• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Apple Releases Lion

Gerri Shin

  
Years
  • Today, Apple releases the next major upgrade to its Mac OS X line, Mac OS 10.7 Lion. It's available now in the Mac App Store and should be available in late August on a USB flash drive.

In addition to the release of Mac OS X Lion, Apple has also released new MacBook Airs, Mac Minis, and Cinema Displays with Thunderbolt connections and Sandy Bridge processors. Apple has also decided to discontinue its Entry level White macbook and has chosen to name the 11.6" MacBook Air its successor.

Alinthea

I have nothing to say
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2015
    It just reminds me of the iPhone OS in places, but I think we all knew each OS would be borrowing certain characteristics from each other.
    I am unsure if I will be upgrading to it, so I will just research into it and see.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I don't like the new scrolling system; it feels natural on my iPhone but horrible on a MacBook.

I've just installed it, so I don't have much more to say, really.

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
  • So what exactly does it do? Is it made better for touchscreen monitors? I have really never used any of the Apple Computers but I have always envied the sleek look of the OS and from what I've seen this looks pretty good too.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • I don't like the new scrolling system; it feels natural on my iPhone but horrible on a MacBook.

I've just installed it, so I don't have much more to say, really.
    It takes about a day to get use to, but I have to say It now feels slightly weird whenever I'm using Snow Leopard. If it bugs you too much you can reverse it back to the old way in the Mouse preference pane.

So what exactly does it do? Is it made better for touchscreen monitors? I have really never used any of the Apple Computers but I have always envied the sleek look of the OS and from what I've seen this looks pretty good too.
    Apple basically took ideas that worked very well on iOS and integrated them into Mac OS and made Mac OS more sleek and unified. They also updated many core applications like Mail and Safari to make them more secure and easier to use.

My favorite feature so far has been Launchpad. Using that to launch my applications and relegating an auto-hid dock as a running applications manager is great for my workflow, plus the ease of going back and forth between spaces and full-screen apps in Mission control is great. I never used to use spaces before.

Zet

Years
  • I find it silly that Apple made this a download only OS. Some people with mobile internet USBs only get 3GB a month(well they do here at least).

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • I'm running on it right now and, after having some awkward issues involving negotiations with my trackpad, it's working brilliantly. The animations are great and to me Safari seems so much smoother. I had a lot of lag at first but I think that's because Spotlight was busy indexing my Hard Drive or something. It all seems faster to me for some reason and I'm also loving the new Spaces and Mission Control; instantly preferred over Exposé.

One thing I hate tho is that Apple have gone and hidden the Library. It's not much hassle to get to it but I just found it kind of irritating when it was accessible before (and I used it quite a lot too).

Last edited:

MonsterMMORPG

Monster Game Developer
    Years
  • i really don't see any point of buying apple product unless you want to flaunt other people. they sell almost double price of what they deserve.

Alinthea

I have nothing to say
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2015
    I find it silly that Apple made this a download only OS. Some people with mobile internet USBs only get 3GB a month(well they do here at least).

I think they are making it available on a USB device I think. Don't quote me on that, but I know what you mean. It seems like the download purchase is aimed at mid to high speed internet holders.

Zet

Years
  • I think they are making it available on a USB device I think. Don't quote me on that, but I know what you mean. It seems like the download purchase is aimed at mid to high speed internet holders.

Apple will be selling the USB device with Lion on it for $69. But I'm not sure if that includes postage or not.

Years
  • i really don't see any point of buying apple product unless you want to flaunt other people. they sell almost double price of what they deserve.
    Really dude; not the place.

...besides: Great hardware & exclusive OS. :P
    Apple will be selling the USB device with Lion on it for $69. But I'm not sure if that includes postage or not.

So many people are near an Apple Store or reseller that they should be be able to walk in and buy one.

If they don't have the internet connection to download Lion, they most likely aren't the sort of people to jump on a bleeding-edge OS.

I'm quite enjoying the change. There's a few little issues, like not connecting to some of my Samba shares. Reverse scrolling is uncomfortable, but that's okay, because there's the option to turn it off.

Gerri, if you haven't been using Spaces unti now, you're missing out. :D I used to have one space for each class at uni. It meant I could put aside programming and have just my Phyics work on-screen.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    By far the best, easiest to use operating system I've ever been on! Love the way they implemented spell checks and the keyboard and how much it resembles the iOS keyboard functionalities, and I love the full screen apps. I knew I'd be impressed, but I'm a lot more impressed with how fast everything's running! I don't know what they did to Safari, but it's become such a powerhouse in speed! My internet is slow as anything, and pages load so quickly!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • Gerri, if you haven't been using Spaces unti now, you're missing out. :D I used to have one space for each class at uni. It meant I could put aside programming and have just my Phyics work on-screen.
    My previous workflow made heavy use of expos? and rotating windows, I got so used to that and not having memorized or created a handy way of invoking the switch space keyboard shortcut are the reasons why. However since now I can easily switch spaces/Desktops with a 4 finger flick, it's really changed my perspective on them. Now I've got Media in one, Photoshop in another and school stuff in a few more. Gotta say I love em, combined with fullscreen apps, perfection. Makes me miss them every time I use my Mac Pro, which is still on Snow Leopard. (got a few rosetta apps that I;m still using there.)

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • OK, I now like the new scrolling. It took about a day, but now I can't fathom using scrolling 'normally'. Damn you, Apple! Your evil quest for world domination continues!

Zet

Years
  • So many people are near an Apple Store or reseller that they should be be able to walk in and buy one.

If they don't have the internet connection to download Lion, they most likely aren't the sort of people to jump on a bleeding-edge OS.

I'm quite enjoying the change. There's a few little issues, like not connecting to some of my Samba shares. Reverse scrolling is uncomfortable, but that's okay, because there's the option to turn it off.

Gerri, if you haven't been using Spaces unti now, you're missing out. :D I used to have one space for each class at uni. It meant I could put aside programming and have just my Phyics work on-screen.
    Online store purchase only, so people are out of luck if they try buying it in stores.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I'm annoyed at Adobe. They had time to develop Lion compatible software, yet Flash is buggy as hell.

Smooth otherwise.

Silver

Kyle
    Years
  • I've currently got Lion running my main iMac, and I'm digging it so far. Not sold on the whole iOS-esque features they brought in. Perhaps if I ever had a desire to buy a Magic Trackpad I could see the benefit of the gestures, but honestly, the trackpad is just not for me. I'll take a solid good mouse anyway. Other than that Lion's proving to be very nice, enjoying discovering new things they added in as I go.

Still working on getting it up and running on my MBP, mainly because I just haven't bothered yet. I guess my family wants their computers upgraded as well, so I should probably do that too. =/

Zet

Years
  • I'm annoyed at Adobe. They had time to develop Lion compatible software, yet Flash is buggy as hell.

Smooth otherwise.

I'm annoyed at Apple because they kept changing everything in the development process so a lot of Companies/Developers couldn't keep up. Also if you didn't know Apple decided to throw away flash and the online pdf reader.

Years
  • Also if you didn't know Apple decided to throw away flash and the online pdf reader.

Really? Because both of them still work quite happily for me. Hardware acceleration and all.

I'm waiting on Chrome to get the full screen treatment and I hope Office 2011 and Photoshop get it, too.

Back