• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anyone play Pokémon Go using just Wifi?

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2016
    As my phone is too ancient and my tablet has Wi-Fi connectivity i'm limited to how much I can play! Annoying!

Illusionss

Banned
    Years
    Wrong!! I'm playing it using WiFi right now! It's recommended that you play using 3g, but as long as you have GPS you can play!

I meant unplayable in the sense that you are extremely limited and in most cases you won't be able to interact with any gyms or pokestops, not to mention you'll come across very little amounts of pokemon.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    I'd say a solid 70-80% of my playtime is spent using WiFi. I use it when i'm playing at home, I use the work WiFi whenever I get a chance to play, and, mericfully, the buses I use to travel to and from work have free WiFi on them.

Basically, since installing Go on the 23rd of July, i've used up 149MB of data. I only have 8 days until my data usage resets itself, so it's unlikely i'm going to run out.

Tewi

Хорошо
    Years
    I played a little PoGo on a friends phone, and something i noticed is, when using Wi-Fi, there are way more variety of Pokemon, than when using 3G,etc. Like 3G i got only pidgeys and rattatas. But with Wi-Fi, Eevees, Starmies, Horseas and the like.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I played a little PoGo on a friends phone, and something i noticed is, when using Wi-Fi, there are way more variety of Pokemon, than when using 3G,etc. Like 3G i got only pidgeys and rattatas. But with Wi-Fi, Eevees, Starmies, Horseas and the like.
    Hmm that's strange, that really shouldn't be the case since what spawns is server-side and your connection type shouldn't effect that at all. Strange if you're seeing this but I don't imagine it's related, just a coincidence most likely haha.

Personally I play with a good mixture of the two. I have a few WiFi hotspots around the village and obviously in my house which I use when I'm near them, otherwise I'll use mobile data for the majority of the time playing. I don't notice any difference between the two in terms of either limitations or encounters and as far as I'm aware there shouldn't be any unless one form is quicker for your individual phone so I'm surprised that people are seeing them.

Years
    Lol, I hardly ever seen anyone play Pokemon Go using just wifi :D It limits your distance and as the name "Go" suggest, you'd better move far away for searching your Poké.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
    Wifi has its own restrictions in the sense that there is a range as well as connectivity issues, especially since the malls and streets are flooded with Pokemon Go users. Normally I just use my data when I'm out and about, since Pokemon Go doesn't use much (it's more battery-taxing).

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2016

This is likely purely perception. There's no incentive of Niantic to care whether you're on 3G/4G or Wifi, or for them to create different spawn rates.

Back