• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

An Experience Worth Sharing

Skyzor

Revha
Years
  • Hey. I have a pretty important experience, and reason why you should always give a Pokemon a chance. Before Pokemon Let's Go, I was never a fan of Venomoth. But I caught one to complete the dex, and she had solid stats. I needed a good fill in while a couple were at the daycare, so I brought her along. She did well in battle, and I always rotate who walks with me. It was eventually Victoria the Venomoth's turn. Of course, I spoke with her, and something about her general mannerisms melted my heart. The way that she was always bubbly, and happy. Over time, she actually became my permanent following Pokemon, and every moment with her brings me great joy. My point? Don't write off a Pokemon you've never tried, because you might actually love it.

Years
  • Amen to that! I just saw the cutest...ugly...but cutest bug boi Skorupi in Sword and my heart melted. I was never a Skorupi fan, but tonight he just walked up to me in the wild area and I was singing at the top of my lungs "I WANT TO SEE MY LITTLE BOY HERE HE COMES!" and I caught him. He's on my team for sure! I nicknamed him "Bug of BLISS" but he obviously needs a better nickname....obviously!

Last edited:

Skyzor

Revha
    Years
  • I absolutely feel that. Once you give one a chance, they become your friend. My favorite thing in Let's Go is when Victoria pokes me, or dances in the air. It's so cute.

Years
  • this is basically more or less a lesson for people to try more pokemon out than their usual favourites, right? this is definitely something i try to do in most pokemon games. of course, i can't help it most of the time and stick with most of my favourites anyway because i'm used to that, but i make it a thing to try a new pokemon out of curiosity and they tend to surprise me in good ways. o: like last generation, i've tried out weavile despite not really having experience with one before and it actually surprised me how cool it was!

so yeah, imo, there's nothing wrong with trying out a new pokemon or two and giving them a chance. :>

Skyzor

Revha
    Years
  • Yeah. It's great to stick with your favorites, but that doesn't mean you should ignore the possibilities of new favorites. Pokemon is a game with a lot of creatures, and all of them are worth a shot!

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Hard agree.

I remember when Gen 5's Pokedex was first leaked and I hated a lot of the new Pokemon introduced. However, there was one Pokemon in particular I wanted to have (Hydreigon) so I got the games a week after launch. During my playthrough of White, I was at Castelia City with only 4 members and I decided to add another one to the team so caught a few mons from Route 4 and decided on Scraggy, a Pokemon I didn't like at first glance. I didn't regret it; it plowed through the entire game and I enjoyed using it so much I didn't want to use a different Fighting-type for my Black playthrough, although I decided on a Fighting-type after reaching Brycen's gym. Scrafty eventually joined the ranks of my favourite Pokemon list and not just that, it actually became my #1 favourite Pokemon later on. That lesson alone helped me to try out new Pokemon, although I don't think it would be as drastic as Scrafty's. :P

Years
    • Seen today
    Unfortunately, sometimes the opposite occurs.

In Platinum I was so excited after finding a Skull Fossil. Rampardos is so cool looking...but it's so bad. At first it's most powerful move resulted in recoil damage, and it already has poor defense. Since it's most powerful attack lacked STAB, it would often fall just short of getting a KO, and with it's poor defense it wasn't taking any hits. Also because I was playing on set, it could never get on the field with it's poor defenses. I even tried to support it by catching a Bronzor and teaching it reflect. The result: Bronzor simply became a better team member. I was hoping for a powerful Rock STAB move, but....it learned Ancient Power. Which is a special move. Then I get Rock Climb...and it's a normal move 😞.

I couldn't use it. This is one of the only times I've ever just given up and boxed a Pokemon. One of the worst parts was that it was getting outspeed so frequently and again, with it's poor defenses, it became a liability for my entire team. I was using so many potions on it that I would run out for my other team members. I ended up replacing it for a Weavile around the 7th gym, which had a similar role. High attack except it had decent speed. Even Sneasel was doing more for my team immediately than Rampardos.

Years
  • Unfortunately, sometimes the opposite occurs.

this is also true. not every experience using a different pokemon is always a positive one. but i mean, at least you gave Rampardos a shot before deciding that it wasn't something you liked. but i don't think there's anything wrong with going outside one's own comfort zone and trying out all sorts of different pokemon too see which ones we like and which ones we don't, y'know? o:

thinking of the different kinds of pokemon im gonna try out in my Shield version and it's honestly exciting! the cool thing about trying out new pokemon you've never tried out before is that you never know whether you're going to stick with them in the long run after using them.

Skyzor

Revha
    Years
  • It's a shame. But hey, in Altered Platinum, Bastiodon is actually really good. Steel/Dragon. Ya just gotta have a little patience with it. Heal it, have it spam bulk up, keep im around. And then he obliterates, and the buff to the special defense gives you metal burst to deal with strong special attacks.

I think Rampardos is more usable, it's rock/dragon. Thought that was dope.

Sorry for the latest reply of all time, I forgot I made this thread.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • It's a shame. But hey, in Altered Platinum, Bastiodon is actually really good. Steel/Dragon. Ya just gotta have a little patience with it. Heal it, have it spam bulk up, keep im around. And then he obliterates, and the buff to the special defense gives you metal burst to deal with strong special attacks.

I think Rampardos is more usable, it's rock/dragon. Thought that was dope.

Sorry for the latest reply of all time, I forgot I made this thread.

Even though the thread is quite old, don't worry too much about reviving it. I also find it heartwarming that you returned to the thread after all those years. To be fair, December 2019 doesn't even feel like three years ago, perhaps because of COVID-19. I find the thread quite interesting to say the least. Your experience with Venomoth is similar to my experience with Butterfree when playing Pokémon Sword. Ironically, Venomoth is a similar Pokémon to Butterfree that can do similar things. Before Pokémon Sword, I never really paid Butterfree much attention. I simply caught Caterpie and evolved it into Metapod and eventually Butterfree at level 10 strictly for the Pokédex entries and left it in the box the entire time. However, when playing Pokémon Sword, I began to take competitive Pokémon more seriously and I attempted to rank up to Master Ball tier because the Battle Tower got too easy. One of the main reasons the Battle Tower got too easy was because I found out that Butterfree learned Quiver Dance, a great status move that boosts its Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed by one stage, Sleep Powder with the Ability Compound Eyes, which raises Sleep Powder's accuracy from 75% to 97%, and Baton Pass, which allows Butterfree to switch out and pass its stat boosts to the other Pokémon that took its place. I did that with Reshiram, which to be fair, doesn't even need the boosts, but I wanted to ensure overkill to grind for as much BP as possible. After that, I set a goal to attempt to play against real people and reach Master Ball tier in competitive Pokémon using only my favorites so they can earn the Master Rank ribbon. I used the same strategy with Butterfree as my lead and sure enough, I accomplished my goal, which Butterfree played a major role with as my lead. Ever since, Butterfree became one of my all-time favorites simply based on how good and underrated it truly is.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • I love this! By now there are over 1000 pokemon, so every time we play through a game there is a chance to use a new pokemon on your team

Skyzor

Revha
    Years
  • Absolutely, and that's one of the things that makes the franchise so unique and awesome. There's a 100% chance you can find a team of 6 Pokémon for any person with any aesthetic preference.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • This is absolutely one of my favorite things about the Pokemon series. I love trying out new Pokemon each time I start a new playthrough. I love playing with old favorites and creating new favorites along the way. Recently, I've used Dunsparce when I never used one before. I ended up liking the little noodle more and more.

Of course, the opposite can happen too. Sometimes Pokemon are limited by their movepool or stats so it can be cumbersome to support them. I remember trying to use Rampardos. There isn't a reliable and powerful physical Rock type move. Stone Edge can miss and Rock Slide has lower damage than common attacks (Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, etc).

Angel-of-Light-Kelly

Longtime fan
    Years
  • The same thing essentially happened during my Nuzlocke. I caught a zubat early on in Shining Pearl, and decided to use it as my flying type since I previously had always used Staraptor. I do like bats, but I had always preferred Noivern and Lunala, and didn't really think much of the zubat other than that they're fast and you fight them so often, and I didn't like Golbat's design. But my Crobat became one of my strongest party members, and when I got to the footprint guy's house and he told me that the Crobat line was oftened shunned by others but that it appreciated me caring for it, well, I made sure that the Crobat never died. She was the member I wanted to protect the most because that was just too precious, and thus grew to like the line a lot more.

Plus, I nicknamed her after a childhood book I was read, Stellaluna. Probably helps with that.

Years
  • I can agree with this, I've tried a lot of mons I didn't think I would like just because I wanted to use something new. Some favorites because of this ended up to be Politoed, Tauros, and Aggron. Politoed I ended up loving so much I got it to lv. 100, which back in HGSS was more difficult than now!

Back