• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you an atheist?

Metatron

No guts, no glory
    Years
    Yeah, I'm an atheist.

I used to be religious, up until I was capable of rational thought (about age 6). Then I y'know...just took a second to recall what it is that my "religion" actually believed in. The magical sky kingdom, the omnipotent cosmical-tyrant, and the 2,000 year old Jewish zombie whose flesh I was expected to symbolically eat each week..lolwut?

Not only the sheer ridiculousness of faith (which is, by definition, belief without evidence), but all the atrocious acts committed by religious groups are what made not only an atheist, but an anti-theist as well.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2013
    Yeah, I'm an atheist.

I used to be religious, up until I was capable of rational thought (about age 6). Then I y'know...just took a second to recall what it is that my "religion" actually believed in. The magical sky kingdom, the omnipotent cosmical-tyrant, and the 2,000 year old Jewish zombie whose flesh I was expected to symbolically eat each week..lolwut?

Not only the sheer ridiculousness of faith (which is, by definition, belief without evidence), but all the atrocious acts committed by religious groups are what made not only an atheist, but an anti-theist as well.

Were you a Catholic? Did your parents force you to go to confirmation?

BTW, that is NOT what Catholics believe. Transubstantiation states that the bread and wine turn into the substance of Jesus' body and blood, while their appearences are merely "accidental." (I am not going to say what I think about that.)

When someone asks for my religion: I just say that I have the same religion as Ash Ketchum and Misty. I do not like to say that I am an atheist.

Last edited:
    Years
    When someone asks for my religion: I just say that I have the same religion as Ash Ketchum and Misty. I do not like to say that I am an atheist.

Ash and Misty are atheists? I did not know this.

But yeah, I'm a Roman Catholic. I prefer not to take the Bible at face value, but rather see the common themes that it has with other religions. I find all religions fascinating, and aside from semantics, they preach more or less many of the same things. Multiple stories are re-told in different forms across the world. I see the metaphysical and physical as independent, so you can say that I'm mildly Deist, but I believe in the Holy Trinity and all that jazz. I accept the concepts of evolution and don't believe the Earth is 6,000 years old or anything like that.

Metatron

No guts, no glory
    Years
    Were you a Catholic? Did your parents force you to go to confirmation?

No, I was never "catholic." When you're that young, you're incapable of belonging to any religious group, really. There's no such thing as a religious child; when you're that young and impressionable, you'll believe whatever your parents/adults tell you to be true, without ever second-guessing it. I was raised catholic, yeah, but I never considered myself to be catholic. If I had jewish parents, I would have been raised jewish; nowhere did I myself make the conscious choice to join a religion.

BTW, that is NOT what Catholics believe. Transubstantiation states that the bread and wine turn in the substance of Jesus' body and blood, while they appearences are merely "accidental." (I am not going to say what I think about that.)

...Wut? So when I used to attend mass when i was younger, and they would make me eat that stale-ass bread, telling me "this is the body of jesus," there was actually some deeper meaning to that? I know (or at least, I'd like to think) that no one goes to church and actually thinks they're consuming the body of a 2,000 year old deity in the form of a cracker, but...again, that's why I threw in the word "symbolically."

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
    Years
    I'm an Aetheist, I usually ignore religion, and sometimes I will show some respect towards it, but if any religion steps outta line I immediately hate that religion, which has led me to hate most religions, except Shinto, I have absolutely nothing against Shinto.

I don't hate people in religions who don't step outta line though, aka, people who know if other people in their religion are taking the religion in the wrong way.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    I believe that there's a greater power at work in the universe. But I do not believe that it especially interested in Mankind, and I do not believe that we should attempt to put a definition on it and say that it tells us to do this-or-that or that this-or-that is wrong.

Too much bloodshed and hatred comes with any organised religion: if "God" wanted us to love one another, we're sure going about it the wrong way.

So yeah, I'm not an Atheist. I count myself as an Agnostic.

Caelus

Gone
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    I'm a christian, specifically a Roman Catholic, but my family rarely, if ever, go to church.

Actually, the last time I went to one was back in 2006 when they built a new Catholic church, but we only attended it for a few weeks. :/ I'm thinking of going back to it.

I used to consider myself to be agnostic before going to church, and even early this year I questioned the existence of a deity, but I consider myself to be a Catholic nowadays.

Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2012
    I'm an athiest. I went to a strongly christian primary school, but after various events happpened and with a lot of thought dedicated to it, I decided that I was an atheist and that [I believe] god doesn't exist.

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
    Years
    [/totally not religious]

I believe in God and Jesus, and I believe in a non-bigoted god.
    Not the one people make him out to be, saying he will hate you if you're gay or masturbate.

I don't make what's written in the bible my life, I have my own justifacations of what's good or bad.

So yes, God exists to me.

The problem I have with people and religion as a group, are the people who make it thier life and preach night and day about it (I'm not talking priests or rabbis, I mean extremists.) and try to say things are wrong all the time,

"OMG BILLY, WHAT ARE YOU EATING?!"
    "A banana?"
    "God hates you forever noaw. kk bye."
    ":C"

I mean, I have athiest friends, and thier religion doesn't bother me one bit, and they don't preach to me about how God doesn't exist. So, it's all good unless your an extremist with me.

Rainflower

분홍신
    Years
    Nope, I am not and probably will never be one.

Nope; I believe in God. However, I do not read the Bible nor attend church. A majority of my community/peers have accepted me, as religion is not a big issue around here, although one elderly man was quite disappointed in my laziness. xD
    I read bible occasionally, but I do not attend church weekly. Laziness and waking up late has taken over my church routines. XD And my mom scolded me for that ;3;

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
    Years
    I'm Roman Catholic, but I haven't gone to a church of that type yet. =/

I believe in God because I don't like how little on human being can do. We're too fragile, I just don't like. If deities exist, I will do whatever it takes to meet them some day.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2013
    "Substance" here means what something is in itself. (For more on the philosophical concept, see Substance theory.) A hat's shape is not the hat itself, nor is its colour the hat, nor is its size, nor its softness to the touch, nor anything else about it perceptible to the senses. The hat itself (the "substance") has the shape, the colour, the size, the softness and the other appearances, but is distinct from them. While the appearances, which are referred to by the philosophical term accidents, are perceptible to the senses, the substance is not.

When at his Last Supper, Jesus said: "This is my body", what he held in his hands still had all the appearances of bread: these "accidents" remained unchanged. However, the Roman Catholic Church believes that, when Jesus made that declaration, the underlying reality (the "substance") of the bread was converted to that of his body. In other words, it actually was his body, while all the appearances open to the senses or to scientific investigation were still those of bread, exactly as before. The Catholic Church holds that the same change of the substance of the bread and of the wine occurs at the consecration of the Eucharist when the words are spoken "This is my body ... this is my blood." In Orthodox confessions, the change is said to take place during the prayer of thanksgiving.

Believing that Christ is risen from the dead and is alive, the Catholic Church holds that, when the bread is changed into his body, not only his body is present, but Christ as a whole i.e. body and blood, soul and divinity. The same holds for the wine changed into his blood. This belief goes beyond the doctrine of transubstantiation, which directly concerns only the transformation of the bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ.

The Roman Catholic Church considers the doctrine of transubstantiation, which is about what is changed, not about how the change occurs, the best defence against what it sees as the mutually opposed interpretations, on the one hand, a merely figurative understanding of the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist (it teaches that the change of the substance is real), and, on the other hand, an interpretation that would amount to cannibalistic eating of the flesh and corporal drinking of the blood of Christ (it teaches that the accidents that remain are real, not an illusion, and that Christ is "really, truly, and substantially present" in the Eucharist
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transubstantiation

Catholics do not believe that the bread symbolically is Jesus. They do believe that the bread "is" Jesus. Of course, one could raise Bill Clinton-like questions about what the meaning of the word "is" is. I thought Catholics would learn that from their catechist before their confirmation. (I didn't as my parents let me not go through with it since I never believed.)

Last edited:

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I'd define "is" as "exists/existing as", but that's essentially irrelevant.

I am (as many of you have probably discovered) Protestant Christian, not Catholic. The Pope bit is what really throws me off.

As for details, I think church is not necessary, but is beneficial for one's spirituality. I think communion is just symbolic and was put in motion as a constant reminder of Christ's sacrifice. I think baptism should be performed when the baptize-ee, as it were, chooses too, and is an urgent response to realizing salvation, not a necessity for it. Conversion is a major point for Christianity, and that's why I get to sounding preachy occasionally (IRL and here, it seems).

People are right in saying Christianity is a crutch, but only for people who understand they aren't immortal. Anyone can look out for themselves, but who would give all they have to give and leave themselves to an uncertain future if they thought there was nobody standing behind them?

If you don't believe that whatever religion you believe in is the right religion, do you really believe in the religion?

Isn't it funny that whenever you post "are you an atheist," all the people who would answer "no" are the people who answer most?

Last edited:

Agent Cobalt

Proud U.S. Army Soldier
    Years
    I'd define "is" as "exists/existing as", but that's essentially irrelevant.

I am (as many of you have probably discovered) Protestant Christian, not Catholic. The Pope bit is what really throws me off.

As for details, I think church is not necessary, but is beneficial for one's spirituality. I think communion is just symbolic and was put in motion as a constant reminder of Christ's sacrifice. I think baptism should be performed when the baptize-ee, as it were, chooses too, and is an urgent response to realizing salvation, not a necessity for it. Conversion is a major point for Christianity, and that's why I get to sounding preachy occasionally (IRL and here, it seems).

People are right in saying Christianity is a crutch, but only for people who understand they aren't immortal. Anyone can look out for themselves, but who would give all they have to give and leave themselves to an uncertain future if they didn't really think there was nobody standing behind them?

If you don't believe that whatever religion you believe in is the right religion, do you really believe in the religion?

Isn't it funny that whenever you post "are you an atheist," all the people who would answer "no" are the people who answer most?
    LOLZ, you summed up everything I was thinking. Fellow Protestant here.

Back