• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen B2/W2 to somehow connect with B/W?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cello

Tonight!
Years
  • Through magick.
    Didn't see a topic this could fit in, sooo...

Recently Masuda posted to his (Japanese, not English) blog, stating that if you have Black, get Black 2, and if you have White, get White 2.
    The wonky Google translate is trying to tell me:
    "If you have ever played the black is
    that it knows the difference between When you play a black two, I recommend! "
    I swear, Google translate is like trying to communicate with someone whose being put under for surgery...

This statement has been driving twitter crazy, so I figured i'd bring it here to a topic so it could drive you guys crazy! (You're welcome.)

What do you think Masuda's purpose in stating that is?
    He could have just as easily let someone get the opposite version, or tell us to just get both, but instead told us to get the version similar in colors.
    Could the DS possibly hold memory from the cartidge into the system for a in-game bonus?

Catridge games are very well possible of doing this, as it's been done numerous times on the GBA(Golden Sun comes to mind). I'm fairly certain it's been done with a Monster Rancher game on the DS as well.

Discuss!

Last edited:

Goblinaro

[Insert creative title here]
    Years
  • What I'm wondering now is if the 3DS will "know the difference" whether you've played either Black or White when you play Black 2 or White 2, or whether this is limited to the DS/lite/i/XL.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Most likely its cause the opposite Legend Dragon is available in that version. If you Played White and got Zekrom, then Play White 2 and get Reshiram. Or something like that.

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • I was thinking that as well, or perhaps it having something to do with carrying over your Hilda/Hilbert information so it knows what trainer you beat B/W with.

I was also thinking that maybe it could carry over:
    -Elite 4 records (To be displayed within the game)
    -Your B/W character's team in order to battle them, though this is a stretch because there's an opportunity to really mess up Hilda/Hilbert if they have all level 100 pokemon. Would be challenging, nonetheless!
    -Connections with Ferris Wheel people. Idk, weird thought.

And @Goblinaro
    They're making it sound like the system is going to take care of everything through either built-in memory or perhaps the SD Card (Doubt it, as not every DS had SD card capabilities.).
    I was thinking it would just be a matter of B2/W2 asking you to remove the B2/W2 cartridge temporarily and put in your B/W cartridge while it gathers saved information.

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2012
    Hmm, I'm not sure, the original ds and ds lite freeze if you take the cartridge out while the system is playing the game, guess that's just a software issue though.

I know the 3ds keeps track of what games you play and how long, guess they can run some black magic somehow.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    It keeps track of outside info, but if I played on another DS for a day, the 3DS won't add the time I logged in on the other DS when it updates the 3DS's time. Nothing is saved on the actual DS's. I've checked memory on my 3DS and DSlite before when a friend wanted to do experiments on the subject.

The only way to do a cartridge to cartridge info transfer would be to have two separate DS's and two separate games, except in the DS and lite's case of the Dongle feature which could read from two games on one system.

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2022
    I think this just means that the story will continue, N will likely be in it with the 'other' Dragon which will give Kyurem it's power to change forms (explaining why White Kyurem is on the cover of White 2), plus White Forest and Opelucid City will remain the same and the games will feel like true sequels.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
  • If the save data couldn't be passed through the DS 'saving' the information, could the data not be uploaded to the internet, and then downloaded to BW2? Similar to the Dream World functionality, but expanded.

This seems sort of unlikely, though.

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • I think this just means that the story will continue, N will likely be in it with the 'other' Dragon which will give Kyurem it's power to change forms (explaining why White Kyurem is on the cover of White 2), plus White Forest and Opelucid City will remain the same and the games will feel like true sequels.

That makes a lot of sense, but at the same time it doesn't really explain why Masuda was talking about the system knowing which one you previously played.

It's a little difficult to tell what all of this means, but for the time being there's no harm in having a little fun and speculating. :P

@Daydream
    You never know! Though i'm not really that familiar with the Dream World function, so I wasn't aware of the game data being uploaded to the internet.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • Telling people which version to buy might help a customer make up his mind and buy the game. So, there is some marketing value in the statement.

Other than that, the only difference between each game is the Dragons and you might need All Three to use Kyurem's new forms.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    I think it has to do with the storyline and focuses on all 3 legendary dragons. You may need to transfer over your dragon caught in B/W for something in game.

Years
  • I believe that Masuda was saying that if you've played Black then if you play Black 2 then you will see the differences between the games and that's why he recommends it.

「ブラックをプレイしたことがある方は、
    ブラック2をプレイするとその違いが分かるので、お奨めです!!」

I could be wrong, but that's how I read the Japanese.

So I don't think there is any kind of technical game linkage thing like you're all thinking there might be.

Asuf

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    Telling people which version to buy might help a customer make up his mind and buy the game. So, there is some marketing value in the statement.

Other than that, the only difference between each game is the Dragons and you might need All Three to use Kyurem's new forms.

It sure helped me make up my mind! Black 2 it is....
    What about the Dreamworld? It holds data from B/W, maybe B2/W2 will have some sort of connection in that area?

I believe that Masuda was saying that if you've played Black then if you play Black 2 then you will see the differences between the games and that's why he recommends it.

「ブラックをプレイしたことがある方は、

So I don't think there is any kind of technical game linkage thing like you're all thinking there might be.

I agree with this, I mean, why would you get White 2 if you played Black?

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I believe that Masuda was saying that if you've played Black then if you play Black 2 then you will see the differences between the games and that's why he recommends it.

「ブラックをプレイしたことがある方は、

So basically Black 2 will relate/be a sequel to Black, and White 2 will be one for White? Hmm. Now I wonder if I should change my mind about getting White 2.

I wonder what this means though.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I agree, it sounds like this is mearly saying they are sequels of the past games rather than talking about a something special, pratically he's telling us to compare the games directly with the previous one by that title.

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • I believe that Masuda was saying that if you've played Black then if you play Black 2 then you will see the differences between the games and that's why he recommends it.

「ブラックをプレイしたことがある方は、

Bah, well if so that's disappointing, and also the last time I jump to conclusions after reading a Marriland tweet without checking other sites, though he said Serebii reported on it prior.
    I somewhat figured that's what it meant, but at the same time there is a lot they could do with a feature like that, especially in the first true sequel to a Pokemon game.

Still, that's some pretty good information, as it's pretty much confirmed that this game is going to tie a lot of loose ends.

On a separate note, perhaps I should learn Japanese and not use Google translate as a crutch in translations involving Japanese.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'm going to get both, so this doesn't really matter much to me, however, it does make me worry about when I import Black 2. Not sure if language will be a problem. I don't see it being a problem, but you never know.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back