• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Approved] Anime/Manga Trivia Challenge

Years
    • Seen today
    Hi guys, just posting some information about my current plans for this event.

General Info
    This Anime/Manga Trivia Challenge should function similarly to how the VG Trivia and VGM Trivia have traditionally been hosted. Each day there will be a series of trivia questions or audio clues that participants have to get the answer to. What actually made me interested in wanting to host this event was thinking that perhaps it'd be a cool thing to have people guess the opening themes to anime and kind of celebrating that music. So my focus going into planning was more about the music aspect of anime.

Scheduling
    The event will run all days of the event, which should be 15 days unless I'm counting run. I plan on alternating "OST Trivia" and "Other Trivia" so people don't get bored having to do the same thing every day. Answers should be submitted by 11:59pm EST on the day of.

Scoring
    Team-based scoring. It's probably going to be similar to VG Trivia or VGM Trivia but I'm currently thinking 10 questions per day, 5 points for each question, and maybe like 5-10 bonus points if you get perfect. All subject to change.

More Specific Stuff
    In general, I want the event to get a bit more challenging as we get later into the GT. For the "OST Trivia", I think it'll move from just opening themes to including ending themes to including some BGM from the OST or something.

As for the "Other Trivia", I think it's probably gonna be more miscellaneous stuff. I did want to do more Manga-related things for these days so as to not have the event so "one-sided" in terms of content. I want to shy away from "meta" questions like which studios/publishing companies did which series and more towards the content of the series themselves. The only exception to this is probably some things related to dubs or English localizations. Other ideas I have would be guessing a character based on a picture or silhouette or naming whichever anime/manga a character comes from.

Concerns
    One of my concerns regarding this event is the possible spoiling of series it might have on participants (mostly for the non-music parts of the event). To increase difficulty, I was considering including characters that appear later on in a series or things of a similar nature. I don't think a spoiler warning in the event description would suffice, seeing as it's for all anime/manga. I'll probably just proceed as is but I will keep in mind not to ask certain types of questions. If anyone has any thoughts or would like to discuss with me, I'm all open for it.

Another concern I had was related to the representation and difficulty of the trivia. I'm generally not a super big anime watcher, so I'll have to do some research for this event. But the anime/manga that I have the most knowledge about are the most standard Shounen things out there. It may be hard for me to accurately represent the wide range of anime that a "normal" anime watcher may have in this quiz. Something I consider difficult may not be difficult to others, and the opposite is also true. I may consider, say, Vegeta's theme from DBZ to be iconic and easy points, but other people might not because they're too young for DBZ or they don't watch that kind of anime. Perhaps this question goes out to other people who have hosted similar events - what did you end up doing?

Years
  • A lot of your worries about difficulty should be covered by the fact it's a team event where multiple people will be working on each set of questions each day.

Years
  • This sounds good and I agree with GP - based on my experience hosting these, you will be surprised what people know. If anything, I encourage going for as much of a range as possible, to get the team talking as much as they can! You will be surprised what people know AND what people want the most is variety!

I can also suggest picking themes for your music sections if you are stuck, so say something like:

- Opening themes
    - Ending themes
    - Character themes

Regarding the spoiler side of things, it's up to you but I would say that a warning in the event should suffice as in theory people should be reading it! However, I could suggest that for newer titles you could stick to say things which people are more commonly aware of, and leave the later in-depth stuff for older titles, that way content that people are more likely to have consumed more of won't have to worry too much? Personally I don't mind, because even if you don't I am certain that the team chats will probably as part of their discussion spoil some stuff.

Otherwise, really great to see trivia by not me for a change! Excited for this! Also I will get the music setup side of things to you over this weekend qwerty!

Years

• Heya, just doing a step-by-step to get those audio tags into a post like I do for my events.

Step 1 - Obtaining your songs

- As far as I am aware, the audio tags on PC only accept hosted music files that are .mp3s, so make sure to format your sound clips into .mp3 files.
    - You can use something such as a YouTube video converter or somethng such as Audacity, just make sure it can save in the aforementioned format.
    - Make sure to rename your files to something such as File/Song 1, because if not then you can easily hover over the link/save the file and get its name from there (therefore probably getting the song name)

Step 2 - Uploading your songs

- The best way for me has been to use Dropbox, make a folder for your songs and then upload your songs into there.

Step 3 - Getting your song links from Dropbox

- Firstly, open up dropbox.com and then select the dropdown arrow for 'All Files' to being up your folders. Find the folder with your songs and select it.

Anime/Manga Trivia Challenge

- Then right click on the song of choice and select 'Copy Link', which will bring up a pop-up with a link in. Copy that link.

Anime/Manga Trivia Challenge

Step 4 - Posting your songs onto PC

- Once you have your link, you will need to put it into an audio tag, so it will look something like this:

[audio]https://www.dropbox.com/s/wpg4pah4zx0hwbg/Olympics%20Song%206.mp3?dl=0[/audio]

Which when parsed, will look like this:

As you can see, there is no duration, meaning that the song has not uploaded. We will need to tweak the link that we've used a little to make this work properly. To do this, change your link from this (red parts are parts that need to be removed):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wpg4pah4zx0hwbg/Olympics%20Song%206.mp3?dl=0

To this (green parts are parts that need to be added in):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/wpg4pah4zx0hwbg/Olympics%20Song%206.mp3

You should then have this as your final result:

I hope that helps! Any questions just shout, but feel free to use this space to test this out. The code if you want just something to copy/paste from is this:

[audio]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/wpg4pah4zx0hwbg/Olympics%20Song%206.mp3[/audio]

Years
    • Seen today
    Ok short write-up, though I don't have CSS yet. I'll steal some or someone can hit me up. I got kinda busy and sick this week so I didn't end up writing this until now.

Spoiler:

Should I add the honour blurb at the end instead of in the rules part? Am I missing anything (other than CSS)?

Years
  • Other than the CSS, looks solid. Don't forget to post in the scheduling thread. Please leave your Discord info here too so we can give you the appropriate perms.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Discord is #5qwerty0466.

With CSS:

Spoiler:

If achievements are not appropriate then I can remove. Let me know if they should be worth points or not and what a suggested amount should/could be.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Your music example is broken, but otherwise it looks good. Maybe change the teams to their actual names. I found it funny but idk if it's great for the vibe. Will mark this done assuming the changes will be made.

Years
    • Seen today
    Your music example is broken, but otherwise it looks good. Maybe change the teams to their actual names. I found it funny but idk if it's great for the vibe. Will mark this done assuming the changes will be made.

Ok I made some changes to the CSS. The text was kinda transparent on darker themes so I changed it. Names were placeholders because I wasn't too sure if Arqueros and Guerreros were the correct names, but I just put those there now. I'm not too sure what you mean about the audio being broken, it works fine on my computer and phone as well (tried Edge, Firefox, and Chrome).

Years
  • This looks really good, super stoked to take part in this!

Regarding achievements - keep them in and if you're unsure on points we can take a look, but I'd say maybe 20 points apiece if they're a one-off?

GP I think the preview may be an issue on your end only because I've tried it on multiple browsers and desktop/mobile with no issues hmmmm

Back