• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Attack Explanations

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2009
    Attack Questions / Explanations

I am new to the TCG and I have a couple of questions about how to treat some of the attacks:

1) Tauros (74/146) in Legends Awakened has an attack called "Thrash" with attack damage of 40+. Under the attack reads, "Flip a coin, if heads this attack does 40 damage plus 20 more damage. If tails, Tauros does 10 damage to itself."

Question
    • If I flip tails, do I still do 40 damage to the defending pokemon (not counting weakness or resistance). The reason I ask is because to me, the card reads "Do 40 damage to defending. Flip Coin. If heads do an additional 20 to defending, if tails do an additional 10 to itslef"; otherwise, why isn't the card a 60+, and reads, "if heads do 60 to defending, if tails do 10 to itself."
    2) Regirock (38/146) in Legends Awakened has a Poke-Power called "Regi Cycle". Once during your turn, if you have a Fighting energy card in your discard pile, you may discard 2 cards from your hand, then attach a fighting energy card from your discard pile to regirock. This power can't be used if regirock is affected by a special condition.

Question:
    • Can I still execute this if I only have 1 card in hand?
    • Can I still execute this if I already have attached an energy card to a pokemon this turn?
    3) Gilgar (94/146) in Legends Awakened has an attack "Light Poison" with an attack damage of 10. Under the attack reads, "Flip a coin, if tails, this attack does nothing, if heads, the defending pokemon is now Poisoned."

Question
    • Does the coin flip only refer to the poisoning of the pokemon, and my pokemon will do 10 damage with this attack no matter the results of the coin flip?
    • If I get heads, do I do 10 damage to the pokemon, then my turn immediately ends and the defending pokemon takes 10 more damage because it is poisoned?
    4) Gliscor (5/146) in Legends Awakened has an attack "Burning Poison" with 0 attack damage. Under the attack reads, "Choose either Burned or Poisoned. The Defending Pokemon is now affected by that Special Condition. You may return Gliscor and all cards attached to it to your hand.

Question
    • Once I retreat Gliscor to my hand, does all damage and special conditions disappear? I understand if I retreat to my bench, all special conditions disappear and damage does not, but retreating to one's hand would be impossible to keep track of damage without writing it down. Also, if I have more than one of that type of Pokemon in my hand, then how would I keep them separated? Also, since I return all my cards, would the damage be applied to each Basic, Stage 1, and Stage 2?
    • If I don't have a benched Pokemon, I cannot retreat Gliscor to my hand?
    • Is retreating Gliscor to my hand an option? I assume it is, since the word "may" is used.

Last edited:
    Years
    I am new to the TCG and I have a couple of questions about how to treat some of the attacks:
    1) Tauros (74/146) in Legends Awakened has an attack called "Thrash" with attack damage of 40+. Under the attack reads, "Flip a coin, if heads this attack does 40 damage plus 20 more damage. If tails, Tauros does 10 damage to itself."
    Question
    • If I flip tails, do I still do 40 damage to the defending pokemon (not counting weakness or resistance). The reason I ask is because to me, the card reads "Do 40 damage to defending. Flip Coin. If heads do an additional 20 to defending, if tails do an additional 10 to itslef"; otherwise, why isn't the card a 60+, and reads, "if heads do 60 to defending, if tails do 10 to itself."
    Yes you do still do 40 damage to the defending Pokemon. 40 is the base damage, and the heads result is extra damage that would be done if the coin landed on heads. Any damage done to yourself doesn't affect how much damage you do to the defending Pokemon, since each Pokemon has its own HP value.
    2) Regirock (38/146) in Legends Awakened has a Poke-Power called "Regi Cycle". Once during your turn, if you have a Fighting energy card in your discard pile, you may discard 2 cards from your hand, then attach a fighting energy card from your discard pile to regirock. This power can't be used if regirock is affected by a special condition.
    Question:
    • Can I still execute this if I already have attached an energy card to a pokemon this turn?
    First question: no.
    Second question: Yes. That is it's purpose. It's supposed to be energy acceleration.
    3) Gilgar (94/146) in Legends Awakened has an attack "Light Poison" with an attack damage of 10. Under the attack reads, "Flip a coin, if tails, this attack does nothing, if heads, the defending pokemon is now Poisoned."
    Question
    • Does the coin flip only refer to the poisoning of the pokemon, and my pokemon will do 10 damage with this attack no matter the results of the coin flip?
    • If I get heads, do I do 10 damage to the pokemon, then my turn immediately ends and the defending pokemon takes 10 more damage because it is poisoned?
    First question: Yes.
    Second question: Since that is what most poison type attacks do for poison damage (there is 1 or 2 attacks on the cards that doesn't, in the game's 10 year history), that is correct. Unless they changed the rule, Poison damage is taken between each player's turn. So it would be: Player A's turn, -10 HP, Player B's turn, -10 HP, Player A's turn, -10 HP, etc.
    4) Gliscor (5/146) in Legends Awakened has an attack "Burning Poison" with 0 attack damage. Under the attack reads, "Choose either Burned or Poisoned. The Defending Pokemon is now affected by that Special Condition. You may return Gliscor and all cards attached to it to your hand.
    Question
    • Once I retreat Gliscor to my hand, does all damage and special conditions disappear? I understand if I retreat to my bench, all special conditions disappear and damage does not, but retreating to one's hand would be impossible to keep track of damage without writing it down. Also, if I have more than one of that type of Pokemon in my hand, then how would I keep them separated? Also, since I return all my cards, would the damage be applied to each Basic, Stage 1, and Stage 2?
    • Is retreating Gliscor to my hand an option? I assume it is, since the word "may" is used.
    [/QUOTE]

First Question: Yes. That stuff only is in effect when in play, which is the Bench and your Active Pokemon. You do have to start over with the Pokemon's evolution tree, though, if you do this, since the Pokemon left play.
    Second Question: It doesn't explicitly say you can't take it back to your hand, but if you want to win, this would not be a good idea at all, since your opponent would win if you had no Pokemon left in play.
    Third Question: Yes, I believe so. It wouldn't say "may" if you had to do it.

Hope I didn't miss a question.:D

Nitrous Oxide

Korporate Amerika
    Years
    Actually, when an attack says "Flip a coin. If tails this attack does nothing", it refers to the base damage as well. Or else it would just say "Flip a coin. If heads, the Defending Pokemon is now Poisoned."

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    You'll get better with practice. Just read the card, and apply logic to its statement. Most of the cards are fairly easy to understand (once you get going). I recommend that you play with someone who has a little experience. Tell them you are a newb, and have them walk you through your first, and maybe second game. It should all fall into place short after.

Good luck, and have fun!

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years

Question
    Yes, in all circumstances (except for when the attack does nothing), you do the base damage regardless of the special effect/coin flip. So in this case, think of it as an attack dealing recoil damage. On tails, Tauros does 40 to the defending Pokémon and 10 to itself. On heads, it's 60.

As you why it doesn't say "If heads do 60 damage; if tails do 40 damage and 10 to yourself," I don't know. Apparently Wizards of the Coast thought that 40+ made more sense in this instance, when they made the conventions for the card game several years back.

Question:
    • Nope. The discard 2 cards is the cost of the ability. You must discard both for it to work.
    • Yes. Unless it specifically says otherwise, abilities that say you can attach an energy card to something can be done on the same turn you have already used your normal energy card limit.

Question
    • Your Pokémon does the base damage unless otherwise stated (IE: "This attack does nothing.")
    • Unless they've changed the rules (and they really might have), as you end your turn, Poison does damage. I'd suggest reading over the exact words of the most recent rulebook (which I don't have handy).

Question
    • All conditions and damage disappear. It becomes just another card in your hand and if you play it again, it's like you're playing a completely different card, nothing transfers over. As for the basics, I would say yes, but I've read a recent card where the lower evolutions were referred to as "under" the evolved form. So, I'd think only energy and possibly trainers are consider attached. So he might devolve to Gligar in this case. I'm not certain, I'm too rusty on this.
    • Of course not. If you could, that'd be akin to forfeiting, anyways. Just in a spectacular, ninja-like fashion.
    • May is a choice. Like the Regirock ability, you don't have to discard two cards from your hand and have to put a Fighting energy somewhere every turn. It's something you can do.

Raikou Trainer

Competitive Pokemon TCG player
    Years

As you why it doesn't say "If heads do 60 damage; if tails do 40 damage and 10 to yourself," I don't know. Apparently Wizards of the Coast thought that 40+ made more sense in this instance, when they made the conventions for the card game several years back.

Wizards didn't make that decision. The cards were originally made in Japan, Wizards simply translated them.

The most likely reason as to why some attacks have (damage)+ is to show that the attack can do additional damage and sometimes additional effects.

For the Regirock question, if a card says to "discard x number of cards", that means you have to discard exactly that many. If it says "discard up to x number of cards", that means you can choose any number.

As for the Gliscor questions, first there is no text on the card saying that you can't return Gliscor to your hand if you have no Benched Pokemon. Simply put, yes you can return it to your hand, but then you will lose the game. The same thing applies to Uxie from Legends Awakened.

Second, any card that says "you may" means you can choose to apply the effect or not.

Back