• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

AMA AMA Explosion Part 20

Bay

Years
    Usually when I do these AMAs most folks ask me questions about writing, which I don't mind! I also am cool with questions about books, games, TV shows, just about anything really?

So yeah, go wild!

Years
    Hi Bay! How long have you been writing fanfiction?
    What kind of books do you like, and are there any that you would recommend? (I need more things to read)
    Favorite Ace Attorney game?

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Hi Bay!!

Starting with a book question cause I'm genuinely curious lol. Who is your favorite author of color (if you have one) and what's the book you like most from them?

And do you have any items / objects that you collect?

Years
    any tips you can give to someone who has a hard time committing to reading a book even though they really want to?

Years
    worst book you've ever read (and actually finished)? worst book you just..couldn't even bother finishing? how quickly did you know it wasn't the book for you?

Bay

Years
    Hi Bay! How long have you been writing fanfiction?
    What kind of books do you like, and are there any that you would recommend? (I need more things to read)
    Favorite Ace Attorney game?

1. So I started writing fanfiction senior year of high school in 2005, so around 15-16 years. I actually started writing a few scripts for The Simpsons before switching to prose for Pokemon.
    2. I read all kinds of genres though I tend to lean ones with some thriller, suspense, and fantasy in it. For thriller Dan Brown's Robert Langdon series tend to be fun reads. GRR Martin's Song of Fire and Ice series are awesome for low fantasy/drama. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern has this magical and mysterious vibe to it that's charming.
    3. Trials and Tribulations is often the fandom's go to favorite game, but for good reason. Spirit of Justice comes at a close second!

Hi Bay!!

Starting with a book question cause I'm genuinely curious lol. Who is your favorite author of color (if you have one) and what's the book you like most from them?

And do you have any items / objects that you collect?

Ah man that is a great question. I'm gonna be honest I haven't explored too much authors of color as I should have. =< I did read Kevin Kwan's Crazy Rich Asians series last year and while I enjoyed the books a lot there were some parts that turned me off (mainly playing off dark-skin Asians for laughs). Another book by an author of color I read was Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas. That one I had more fun reading, which you can read on my post in the Reading Book Challenge thread if you don't mind spoiles.

As for any times/object that I collect, hmm. I used to collect the Pokemon trading card games when I was a kid but not much anymore due to losing interest in Pokemon for a couple years. When I came back into Pokemon I didn't get back into collecting the cards, though I still appreciate the art!

worst book you've ever read (and actually finished)? worst book you just..couldn't even bother finishing? how quickly did you know it wasn't the book for you?

Worst book that I've finished is probably the first Welcome to Nightvale novel. I really liked the podcast and I was excited to read the novel but after finishing it it was underwhelming to me. The writing has it telling you to like feel sorry for this character etc instead of showing it, if that makes sense.

Worst book I couldn't bother to finish is maybe Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. I read that book because I watched the TV series and kinda like it and so I thought I would like the book version too. It took until maybe I was 40-50% through it that I stopped because it just dragged on and on and on. Also the more, ahem, risque scenes weren't written well lmao.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
    Who are your favourite AA characters, apart from the main cast?

Are there any pet peeves you have with writing?

What are your favourite movies and TV shows?

Bay

Years
    Who are your favourite AA characters, apart from the main cast?

Are there any pet peeves you have with writing?

What are your favourite movies and TV shows?

By main cast I'm going to assume you mean like Wright, Maya, Atehna, Apollo, Trucy, and the prosecutors. In that case, Mia! She's a pretty cool mentor and liked how she can make an appearance even in the afterlife.

Pet peeves in writing hmmmm. Not sure you meant when I write or what I usually see in writing, but I'll go with the former. So pretty often I get awkward sentences in my writing, and one of the advice I would get is to read aloud. Sometimes it does help, but most of the time I still have people point out "I don't understand what you mean here." Soooo I guess how awkward sentences are my weakness.

Favorite movies are the LOTR movies, Captain America and Winter Soldier, Collateral, and The Artist. TV shows I would say Elementary, Avatar The Last Airbender, and Game of Thrones (seasons 1-4).

What lesson have you had to learn over and over again?

To realx lmao. I've been know to have hugh anxiety and be overdramatic in real life so I often get told to relax and that things aren't as bad as I made them out to be.

Have you ever swam in a bay?

Nope, I haven't. Despite living in Southern California, places like beaches and such are many miles away from me so I don't get much oppurtunity to travel that far to do that.

Bay

Years
    What piece of art (book, music, movie, etc.) most influenced the person you are today?

I think I would have to a piece of art that influenced me the person I'm today would be Victor Hugo's Les Miserables. Even though Hugo's writing style gets heavy-handed at times but I still enjoy the drama in it and inspired me to attempt at writing!

Back