• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you an atheist?

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
    oooh no. I believe in the Holy Spirit, Jesus, and God.
    Really, I don't really think it's very good to be atheist. When you are in grave danger, who can you talk to that will solve your roblems? Anyway, don't think I hate atheists - I don't. I'm Christian, so being racist, antisemitic or whatever, is totally wrong. Just an opinion. I believe that everyone one is equal whether they believe in God or not.

- In the name of the Father, in the name of the Son, and in the Holy Spirit, Amen! :< -

Katria

~Prima Donna~
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Nov 29, 2009
    I'm a Protestant but I have friends from all walks of religion. I believe in God and that we'll Him when we die.

Skreamish

Mhm.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2012
    Yes, but I am not against any one who believes in any sort of god or higher power or some sort. Believe whatever you feel is right.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    Yes. But it isn't that I don't believe in god it is just that I need proof that he exists. I can't smell him, can I? No? Well, how do I know he exists? I can smell the person next to me, I can see them, I can hear them, I could feel them, and heck, I could even taste them if I really wanted to do. But can I do anything like that to this God?

When you are in grave danger, who can you talk to that will solve your roblems?
    When you are in grave danger and someone busts down the door and shoots the murderer in the face who is it? Definitely not god, it is usually the police.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I'm not sure what I am aside from a dedicated Lightningist. I was raised Catholic but the religion has never struck a chord with me and I really don't believe in it. I suppose if I had to categorize my beliefs, I'd be an atheist but apathy is probably a better fit.

There are so many religions and picking the right one just kind of seems hit-and-miss to me. The idea that I could dedicate my life to following some sort of faith only for it to be the "wrong" one doesn't really appeal to me so I'd rather just follow none of it and do my own thing instead of fretting over religion. If I die and it turns out one religion was right, oops. I'll worry about that then. Furthermore, I don't mind if any of my friends are overly religious or not, so long as they don't force their beliefs or lack thereof on me.

So for me, it's more: I can't prove that a God exists, nor can I prove a God doesn't exist, so I'm just gonna ignore the whole thing or decalre myself as God because I don't really care.

Mika

もえじゃないも
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2013
    I'm a Calvinist. n3n

I'm the purest form of evil there is so by no means am I an Atheist because I am a Calvinist which is far superior to a Lightningist but I'm not against Atheists or anything like that. I think more and more our world is turning into "You believe what you want, I'll believe what I want and instead of beating each other up with 2 x 4s, we can talk academically about our differences" I honestly believe nothing good comes from people saying to others 'my religion is better than your religion'. If people are open to hearing you blabber about your faith, then have fun. If they're not, no sense in beating them over the head with a weapon until they fall unconscious and or submit to your line of thinking. n3n

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2022
    I would count myself as an atheist. Yet unlike a lot of atheists I really don't care of religion. Yet a lot of atheists hate it which I can understand. But an "eye for an eye makes the whole world blind". Sometimes I am heckled for my beliefs (even by teachers >.>). But whatever...

ssj5goku5

Heard you like dem MUDKIPS!!!
    Years
    well to say the least i dont fully utterly believe in the bible no not at all in the least but i do believe that there is something, couldnt anywhere near tell you what, but there is something out there that is "immortal" so to speak if you will.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I would count myself as an atheist. Yet unlike a lot of atheists I really don't care of religion. Yet a lot of atheists hate it which I can understand. But an "eye for an eye makes the whole world blind". Sometimes I am heckled for my beliefs (even by teachers >.>). But whatever...

You really get heckled by teachers? And for being an Atheist? In my school it's the other way around. If you are religious people will very likely make fun of you a little. Besides I only know of 1 teacher at the moment who is religious, even the other RE teachers are atheist.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    Man, these threads usually end horribly, but on it marches :O

Anywho, yes, I am an atheist. I simply do not have faith in any higher beings, and I don't need this faith to rationalize life or death. I'm comfortable with my belief that we are all going to the same place after we die (wherever that may be), regardless of our individual beliefs.

In addition, I think there are huge shortcomings when it comes to organized religion. I have no problem with the fact people need religion for personal reasons or to help better the community, but once people start chucking bombs at each other because they believe in different gods, you kinda have to take a step back and ask yourself if it's really worth it. I'm also not too fond of the guilt trip most religions give you if you don't buy into what they're preaching, aka I don't believe in God so I'm going to hell or my soul won't be at rest or whatever. My life is going just fine, thank you very much >:

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    You really get heckled by teachers?
    That's how it is for me for not being religious. I don't get "heckled" (except by my mother), but I get plenty of disapproving facial expressions from teachers and students and I'm constantly supplied with church brochures.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
    i believe in a way i believe in heaven and hell my dad tells me were livin in hell at the moment but i went to a christian school for about 2 yrs so i guess so i am not a athesist

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I've always thought the same for every Religion thread that popped up on PC.

I do believe in my Catholic beliefs. In short: It's better to die believing in God and be wrong about his whole existence than to die not believing God and burning in eternal Hell.

That's my belief at least.
    Pascal's argument always bothers me. First of all, it's entirely self-serving. You really think that if your reason for believing in God is to prevent yourself from going to Hell, you're not going to go anyway? You don't think the all-knowing God would be smart enough to see through your clever plan? Give me a break.

And then there's the question of WHICH religion to believe, as I've already brought up. There are thousands of religions on this planet, and nearly every one has a clause that says that if you don't believe in that religion exclusively, bad things will happen to you. So why should anyone pick one religion over any other? They all seem to offer the same things to me, anyway.

Finally, the smoking gun against Pascal's argument is the fact that you may very well lose out if you believe in a religion that promises an afterlife if you're wrong. Why? Many people that believe in an afterlife structure their lives preparing for the next, which as we all know is far more important than the current life. This is all just a test anyway, right? It's not as though there isn't a whole new life waiting for me, so I won't bother trying to enjoy this one. Great plan, if there actually is an afterlife. If there isn't, those people threw away a big portion of their lives. The atheist, on the other hand, will live his or her life knowing that this is all there is, and try to make it count for something.

I live with the near-certainty that there's nothing after this, so I do what I can to make this life good for myself and others. If I thought there was some afterlife waiting for me, I'd probably be a lot more apathetic about my life.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 28, 2014
    No Im not a atheist. Im catholic, and I believe in God. But Im not the kinda of catholic that goes to church every sunday. I dont even go to a catholic church when I do go. My dad plays drums at a church thats for anyone who believes in Jesus/God.

Converge

Take One Last Breath
    Years
    Personally i have no faith in any religion

Imo its just a waste of time.

So i guess technically i am an atheist

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    On the note of Pascal again, It has a point to it (living a moral life and finding a neutral death isn't a big deal, but living an immoral or unacceptable life and finding a good-and-evil death would be a problem), but (using Christianity as an example once more) If the only reason for your faith is a self-serving one, it means nothing.

Of course, living religiously does not necessarily mean wasting your life. As far as personal comfort, church and religious events can actually make you feel really good. Socializing with people who are all on the same page is great, and many people enjoy singing. Being a moral person isn't a waste of time either. If you want a good nation, you need good people, and people are influenced by other people. Apathy is not universal.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    On the note of Pascal again, It has a point to it (living a moral life and finding a neutral death isn't a big deal, but living an immoral or unacceptable life and finding a good-and-evil death would be a problem), but (using Christianity as an example once more) If the only reason for your faith is a self-serving one, it means nothing.

Of course, living religiously does not necessarily mean wasting your life. As far as personal comfort, church and religious events can actually make you feel really good. Socializing with people who are all on the same page is great, and many people enjoy singing. Being a moral person isn't a waste of time either. If you want a good nation, you need good people, and people are influenced by other people. Apathy is not universal.
    I didn't say morality is a waste of time at all; in fact, I find it's an extremely interesting and applicable study. My meaning was that spending your time preparing for a next life that isn't there is, to me, much worse than living this life fully and finding out that there's something afterward. There are so many things in this world to be done; missing out on any of that in favor of rituals that turn out to be meaningless seems tragic to me.

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024
    I don't necessarily believe in God, but recently in a sort of half jokey way I question coincidences and would could be signs to myself.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016

I think the main problem with this is that if you want to join a religion so you don't go to hell if there turns out to be one, then which religion do you choose, I mean there are thousands, probably millions of them out there that say if you don't follow theirs you will be condemned to eternal damnation. The possibility is so low that you pick the right one that you may as well not even bother. In my opinion anyways.

Back