• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Anyone else HATE the Vermilion Gym trash can puzzle?

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
Years
  • I hated doing the cans, but since I've watched speedrunners, the cans became clear to me.

Anyone else HATE the Vermilion Gym trash can puzzle?

^Note that this trick only works in the original RBY. You do not need to worry about the cans in GSC's Vermilion. FRLG and HGSS are both mandatory and don't follow such an easy system.

Girl

04/07/14
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2014
    I've never had a problem with this gym. I'm surprised that so many have had trouble.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I always found that puzzle easy (luck I suppose, I just guess where they are lol). I agree though, it is a pretty boring puzzle.

Years
  • actually i found it easy. I was 8 years old when I first solved the puzzle on Pokemon Blue and took me about 5 minutes to do it. Of course I was lucky, the second time on Pokemon Yellow took me a bit more but still. ALL HAIL THE FIRST GENERATION! :D

Mega Venusaur

Muncher
    Years
  • Who didn't hate the Vermilion Gym's puzzle? It took me at least 30 minutes to complete the puzzle after several attempts causing me to become extremely frustrated. By the time I had reached Lieutenant Surge, I was already exhausted.

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    There's actually a glitch where the switch can end up not even being around your trash can in Red and Blue. It's only annoying since it's based on luck, I stick to my guns and whenever possible if I find the 1st switch I find that the 2nd switch follows Nintendo Logic and is in a trash can I already checked near by. This method usually works for me.

Guest123_x1

The Vermillion Gym puzzle was one of the many things I despised about the Gen. I games when I played them early on, when I was relatively new to the franchise. Later, though, I would train my Pokémon team and level them up elsewhere, then go into the gym, and I would either intentionally get the puzzle wrong or talk to the Trainers to challenge them manually.
    The Cinnabar Gym is somewhat similar: answer the trivia question wrong, and you're forced into a battle.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • I don't think I've ever had much trouble with this puzzle. Sure, I'd get it wrong the first few times as most people would, but I usually would be done with it within less than 20 minutes or so. It basically just boils down to a little bit of luck and knowing what you have to do.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2015
    I think I caused a freeze by messing up the puzzle. I tried to unlock it, but botched it 3 times, did another fight and went back to the poke center. But on the way back it locked up.

The Serious Table

Can't touch this
    Years
  • Well I guess I got lucky. I got the switches right the second time trying it. It only took me 3 minuets. Same thing in the Fire Red remake... I guess I'm resistant to extremely annoying events!!

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    I hated this puzzle! The second time around I was smarter and saved after I found the first electric switch so they didn't reset because it took me about half an hour to find the switches the first time I played the game...

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • I hate it even more in the original RBY than the FRLG remakes, because the 2nd switch doesn't even appear in the trashcans unless you press the 1st one. Where in the remake if you press the 2nd switch before the 1st one, the switch just gets inversed so you have to press the 1st one like if it became the 2nd one.

And in RBY, for example, let's say there's 3 trashcans called A, B & C respectively. I press trash can A and there's nothing in it, I press trash can B and there's nothing in it, then i press trashcan C and I find the switch. I press the trash can B and it says I found the 2nd switch. I found that dumb.

bewbs

~Chloe~
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    What I did was save after I got the first can right and then if I get the second one wrong, I can reset and try again.

tnfsf11

It took me about a minute or two, because I was playing a ROM & used Saved States for this particular annoying puzzles. ;)

It's sad that they did nothing about it in the remakes...

pyx

I will never repeat myself... I will never repeat
    Years
  • That puzzle is the most annoying gym puzzle in Pokemon history... So yeah, it was frustrating for me too...

Back