• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash's Personality in the B/W series (Best Wishes Series) *SPOILER*

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2011
    Well I have been watching the Best Wishes
    series in Japanese with English subtitles
    and I must say that Ash is pissing me off quite a bit.
    For some reason, they make him know nothing about
    pokemon again. He is terrible at battling, his pikachu is
    super weak against a new starter snivy (wtf), and overall
    he hasnt blabbed about his previous wins in other regions.

**also as a side note, I hate when ash gets all the starters on
    his team plus a dumb mamepato (the bird one). We already know
    the starters and have seen them, I want ash to train at least some
    cooler B/W pokemon.

Last edited:
    Years
    "Hey kids, Pikachu sucks now. Purchase Pokemon Black and White versions to capture the new Unova Pokemon! They're cooler, stronger, and they're new"

There's a good reason that our little idiot is acting like he's never trained Pokemon before. A skilled Ash with an extremely powerful Pikachu would simply be no fun to watch. I don't know about you, but I don't want to see Pikachu obliterate everything it meets. These little restarts help keep new kids (The target audience, mind you.) interested in the show. The anime is suppose to be about a 10 year-old boy on his journey to learn how to be a great Pokemon trainer. If Ash already knew everything he wouldn't be learning, now would he?

In other words, Ash will never age, Pikachu's power is always going to reset after each saga, and Ash will always revert back into a total newbie at the beginning of each region. It's a sad fact of life. Personally, I think Ash's failure to achieve his dreams has inspired a generation of pathetic betas.

I couldn't agree with you more when it comes to his BW team. They couldn't have made it any lees interesting.

Last edited:

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
    I can see that the writers are starting to go back into the old days of Pokemon. Satoshi has all three Pokemon starters which isn't bad but it would have been nice to see Dento having Snivy while Iris having Tepig instead of Satoshi hogging it all. Satoshi personality is usually the same every time they start a new season isn't it? He doesn't know much about Pokemon. Now as for Pikachu, it would be nice to see Pikachu win more battles then he already has. If they kept the way that Pikachu was at the end of Diamond and Pearl then Satoshi would probably just use only Pikachu for the whole entire Unova region which would be a bit boring. Kirbychu said most of the things I would have mentioned about Pikachu and Satoshi.

Years
    Satoshi personality is usually the same every time they start a new season isn't it?
    Usually. At the beginning of Hoenn Ash didn't really feel like a newbie at all, you could even say that he was May's mentor. When DP still felt like he knew the basics, but he seemed to have lost all of his battling skill. BW is like a total mind wipe. Ash must have had an encounter with a Hypno before he left for Unova. This explains the eyes.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2011
    @kirbychu - no no no. ofcourse, trust me I understand why they are doing this. It is so the new viewers have a protagonist that they can associate with, someone who is new to the region/saga. But Im saying for us old pokemon fans, it is a bit annoying. I just dont like how they repeat and restart intead of trying to further and pronounce it. The B/W saga is their biggest success in Japan so far, so I understand why they are trying to grasp old and young alike. But for us who grew up with pokemon, ash just looks like a dumba$$ again...

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I guess I'll be controversial today.

Well I never really get too bothered with it to be honest, it's kinda cool to see Ash start all over again.

Honestly, about pikachu - I think it would be stupid keeping Pikachu all powerful n' stuff because it would make all the gym leaders way too easy for Ash.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    "Hey kids, Pikachu sucks now. Purchase Pokemon Black and White versions to capture the new Unova Pokemon! They're cooler, stronger, and they're new"

There's a good reason that our little idiot is acting like he's never trained Pokemon before. A skilled Ash with an extremely powerful Pikachu would simply be no fun to watch. I don't know about you, but I don't want to see Pikachu obliterate everything it meets. These little restarts help keep new kids (The target audience, mind you.) interested in the show. The anime is suppose to be about a 10 year-old boy on his journey to learn how to be a great Pokemon trainer. If Ash already knew everything he wouldn't be learning, now would he?

In other words, Ash will never age, Pikachu's power is always going to reset after each saga, and Ash will always revert back into a total newbie at the beginning of each region. It's a sad fact of life. Personally, I think Ash's failure to achieve his dreams has inspired a generation of pathetic betas.

I couldn't agree with you more when it comes to his BW team. They couldn't have made it any lees interesting.

It's actually MORE irritating that he apparently never learned from the previous seasons at all. If he at least kept the basics of the trade up, it wouldn't seem as irritating. Now, he just seems to fleb in regards to even knowing how to throw a pokeball.

He may not have been all that great in the previous seasons, but he at least seemed to be somewhat of a veteran and know how things are supposed to work. This time, however, he seems to be making the exact same mistakes that Dawn, May, and even he made in the beginning of their careers, which isn't good at all, and actually cheapens his so-called veteranishness.

Honestly... It's times like these where replacing Ash actually would have been the better option. So what if people outcried? People outcried about Misty leaving as well, even citing that the shows ratings went down as a result, yet that never stopped the writers from outright ignoring us.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2011
    It's actually MORE irritating that he apparently never learned from the previous seasons at all. If he at least kept the basics of the trade up, it wouldn't seem as irritating. Now, he just seems to fleb in regards to even knowing how to throw a pokeball.

He may not have been all that great in the previous seasons, but he at least seemed to be somewhat of a veteran and know how things are supposed to work. This time, however, he seems to be making the exact same mistakes that Dawn, May, and even he made in the beginning of their careers, which isn't good at all, and actually cheapens his so-called veteranishness.

Honestly... It's times like these where replacing Ash actually would have been the better option. So what if people outcried? People outcried about Misty leaving as well, even citing that the shows ratings went down as a result, yet that never stopped the writers from outright ignoring us.

Exactly, they used to make it so that Ash was the smarter one (who was still learning) and someone else (dawn) was completely new. But now they have that new girl traveling with him who is as dumb as he is. Too much stupidity if you ask me. I mean, I understand if the makers want to point out that "Oh wow a water type should have an advantage over a fire type," but they literally do it 60 TIMES!!! and they make ash not know anything about pokeballs and all that stuff. Like, why is the new girl telling ash he needs to weaken a pokemon, cmon.

Years
    You know, I actually agree that replacing Ash would be the better option here. It is pretty awkward to see him go from being an outstanding trainer to just another greenhorn. Honestly, If Ash was replaced with the BW protagonist the ratings wouldn't really drop too much. New kids really wouldn't care, most have no attachment to Ash whatsoever. I'm positive that even the old viewers would get over it. Every generation we constantly hear people say that the new Pokemon games are garbage and change the original formula too much. They go on about how they'll never buy the games, yet they eat it up anyways. There's also quite a few people who want Ash to leave and like you already said, the writers hardly pay attention to us.

Years
    Huh. I was hoping for a topic like this. u_u
    But I'm out of stuff to say after I made that Do you want Ash to be replaced... thread. :\
    also as a side note, I hate when ash gets all the starters on
    his team plus a dumb mamepato (the bird one). We already know
    the starters and have seen them, I want ash to train at least some
    cooler B/W pokemon.
    I don't understand the reason why you said this. Ash can always catch more Pokemon and keeping switching the members of his party.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    You know, I actually agree that replacing Ash would be the better option here. It is pretty awkward to see him go from being an outstanding trainer to just another greenhorn. Honestly, If Ash was replaced with the BW protagonist the ratings wouldn't really drop too much. New kids really wouldn't care, most have no attachment to Ash whatsoever. I'm positive that even the old viewers would get over it. Every generation we constantly hear people say that the new Pokemon games are garbage and change the original formula too much. They go on about how they'll never buy the games, yet they eat it up anyways. There's also quite a few people who want Ash to leave and like you already said, the writers hardly pay attention to us.

Well, I don't know about everyone else who said that, but when I said that I won't buy any more Pokemon games or any other Pokemon merchandise, not even DVD boxed sets or movies when attempting to boycott the franchise American Revolution style until they brought Misty back, I meant it, and have never bought another game, not Platinum, not HeartGold/SoulSilver, and assuming they don't bring Misty back onto Pokemon, I won't buy Black and White, either. I even went as far as to not even buy the original series DVDs, period. Probably the only instance that I actually ended up getting something was the event Darkrai and an Orange Islands DVD boxed set, the former of which I had to consult with the other members of the Misty fanbase and my mom before I went ahead and did it just so I know if it breaks the boycott or not, and the latter was due to a mistake in the christmas list (I mentioned that it shouldn't be gotten, but my relatives misinterpreted).

In any case, I usually don't like it when characters are replaced, but if I have to choose between replacing a character, and basically turning that character from a veteran to a complete dumbdonkey for little to no real reason at all, I would have to choose removing that character, especially if there is no way to change the process.

BlindClown

Small blob with legs.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2012
    He should be replaced. Simple as. But (in a poor attempt to defend Ash) maybe it has something to do with the currently unknown chronology of this generation? Maybe it's been wedged between generations, and he's been lobotomized by the evil psychic time police to make sure that he doesn't bring up the continuity errors.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2011
    Huh. I was hoping for a topic like this. u_u
    But I'm out of stuff to say after I made that Do you want Ash to be replaced... thread. :\

I don't understand the reason why you said this. Ash can always catch more Pokemon and keeping switching the members of his party.

How do you not understand? lets think about this. Ash has the starters on his team right now. Not only does this mean that he intends to keep the pokemon for a long while, but its the 3 main pokemon of the series, I dont see why he would get rid of any of them in the anytime soon. Maybe he will switch out mamepato later on (though I doubt it) but as for now he has a semi-full team of pokemon that are pretty boring to me. Instead of having one or two spaces on his team for new, cooler B/W pokemon, he could have had 4-5 spaces if he didnt have all the starters.
    It just seems unrealistic and lame that he has all 3 starters, just take one and find new ones like other trainers lol.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    You think you're making a mark or any sizeable dent?

Even if not, I'm at least attempting to do my part in it. Besides, knowing economics, most companies would not take too well with a boycott anyways, even if the boycott was in a remote branch of the overall company chain. Knowing this, a mass boycott would do some wonders.

In either case, that was namely a response to someone who mentioned that some fans stated they wouldn't buy the new games and yet caved, citing an example of someone who said that he wouldn't and actually did keep to that vow.

He should be replaced. Simple as. But (in a poor attempt to defend Ash) maybe it has something to do with the currently unknown chronology of this generation? Maybe it's been wedged between generations, and he's been lobotomized by the evil psychic time police to make sure that he doesn't bring up the continuity errors.

The problem is that Ash still had some basics and memories of his journeys in Kanto and Johto when in Hoenn, even though Generation III was implied to be concurrent with Generation I.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Meh, Ash doesn't bother me that much in his "noob" state. Think of it this way: He got hit super hard on the head on the way back to Pallet Town offscreen.

As for McHairybug, I only have one thing to say about your silly boycott:

Spoiler:

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    Unova "Ash" isn't really Ash. He got abducted by Aliens and they sent a fake Ash to replace him, he has different eyes after all ;). Kind of like the Michael Jackson skit on Robot Chicken.

Joking aside, I wouldn't mind if they had Ash retain his pokemon knowledge from every region and actually appear as a grizzled veteran. I am getting rather sick of the dumb down and excuses of why Pikachu gets powered down each region.

What I would prefer to see happen is Ash catch six pokes and Pikachu is just his travling pokemon that he keeps in reserve for "special battles" like Gym Matches or important matches. I doubt they will every happen, so I am not going to get my hopes up on that one. If they want to dumb down or have a noob then get a whole new trainer. Marketing will probably not allow this though >_>.

As far as Ash having 3 starters it seems like lazy writing or at the very least uncreative. Yes he may be able to have a rotation going on throughout the region, but capturing one gives more possibilities outside of the starters which I would like to see.

Even if the keep the same antics going on I will still watch/play regardless. Boycotting LMAO that never gets anywhere anyways. If I am dissatisfied of something I will just drop it and not make a point about it. For every boycott from fans they probably get 3 new fans to the game so as far as Pokemon Co. is concerned go whine about your dislike of the games they will still be making loads of money regardless. So what if they change stuff up, would you prefer to keep it the same then have the series go stale?

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Meh, Ash doesn't bother me that much in his "noob" state. Think of it this way: He got hit super hard on the head on the way back to Pallet Town offscreen.

As for McHairybug, I only have one thing to say about your silly boycott:

Spoiler:

Even if the keep the same antics going on I will still watch/play regardless. Boycotting LMAO that never gets anywhere anyways. If I am dissatisfied of something I will just drop it and not make a point about it. For every boycott from fans they probably get 3 new fans to the game so as far as Pokemon Co. is concerned go whine about your dislike of the games they will still be making loads of money regardless. So what if they change stuff up, would you prefer to keep it the same then have the series go stale?

First off, my boycott was more directed towards some decisions the Anime made that proved to be a mistake. Second of all, in regards to this particular issue, it's not something that can easily be dropped, especially considering how this particular issue is related to something that is a very big problem in today's society as well as considered a sin in God's laws (Note, it's not related in any way to Ash, and in actuality was instigated two to three years prior to BW, related to a certain departed character, and trying to eliminate a certain stereotype on females). Lastly, I'll accept if you don't agree, but that does not mean you should actually laugh or mock me for my goal. I realize that there is a likely chance that this won't work. But guess what, so did many of the American Minutemen during the Revolutionary War when fighting against the British Army, yet it didn't stop them from trying to succeed in gaining America's Independence, which they did get despite all odds. If you want to just sit there and mock me, take it elsewhere, because honestly, mocking people for their beliefs really does show that you don't give a care for their opinions.

And anyways, we can't be so certain that marketing won't allow for Ash being replaced. Remember, people also didn't think that Snake of Metal Gear would have been replaced as a main character, yet he did, and had only four games in which he was the actual main character, 4 1/3 if one counts the Tanker Chapter in Metal Gear Solid 2, and did it affect the sales of Metal Gear Solid/Metal Gear for the lack of Solid Snake? No, far from it.

Plus, even IF the Anime series, for some reason or another, ended up getting cancelled, that does not mean that the Games will be affected. The Mario cartoons, which served a similar purpose, ended up cancelled, yet its cancellation obviously did little to affect the series.

Ash being electrified by Zekrom could explain his memory and skill loss... But then again... He was shocked by Pikachu a few times AFTER his power was boosted to high levels anyways and didn't suffer that much of a memory loss. I know that Zekrom's supposed to be stronger, but still... It just seems annoying that they'd have him do so without any actual reason. Heck, if they at least stated that his brain was rattled by Zekrom by either Delia or Prof. Oak, that would have been good enough for me if I read the summaries.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    Boycotting products played a pivotal role in the overall victory of the American Revolution? Cause from what I understand it is the soliders that played the key role not boycotting products. Boycotting British taxation on Americans being oppressed for outrageous taxes it quite different then boycotting something as menial as game or anime because you don't like new aspects instituted into it. Doesn't seem like Gamefreak is being a tyrannical force raising their goods to outrageous prices. And I am not laughing at you specifically, but boycotts and petitions in general, so take it however you want.

Ash may have been shocked, but this shock could have been used as a plot device like it was too Pikachu when it essentially reset his power.

Kimicatdemon

One who randomly returns!
    Years
    Just look at it this way instead:
    Spoiler:

Back