• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are Trophies/Achievments changing the reason why we buy video games?

Blaze The Hedgehog

The Flaming Wolf!
    Years
    I bring up this point because I walked into a small-time games shop just on the corner of the street just to see what used games they had (I rarely buy new games now, unless it's a big release such as MW2 or Halo: Reach). Anyway, I was just browsing for a few munites, and a kid behind me asked his friend "Does this game give me a load of achievements? Because I need to have loads!" and I just thought, has the entire idea of buying a game for enjoyment alone gone out of the window?

Sure, you have people who buy a game for the experience or because it's a title that is well-known/praised. But now you have these gamers who just buy games just to rack up a point system that means diddly-squat.

Any thoughts?

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    I don't buy games for achievements. I buy games that I enjoy and then once I've enjoyed it once or twice through, I go back for the achievements to get the maximum playtime possible. I hate buying games that have crappy playtimes and aren't worth going through again (Blur, Splinter Cell: Conviction), so I generally get games I know I'll want to play again.

But I love getting achievements, because I like the noise it makes when you get one...lol.

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    Yeah, I mean, I rarely buy a PS3 game without trophies, unless it's REALLY good (MGS4, DMC4 for example).

I love to get trophies, I just do, but I just think that if I'm playing a game without trophies that I'm playing a game that's not living to it's potential and that I'm not being as rewarded as I could be for doing tasks.

But I happily play my Wii and my older consoles that don't utilize achievements and trophies etc. because there is no way that I could get any more rewarded for completing tasks/beating a game..Do you get what I mean? xD

The S

The Reverend
    Years
    I'm not a fan of achievements at all. I only end up getting the ones that occur without trying, or simple ones where I don't really have to go out of my way much to do. I actually do not have a single game where I've acquired all of the achievements as of this writing (the closest is Turtles in Time Re-Shelled, and that last achievement task is nigh impossible for me. so I'm not even bothering).

I feel achievements/trophies are an artificial way to extend a game's lifespan. Instead of programming actual incentives to continue playing, they just hook up a trigger for a popup... and that's supposed to be rewarding? Shoot, then I must be having a blast here at work....

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I feel achievements/trophies are an artificial way to extend a game's lifespan. Instead of programming actual incentives to continue playing, they just hook up a trigger for a popup... and that's supposed to be rewarding? Shoot, then I must be having a blast here at work....
    I agree with this really. It seems like a desperate attempt to try and make people play the game more just so they can get all the achievements.

As I'm from a generation of gaming where achievements/trophies didn't exist, I don't care for them. I'm not much of a competetive player, so I don't feel the need to take part in the "who can get the most gamescore" competition. It does have good aspects because it encourages players to actually master the game instead of zipping through the campaign as quickly as possible without playing again. Plus, it's fun to see if you can get them, and that's what gaming is all about.

I think the bad outweighs the good though; it would suck if all the younger gamers are now only playing so they can get the highest gamescore, makes me think everyone in the future will only be concentrating on what achievements they can get in a game rather than playing a quality game. I also hope developers won't start concentrating on making a game that offers a lot of achievements instead of paying attention to aspects that actually matter.

Last edited:
    Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I agree with this really. It seems like a desperate attempt to try and make people play the game more just so they can get all the achievements.

As I'm from a generation of gaming where achievements/trophies didn't exist, I don't care for them. I'm not much of a competetive player, so I don't feel the need to take part in the "who can get the most gamescore" competition. It does have good aspects because it encourages players to actually master the game instead of zipping through the campaign as quickly as possible without playing again. Plus, it's fun to see if you can get them, and that's what gaming is all about.

I think the bad outweighs the good though; it would suck if all the younger gamers are now only playing so they can get the highest gamescore, makes me think everyone in the future will only be concentrating on what achievements they can get in a game rather than playing a quality game. I also hope developers won't start concentrating on making a game that offers a lot of achievements instead of paying attention to aspects that actually matter.

I agree wholeheartedly. In a video game (let's take Metroid Prime Trilogy, for example) gameplay is supposed to precede achievements first and foremost. The Prime Trilogy has excellent gameplay, a long and overarching plot filled with action and excitement, and then, as a little "bonus" feature is a token system that allows you to unlock stuff (not a model example, but still applicable nonetheless). It should be more of an afterthought than a primary focus of the game.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I don't even know what an achievement does, nor do I pay attention when I get one. I just get a game I wanna get. Too busy playing the game to notice if I unlocked something anyway.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I never bought a game for the achievements, and I never will. I never really cared too much about achievements, and because so I rarely went out of my way to get an extra achievement when I'm not willing to do it. However, I see no problem with achievements for artificially extending the game, as long as the requirements aren't too hard to meet. I'd like to think of it as a side quest without any in-game reward.

The only thing that irks me about it is that whenever I'm feeling immersed in a game and unlock an achievement, I get that small jingle and my immersion in the game is completely sucked out after that.
    I don't even know what an achievement does, nor do I pay attention when I get one. I just get a game I wanna get. Too busy playing the game to notice if I unlocked something anyway.

It makes your e-peen bigger.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Sometimes I buy games because of the rewards/achievements unlocked after beating it fully. Once that's done, I get bored of the game, so it may not be worth it. Usually, I buy games just to have fun.

Lickeh Lickeh

Lickilicky lover
    Years
    I don't know why you would buy a game just for the achievements. The high Gamerscore does look cool but I wouldn't spend my money on a game for the Gamerscore.

I buy the game, enjoy it, then go back for the achievements.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Achievements are fun to get after I finish the game; often, they involve doing fun little things I haven't bothered to when rushing the story.

I don't buy games just for achievements though. Plus, I only finish really good games, so...they only work to improve the gaming fun because that way I get more out of a good game, if there are achievements.

Years

This.

I'm not bothered usually by trophies and achievements, but if there's one that's worthwhile (EG. Complete Uncharted 2 on Crushing), then I'll happily try and do it. Same with Batman: Arkham Asylum where you had to beat the game on Hard and MW2 beating the game on Veteran. In the past, I'd just breeze through single player on normal, but now I'm tempted just to go straight into the hardest setting if there's a trophy linked to it.

In that sense, it'll increase the lifespan as it'll take longer to complete.

Achievements are fun to get after I finish the game; often, they involve doing fun little things I haven't bothered to when rushing the story.

I don't buy games just for achievements though. Plus, I only finish really good games, so...they only work to improve the gaming fun because that way I get more out of a good game, if there are achievements.

Same here. I won't go out and buy, for example, King Kong just because it has some easy achievements. If I like a game enough (Batman again for example), I'll happily try and go for all the trophies.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Hasn't changed anything for me. I hate the whole idea of achievements.

Artificially extending the length of a game. I have no qualm with collectibles. But why can't collecting them just be the goal onto itself? That's it always used to be. If you're into that kind of thing then you get that little 100% stamp on your save file.

I don't need a fake pat on the back every time I do something in the game. I'm supposed to beat the levels, don't reward me further for it. That's stupid. Why do I get an achievement for doing something needless repeatedly? Does that make me a better gamer? Nope.

I don't need to boost my ego. I'm fine with 100% completion, I don't like achievements and the fake congratulations of it. It's like receiving the "thanks for participating" medal in organized sports for kids.

I got all the achievements in Assassin's Creed II without completing the game 100%. So, what does that tell you?

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
    I have my announcements turned off during gameplay as they're really distracting.
    I honestly couldn't give a damn about achievements.
    It's just a number, at the end of the day.

Lickeh Lickeh

Lickilicky lover
    Years
    Sometimes I use the achievements as a guideline on how to complete the game 100% fully so I can get most out of the game. Eg, get every collectible, go everywhere - just so then I can get the most out of the game.

Enjoying it of course on the way. :D

Years
    In my opinion, anyone who buys a game for the shear amount of achievements that you can unlock, is a fool. It is different, however, if you enjoy the game but want to unlock them all.

I buy a game if it appeals to me and if I really enjoy it, I will keep in mind what achievements I can gain, but I won't spend all hours of the day dedicated to getting it. I prefer playing the game and being rewarded from random achievements when they pop up.

Agent Clank

Bye PC
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    Even though I love achievments/trophies, that defenintly is not the reason I get my games. I get my games based on if there fun/awesome and if I like them.

Back