• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Appearance or Stats?

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    When you're making a team whether for competitive play or for single player only, do you choose the pokemon you think look the coolest or do you not care how they look as long as they perform well?

srinator

How does looking cool have to do anything with competitive pokemon, anyway I do not care what hey look like 103% of the time of they perform well.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    How does looking cool have to do anything with competitive pokemon, anyway I do not care what hey look like 103% of the time of they perform well.

Well because there are some pokemon that perform well but people might not like using them because they don't like how they look, kinda like Goodra.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    I used to care about appearance when I was first getting into competitive Pokemon. I stopped because I like diversity in my teams and using the same favorites all the time can get old. I'm pretty positive about most Pokemon designs anyway.

Well because there are some pokemon that perform well but people might not like using them because they don't like how they look, kinda like Goodra.
    But Goodra is adorable!

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • I don't care at all about looks when it comes to competitive Pokemon. If we're talking about Pokemon in general, Milotic is the first that comes to mind, since I love her for her looks rather than what she does in battle.

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
    Years
  • I prefer appearance over stats, maybe because I don't play very competitively

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • When building a competitive-grade team, I choose an ace pokémon that I love either aesthetically or conceptually and build support around it based on what has good synergy with the ace.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Obviously the stats. In competitive play, the main goal is to defeat the opposing team and win, not a beauty contest to show off. I personally use my favourites for casual battles as well as trying to build a team around them if I can but if it's a serious team then I focus on making a team that supports itself well. Also, I do like the majority of competitive Pokemon's designs.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I don't consider appearance as a requirement for any of my teams, in-game or otherwise. In fact, I once won a contest in Emerald using Muk :p There really aren't any Pokemon that has a bad design anyway.

Back