipe. I love the designs for the Sandshrew and Vulpix line and I'm sure we will get Alola Forms for more than just Gen One Pokemon when the full game is released.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • These are basically Delta Species Pokemon from the TCG. And I really like them. Especially the Ice Vulpix.

It is actually something that has been wanted by people. Even an entire Rom Hack revolves around the Delta Species. Which is basically the same exact concept.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    My Icetales will destroy alllll the dragonssssss.

I am hyped for this idea, I hope to see some more less-used pokemon (ala Sandshrew) get this make over. Preferably 'mons from Gen1/2.

Back