• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Animating worldmap head

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2017
    I don't really know if my question should be asked here or where, but anyways.

Is there a way to animate the "little head" of the worldmap and change its size to make it, for example, of 16x32?

Hope someone can help me :3

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 24, 2023
    I don't really know if my question should be asked here or where, but anyways.

Is there a way to animate the "little head" of the worldmap and change its size to make it, for example, of 16x32?

Hope someone can help me :3
    I'm pretty sure you can change it's size with unLZ and all but I'm not really sure about the animation part. :D

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
    Nope, I tried it and the image is cut, it only shows a 16x16 square and the rest is not showed.

It depends on
    1) size of the head
    2) amount of frames in animation

083F1C54 contains the OAM sprite structure for the world map head. You'll need to adjust this to get higher than the standard 8x8 pixel image. At 080C41E4 we have the amount being malloc'd. You can adjust the 0x8C in a hex editor. If it's higher than 1 byte (0xFF), you'll need to modify the source code with a hook. 0xFF is definitely not enough for multiple frames of that image. That's not all.

You need to edit the pals at 083EF27C and 083EF29C (male and female) pals). These are uncompressed pals.

For the actual animation, you'll need to write something up for the object callback :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2017
    It depends on
    1) size of the head
    2) amount of frames in animation

083F1C54 contains the OAM sprite structure for the world map head. You'll need to adjust this to get higher than the standard 8x8 pixel image. At 080C41E4 we have the amount being malloc'd. You can adjust the 0x8C in a hex editor. If it's higher than 1 byte (0xFF), you'll need to modify the source code with a hook. 0xFF is definitely not enough for multiple frames of that image. That's not all.

You need to edit the pals at 083EF27C and 083EF29C (male and female) pals). These are uncompressed pals.

For the actual animation, you'll need to write something up for the object callback :)

The size is 16x32 with 3 frames.
    When I look at 03f1c54 I get this, but I have no idea what to with it.
    Animating worldmap head

Malloc'd is something I have never heard of before.

Sorry to be so newbie in this but I'm starting with asm and oams so I don't know much :S

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
    The size is 16x32 with 3 frames.
    When I look at 03f1c54 I get this, but I have no idea what to with it.
    Animating worldmap head

Malloc'd is something I have never heard of before.

Sorry to be so newbie in this but I'm starting with asm and oams so I don't know much :S

Malloc is a function which allocates memory basically. In this case it was allocated 0x8C bytes for the image. You can change the 0x8C to a larger value (but it can only be upto 1 byte since it was allocated using a mov instruction).

Writing 00 C0 00 C0 at 083F1C54 should get the OAM to be the dimensions you wanted it to be.

Back