• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are people inherently evil or inherently good?

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    Going by his definition, using the philosophies of Hobbes and other English philosophers can easy allow me to show my point even more. These philosophers, such as Hobbes believed humans will act immorally according to their tainted, corrupted nature if there is no order. Of which, if there were no order, there would be atrocities left and right.

Hobbes was a great thinker and effectively founder of the modern state but you need to pay attention to the true meaning of his ideas. His theory is based on an allegory.

Anyway, regardless of whether men are born evil (Hobbes) or corrupted by their environment (Rousseau), the social contract is the orderly compromise that supports the modern state.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    Here's something to determine whether humans are inherently good or evil, one of the last northern white rhinos passed away recently. Rhinos have been on the brink of extinction because of humans' desire for their horn as either a consolation prize or medicine from other cultures, and this subspecies has only 3 members left (all female), which spells inevitable doom without a male member. There is, however, a philosophical question regarding humans killing animals. Is it considered inherently good for us to wipe out rhinos because natural selection chose us to kill them all off or, in Thepowaofhax's case, is it inherently bad because of our greed for their horns and possibly destroyed an ecosystem?

Years
    Here's something to determine whether humans are inherently good or evil, one of the last northern white rhinos passed away recently. Rhinos have been on the brink of extinction because of humans' desire for their horn as either a consolation prize or medicine from other cultures, and this subspecies has only 3 members left (all female), which spells inevitable doom without a male member. There is, however, a philosophical question regarding humans killing animals. Is it considered inherently good for us to wipe out rhinos because natural selection chose us to kill them all off or, in Thepowaofhax's case, is it inherently bad because of our greed for their horns and possibly destroyed an ecosystem?

Natural selection is not an issue of choice. It is inherently an amoral concept - what survives gets to reproduce. It sounds like you have a social darwinist interpretation of the concept, but that's not what natural selection is all about.

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017

Inherently evil; we're only killing these animals to the brink of extinction because their prized horn is sold for ungodly amounts; during a spike, these things could've sold a good 35,000$ a pound. All it is a glorified keratin, aka the same material as our fingernails.

Years
    I think that people start as inherently neutral. Everything that a child that is born in this world learns both good things and bad things by living throughout his/her environment growing up and after gaining some experience in life they try to understand what they did and if the path that they followed was a good one or they need to walk on a different path. Even if the child is born by both criminal parents it may turn to be good one. Noone knows and that's one of the unsolved mysteries of life in my opinion. Agree to bf lover from above lol (i used to play bf rpg until my account was lost about more info maybe i will hit you hard lol like avant ^^) that people are not like animals but sometimes i think that money has made us worse and more fierce from animals. Generally, there are a lot of things that i would like to note that there are some actions which can be considered both good and bad at the same time and end on an endless loop. To sum up we start in neutral road and we wander around it we step to bad and good things until we finally understand that's my thought. Thanks for speaking with you guys you really help me enlighting me with many things :)

P.S Bf=Brave Frontier a server sided rpg game collecting units and challenge opponents and other people :)

Spacy

Visitor from beyond...
    Years
    Neither. We're inherently neutral, and over time as our personalities change and evolve we could lean more towards one way or the other. Sometimes just a bit, and other times it's more extreme. One cannot simply call humans good or evil, because we vary in morals and opinions a lot.

Years
    Sir, The answer is a fiasco, A debacle.​

We cannot determine evil or purity. It's the game of concept, and perception. You may see the world in an evil way, and, evil will have you see it in the first gaze. Evil will appear if you have the glance of the world with despair, malice and satanic thoughts. Assuming the world as one, you cannot define evil and good. There will always be good and bad. Evil and Purity, Demons and Angels, Devil and God. The world may consist of positive and negative, it's hard to picture oneself answering an question as such, it's like a paradox.​
    Humans, for example, are in ways, both good and bad. Humans will always choose the side that seems the easiest, they'll avoid any road that's full of obstacles and hindrances.​
    Today, the one you helped few years ago, stabs you in the back. It's a massacre of humanity. Humans are cruel beings, the world is cruel, the world is evil, but in this world, it is upon us, to share goodness, be good, and pass the positivity to others.​

Back