• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Australian 2010 Federal Election

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    On August 21st, all Australian citizens over 18 will have their say on who they want to be Prime Minister (and the party in power). You may recall this thread, where Julia Gillard became Prime Minister - however, she was not elected by the people. The time will come tomorrow when she faces off against Tony Abbott.

Background information: both weren't born in Australia, male vs female, Abbott is Liberal, Gillard is Labor. It has been said to have been the most boring election campaign in a while (according to media analysis).

This thread is for who you think will win, who you'll vote for (if you want to give out that information and are old enough - if you aren't, who would you vote for?) and the results of the election itself. You can mention if you want to vote for other minor parties too, and why.

If you're from another country, Google their names and look at their policies and decide who you think would be better off for Australia.

Personally, I'll be voting for Gillard. Something about Abbott just... is wrong.

Years
    I'm nine months under the age limit to vote :(. But if I could vote, I would vote for Labor in the Lower House and probably the Greens in the Upper House. Honestly though, this has been the most boring election campaign I've witnessed in my life so far. Both are playing it way too safe and their policies in most areas are almost identical. My hope is that neither party gets the majority in the Lower House and there's a hung parliament, that way an independent might be appointed as Prime Minister with Ministers being picked from both parties.

Even though I don't like either party much, I'd vote for Labor over Liberal; my parents almost lost their jobs under Howard and would certainly have lost them if he was re-elected. That and Tony Abbott and his party are stuck in the dark ages. But again I stress that this election campaign is boring. Both parties are incredibly focused on getting into or retaining power instead of looking after the Australian people like they should be doing.

EDIT: NICE, hung parliament. Best possible situation, both parties get a reality check. Hopefully we don't have to put up with such bad politics again for a while.

Last edited:

Happy Azumarill

All society is one big pie
    Years
    i could really give a damn, i am not enrolled to vote, because either way the country is screwed no matter who wins. if i had to vot anyone it would be family first, greens lost all what there all about, and the two big parties are screwed up.

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
    I'm to young. If I was old enough I'd probably vote the greens in upper house and labor in the lower house. (that's how it works isn't it?). Or maybe I'd vote that other party. Abbott just gives me the creeps for some reason and I don't agree what his promising. But I'm not very well informed in all this politics stuff.

Years
    Someone seems to have gotten here before me. 8(
    Australia heads for hung parliament

Australian 2010 Federal Election

Julia Gillard tells supporters in Melbourne that it could be days before a result is known

Australia appears to be heading for a hung parliament, with neither of the two main rivals likely to win the 76 seats needed for an outright majority.

ABC Australia is predicting 73 seats for the opposition coalition, 72 for ruling Labor, one for the Greens and four independents.
    PM Julia Gillard vowed that she would "keep fighting".
    Opposition leader Tony Abbott said it was clear Ms Gillard's Labor had lost its majority and its legitimacy.

The election comes two months after Ms Gillard ousted Kevin Rudd in a controversial leadership challenge.

Marginal seats

Australia has not had a hung parliament since 1940.

A handful of MPs may well hold the balance of power after the final result is known. The BBC's Nick Bryant, in Sydney, says they will try to get best deal they can for their constituencies and there may well be some pork barrel politics over the next few days as Ms Gillard and Mr Abbott try to gather some loose coalition or arrangement that will give them power.
    Speaking to supporters is Melbourne, Ms Gillard quoted the words of former US President Bill Clinton when saying "the people have spoken but it's going to take some time to determine exactly what they have said".
    "Obviously this is too close to call, there are many seats where the result is undecided and where it will take a number of days to determine the result.
    "What we know is there will be a number of independents in the House of Representatives playing a role as the next government of Australia is formed.
    "There are anxious days ahead, but I will keep fighting".
    Mr Abbott told supporters in Sydney: "This is a night for pride in our achievements, satisfaction at the good results that have been achieved but also a measure of reflection on the magnitude of the task ahead."

He said the coalition was "back in business" and would try to form a government. Labor would "never be able to govern effectively in a minority", he said.
    Mr Abbott said there should be "no premature triumphalism but an appreciation that this has been a great night for the Australian people".
    "I feel humbled as I think of the responsibilities that could lie ahead," he said.
    Initial counting had given Labor a marginal lead over Mr Abbott's coalition - but other results suggested heavy swings against Labor, in particular in the key states of Queensland and New South Wales.
    Voting is compulsory in Australia, with 14 million registered voters.
    Dang, this is like the second time this year a too close to call election has occurred in the Former British Empire and it's Commonwealth. :/

i could really give a damn, i am not enrolled to vote, because either way the country is screwed no matter who wins. if i had to vot anyone it would be family first, greens lost all what there all about, and the two big parties are screwed up.

A Tweet from the top BMGf Aussie Admin:
    https://twitter.com/LiamPomfret/status/21738331612

For all those people who intentionally lodged informal votes. F---. You. This is the closest election in ages. Your vote mattered.
    Also:

Last edited:

Zet

Years
    I kinda wish I knew about what the Australian Sex Party was about before voting, but I really hope they get into the senate since I really want to see Australia allowing same sex marriage and no censorship on crap.

PZLMKBB

Begining Hacker
    Years
    hmmm yes if I could vote Greens in the senate!!!! I have to lezbain friends over MSN that love eachother so much! and the big partys screw us over in one way or another with those taxs =__= I think Gillard is just going to get in by 1seat... like Peitre (my votting area) got in by doneky voters wich personaly i think was stupid, my citzenship and legal studys class did that, I was the only libearl lol but anyway if I could vote senate these are my top 2

1.Greens (go gay marraige!)
    2.The Austrilain Sex Party (woot awsome names)

to finish up if I could make a party it would be partyof flying elephants!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    As of a few minutes ago, Labor finally won after two of the other independants decided to support Labor. :D No article yet... but yay!!!

Personally, I think this was a great decision, because I really didn't trust the Liberals, so I'm all happy!

...hopefully next election it doesn't take 2 weeks to pick a winner. >____________>;

Oh and that means Gillard is technically now the first elected female Prime Minister.

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    Awesome. I mean, Abbott and his speedos is just wrong. Plus he has big ears. And didn't he support the internet thing with the banning and the stuff? And did anyone watch Good News Week where they were making fun of how Gillard speaks and with her hands?

EDIT: i have like, no idea what they're doing for the country, I judge every candidate by their looks and how much of a douche they look like.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Actually, pretty sure that was Labor who wanted to censor, but they did have the better broadband network, so it worked out well in the end.

Aaand I think I did, though I noticed last night all they did was make fun of Abbott, so... generally, from what I've been hearing, everyone's just happy Abbott didn't get in and doesn't really care about the minority government.

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    As unlikely as it would be, imagine if the Greens guy got it? A female, then gay PM. How exciting for Australia. And it wasn't last night, last week I think. There was stuff about Gillard's hands. I didn't really realise until I watched something with her in it how right they were.

In other news, HELLO NICA HOW HAVE YOU BEEN?

Back